Hybrid View

RC Enthusiast

Warning: GPM Drive shafts

Do not buy the GPM drive shafts (SERV245). These drive shafts are weaker than the stock shafts. I went over a rough spot in my back yard grass and one broke. The other broke on a small jump (2ft high). Please save you money and go a diffferent route.

the toyz sell two different GPM shafts - aluminum and steel : which material are these?

aluminum:

steel :

looks like the steel ones.

Darn - I was just ready to pull the trigger on a purchase.
    Last edited by noir 522; 05-10-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    The ones I have do say steel on the package. I have not tried the aluminum ones, let us know how they work out if you get them.

I dont have them - now I am afraid to buy them
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    uff ... that's bad. I have such aluminium center driveshafts. I have four driveshafts for the wheels but the thinn steel like this:
    http://www.gohobbies.com/item/Traxxas/7051X.html
    I did two drives for now with 3s-lipo, no prob.
    the torque of the summit with 3slipo is amazing ... it's hard for all the materials
    Last edited by chrizz; 05-11-2011 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrizz View Post
    uff ... that's bad. I have such aluminium center driveshafts. I have four driveshafts for the wheels but the thinn steel like this:

I did two drives for now with 3s-lipo, no prob.
    the torque of the summit with 3slipo is amazing ... it's hard for all the materials
    Do they allow the full articulation? If you have a soft/crawler setting on you shocks will the cv joint slip out at the extreme angles?
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Do they allow the full articulation? If you have a soft/crawler setting on you shocks will the cv joint slip out at the extreme angles?
    I have had them slip out of the rear's several times, but that should now be resolved as I am using the rpm carriers which are thicker and need to have the pivot balls threaded in further (while maintaining full range of motion of course). I am looking to try other shafts though, they JUST fit, and under extreme bashing I don't want to have to worry about the shafts popping out.
    Mini Summit / Rally

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by eurofocus View Post
    I have had them slip out of the rear's several times, but that should now be resolved as I am using the rpm carriers which are thicker and need to have the pivot balls threaded in further (while maintaining full range of motion of course). I am looking to try other shafts though, they JUST fit, and under extreme bashing I don't want to have to worry about the shafts popping out.
    Alright, for the record lol... I think i've resolved this problem. The shock mounting point on the chassis was not tightened down properly. (not in the notches) so it was somewhat loose too and not holding the shocks tight. Although a small mistake the shocks had play which would let the trx cvd's pop out because of it under HARD cartwheels lol. So far, the cvd's seem like the bulletproof option, and DO in fact work when everything is installed properly and tightened down. lol
    Mini Summit / Rally

RC Racer
    Maybe I just had a bad pin or cup.. I replaced the pin and then on 3s lipo it snaped it or lost it again .. I'm thinking that it messed the pin hole up in the cup when the first one let go.. and the second pin just went too from the ovaled out hole..

IMHO Seems like they could have put bigger pins in the cups and also devised a better way to hold them in other than a tiny o-ring.. Just my 2 cents

RC Qualifier

Yep they are junk.. I had some on my Merv....
    If it is unbreakable, I'll break it.

RC Racer
    wow hope they come out with a better option .. I bought the cvd's and had a pin let go on the rear with 3s lipo.. replaced the rears with stock merv's and so far it's holding .. but afraid to go all out in 3s. Kinda wished they made something bullet proof in the drive line area so we could enjoy the full power with out dropping more money into this area.. but yeah I know the next thing would be something else letting go.. it's kinda a pain to have to tear it all down to change out the drive pins with cups and then go back again within 2 runs..

RC Qualifier
    Ok...need to upgrade my drive shaft...was gonna start a thread but did a search on here...and got this so...i figure i'd just add to it...

I need to upgrade my drive shafts...so i hear GPM is no good...I WILL NEVER BUY INTEGY AGAIN...(will post up pics and project later)...

can anybody recommend a strong good set (link if possible?)...will be making a purchase in the next few days...

RC Competitor
    What is is wrong with the stock shafts? Do you just want metal? My stock shafts haven't had any problems with NIMH in series which gives 14.4V which is more than I think a 3S at 11.1V. BTW, the Summit rear A Arms have a slightly wider track than a Revo and give more wheelbase.

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    the best steel shafts from all the posts ive read are the traxxas steel cvds...