RC Enthusiast

VXL pinion gear recommendations.

I recently picked up my vxl summit and after lipo's I realized I don't need this top speed. I like to bash and grass is my terrain quite frequently so I'd like to step my pinion down slightly. It appears that traxxas doesn't have anything available smaller than a 16T and I don't believe a 55t spur will be enough. From what I've found the shaft size is 3mm on the brushless motor, will these pinions work? http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalo...on.html#nickle

Shaft Diameter: 3.15mm
    1/8": 3.17mm

They should fit on the shaft just fine.
    But, I am not sure they will mesh properly with the spur as something may be in the way for the motor to move far enough over.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I know you can fit a 14 tooth pinion, I don't know about any smaller than that. You will just have to try, and watch your temps, gearing down too much can have the same effect as gearing too high, with heat.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

Quote Originally Posted by westoakmech View Post
    I know you can fit a 14 tooth pinion, I don't know about any smaller than that. You will just have to try, and watch your temps, gearing down too much can have the same effect as gearing too high, with heat.
    Very true.

What cell count of LiPo are you using?
    If you have the stock ESC, you can cut speed by 50% using training mode.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    I have 2s lipos in parallel. I didn't realize gearing it too low would create esc issues too, good to know, thanks guys. I don't want it to be training mode slow necessarily.... I rarely hold max speed for very long, usually only do it to demonstrate to others its capabilities, so top speed isn't something I care much about. Big tires are likely a future mod along with the upgraded center diff and some thicker oil in the diffs. Maybe I'll just experiment and get the 14 and 15t pinion. I'm older and come from relatively highly modified nitros so I know just enough to get myself into trouble with the electrics. I will say though I should've gone electric a long time ago. I appreciate the help guys.

RC Enthusiast
    Just an update. I put a 15t pinion in my rc and had decent results. I broke an axle after one battery and the esc put me into limp mode, due to heat, as well. I don't know if the axle was binding slightly causing enough drag to make things work harder or what. After I get it back together I'll get some more run time with it and keep everyone posted.

RC Enthusiast
    I tried the 15T Robinson and the grub screw interfered with the gear mesh (on my VXL with stock spur) - Z*, this wasn't an issue?

RC Competitor
    Robinson Racing has pinions down to 12T in1/8 that will work. You can also invert the tranny and put on the 55T spur vs the 50 that is stock. We inverted the tranny, added a 55T spur and used the stock 16T pinion it will crawl over just about anything and top speed is about 17 plus