RC poster

Batteries question...again

Just ordered the pede vxl 4x4. I should have it friday. It will be my first rc car.

Got a few questions.

1 I have a duratrax 200 charger. Do i need a adapter to use it with the provided battery?

2 the charger got 1a, 3a and 5a. What should i use for the first charge? Keep the same settings for all the charge?

3 i want to buy a second nimh battery. What are the suggestion for speed and long play time. Right now i dont want lipo. I want to get use to it before.

4 with nimh do you need to disc
    harge the battery after play. Can you charge even if it still have some power in it

Thanks a lot

RC Racer
    1) You will prolly need an adapter for most batteries, for that charger. They are about 5$.... You need the ONYX 235 or 240 to start using LIPOS.

2) It depends on the MAH of the battery. IE: 3000MAH, use 3a charge current. MAH/1000 = charge current
    You can charge under the charge current formula, but don't charge over. So you could use 1a for 3000mah, but don't
    use 5a.

3) Venom 5000mah 7cell(great run time)---- or----- 4200mah Traxxas 7cell

4)No, you don't have to discharge NIMHs. You can charge it back up to full, even if you don't use the NIMH battery at all. They are not memory batteries, so after using the NIMH for whatever amount of time, you can charge it back to full.
    -To take care of NIMH batteries, you should charge them as close to the time your going to run it as possible. It's not the end of the world if u charge it and don't use it for a few days, but you will have longer pack life if you charge the NIMHs right before you run them. Just let the battery cool to room Temp., then go.

READ ALL MANUALS: Truck,charger,battery manuals before using anything.

THX
    2wd Slash MMP/3800kv/Savox1258tg

RC poster
    Thanks for the answers.

Do duratrax batteries are good?

RC Racer
    Don't know, never had 1. Actually I had a 6cell Duratrax NIMH 20years ago...LOL...I guess it was good.?.

I only have the batteries that I wrote about above.

Your Welcome

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by devilix View Post
    Just ordered the pede vxl 4x4. I should have it friday. It will be my first rc car.

Got a few questions.

1 I have a duratrax 200 charger. Do i need a adapter to use it with the provided battery?

2 the charger got 1a, 3a and 5a. What should i use for the first charge? Keep the same settings for all the charge?

3 i want to buy a second nimh battery. What are the suggestion for speed and long play time. Right now i dont want lipo. I want to get use to it before.

4 with nimh do you need to disc
    harge the battery after play. Can you charge even if it still have some power in it

Thanks a lot
    (Just a little added detail)

1. If it comes with a white connector (Tamiya) on your charger, then yes you will need one. Just ask your hobby shop for a female Tamiya or Molex connector to Traxxas male.

2. The batteries that are supplied with the Stampede 4x4 should be charged at no more than 3 amps, and the lower the amperage you charge your batteries, the better it is for the packs longevity.

3. Duratrax is good, Promatch NiMh packs have a better history of performance, but they also come with a bigger price. You should be just fine with a 5000 mAh Duratrax battery. You definitely should be thinking about going LiPo, it's a whole different world.

4. This is question SO debated in the community today. Read this article, it best explains how you should charge your NiMh's.
    http://www.greenbatteries.com/nibafa.html#NiMH%20memory
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I have a buddy who has both a 4600 and a 5000mah 7cell duratrax battery and they are both excellent. But, oddly enough, the 4600 performs WAY better and last WAY longer. I believe 4600mah Nimh cells are, in general, better cells than the 5000's.

Also, Venom NIMH packs have a TERRIBLE reputation for wearing out very fast, overheating easily and to the point the plastic melts, having cells simply fail or, worst case... pop (essentially explode). It happens with venoms more often it seems than other companies. But, when you do decide to go lipo, the venom lipos are quite good for the price.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    thanks for the answers guys. I really appreciate the time you took the answer my message.

I see that you can have a stick pack and a flat pack. What is the difference? What should I take for the pede VXL 4x4?

I think the higher the mah is, the longer running time I will have. Am I right? Does mah also affect speed?

Right now, I think I will go with a Duratrax 4600 or 5000 or Traxxas 4200....all in 7 cell....

Is 5000 mah the limit you can use with the Pede? Anything in the NIMH I should avoid?

Grand National : Its sure I will go lipo but since its my first rc car, I want to play safe for the first few weeks. I want to know my car better before going with lipo...
    Last edited by devilix; 05-09-2011 at 06:07 PM.

RC Racer
    Yes the higher the MAH, the longer the run time.

I have a Venom 5000mah humpback 7cell and I like it. It is now my only NIMH, but the run time is excellent and the power ain't too shabby either. If it's your 1st R/C, I agree with u, just get 2 NIMH's and then work your way up to LIPO in a month or so. You should get a 5000mah and a 4000/4200 mah NIMH to start with.

GL

RC Qualifier
    the stampede comes with a 7 cell 3000 battery and a 8 hour charger. you can chop off the plug the charger comes with and solder it on your charger

duratrax piranha batterys where great back in the day but i got a duratrax onyx battery last year and it isnt that good

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    A "stick" pack means all the cells are laying flat on their sides. A "hump" pack means 6 of the cells layflat and one is positioned on the top... in the middle. The stampede uses "hump" style 7 cell packs.

The most MAH you can get from a NIMH is 5000... It doesnt REALLY effect speed or performance (it does a tiny bit but not in a big enough way to worry about). Whats more important is the quality of the cells. Pro-Match (arguably the best NIMH packs in the business) ONLY sells 4600 batteries because they say the 4600mah cells are better than the 5000mah cells. My buddies experience with his Duratrax 4600 and 5000mah packs is the same. The 4600 is a better pack all around. More power and more run time even though it has 400mah less.

My suggestion is to look for a Duratrax 4600mah pack and get 2. Then, get a good charger that can do lipos in the future. That way, youll have a good charger that can properly care for your nimh packs now and... when you decide to try lipo you dont have to spend more money.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    What are the common problem with the pede? Can i play with it for 1-2 hours in one day? Any overheating?

RC poster
    I'm just about to order my pede 4x4 also. I'm considering getting an extra battery too. I'm considering lipo. I'll use the battery that comes with it to learn it, but then i'll probably step up to the lipo. Can I get a charger that will do the battery that it comes with as well as a lipo? Any suggestions? Thanks!