RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

New Charger Setup... we'll see how it goes.

I decided to go for a bit more powerful charge setup. My Dynamite is an excellent unit and I like it but its limited to 8amps... With the 2S packs I have from SPC and their new 3S packs on the way I could USE more than 10 amps... so I needed to find something with not only more amps available but also the wattage to back it up. There simply isnt a charger on the market right now that has a built in power supply that can supply more than 100watts... and thats not enough.

So, heres what ive purchased:

Protek Super Pro 20, 20amp, 260 watt PSU

Protek Prodigy 610 Duo Charger

The charger has dual charge outputs and is capable of supplying 200watts EACH if the PSU can supply it. In this case, the 260watt PSU I bought would be capable of 130 per pack. Which is enough to charge TWO 5000mah 3S packs at 2C at the same time. It will also charge my 6000mah 2S packs at 2C all day long and not break a sweat. And since the charge ports are independent I can charge one 2S and one 3S at the same time at different amp settings.

This was something I learned as I was researching charge setups and its something few people talk about. Wattage is actually MORE important than AMPS when your buying a charger. This is not some NEW piece of info out there but its new to me and really highlights why a low end charger may not be the right choice.

Lets say you have a 5000mah 3S pack... to charge that pack at 1C (which is safe for any lipo and will result in approximately 1 hour charge times) you need 63 watts of power. Most low end chargers are only 50 watts... which means youd have to step down the charge rate to only 4 amps and therefore increase your charge time.

My Dynamite Passport Ultra is a 8amp 100watt charger. It can easily do my 2S packs at a full 8 amps and a 3S pack at 8 amps... that would almost exactly 100 watts. But, if you look at the specs of MANY 8 amp chagers they only supply 80 or 90 watts... not enough to charge a 3S pack at their claimed 8 amp rate.

I just thought this was interesting info. We always talk about how many cheaper chargers are 5 amp capable and are "good enough" but question is... are they REALLY?

Sorry to ramble... just spouting info Ive been learning the past few days.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

It does look like a nice setup, I would like a dual charger, but...
    It will also charge my 6000mah 2S packs at 2C all day long and not break a sweat.
    Not quite, but close.
    You should have kicked it up to one with a higher amp rate. Going from an 8amp to 10 amp isn't going to net you much, and since your power supply is the limiting factor, you could have just got another charger to go with the one you had. Something like this is what I'll probably get next. http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...66&item_id=485 400 watts, 20amps, that'll dump some power really quick.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

Sorry, meant to write that it can charge my 2S 6000 packs at ALMOST 2C all day long. Forgot a word. The problem isnt the charger. The Duo CAN output 200 watts per channel. Its the cost of the PSU at the moment. I just cant afford a larger PSU. But, the good thing is that if I need more wattage down the road, I can just upgrade the PSU. I think these 2 setups thought are paired perfectly together. My Dynamite Passort Ultra would only charge at 8 amps... so im gaining 2 amps, thats a %20 increase and, im getting it X2...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

http://www.feathermerchantrc.com/ Yeah, one of these will be my next PS, or I'll just mod one myself, it's very easy using a computer ps. 500 watt PS for 50 shipped, is a pretty good deal, though.

BTW http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...68&item_id=215
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

Its too bad so many places WONT ship to canada... but that is the deal i guess... I have to stick to places that will... and not all of the smaller companies (in fact, most of the smaller ones) wont.
    Oh well.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Very nice!!

That explains why my Thunder AC6 keeps getting the Breakdown error when charging my 3s 5000mAh lipo. I have it at 4.4amps right now successfully. Probably going to burn my charger up...
    Rustler CC3800 || Stampede VXL

RC Champion
    I've got a charger that has a built in power supply, but, will accept an external power supply too. Question is: If I get a super duper power supply, should my current charger handle it? My current rig is: Vision Peak Ultra.

Thanks for any help

I think theres alot of people out there with, in particular, the thunder AC6... and ever more people recommending them without understanding the wattage VS amps. Before I understood this equation I was also looking at an AC6 as a back up charger. But now I wouldnt bother. Ill spend a bit more and get a backup charger that outputs a minimum of 80 watts...

From what I understand, some chargers are capable of higher charge rates from a DC power supply than they are from the built in AC supply. If you check at the specs of your charger you may find that simply plugging it into an external power supply will increase its capabilities. If not the actual charge rate (amps) it could increase the output wattage, which again, is equally as important.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Oh ya pave, my onyx, set at 5amp would only put about 4.3-4.6 out. So my promatch batts took over an hour. But, if I use my 1:1 car to re-up my battery at the park, it would do the full 5amp. The spec sheet does say it in this case.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Its too bad so many places WONT ship to canada... but that is the deal i guess... I have to stick to places that will... and not all of the smaller companies (in fact, most of the smaller ones) wont.
    Oh well.
    My buddy has the same prob. So he usually has me buy things that he wants, Then I ship a box to him and it has worked out well. Let me know if you ever need any help shipping up there. Most of the time all it is an extra 10 min and a few extra papers to deal with I also ship to a buddy in England. It is WAY expensive over there for him..
    Wouldn't you like to know...

Thanks chopper... I may just take you up on that sometime.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ