Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

1/16 brushed threads? Titan 550 conversion

I dont see any topics on the brushed versions??? I have a 1/16 slash that I modified abit. I installed the motor plate off a brushed summit so I could fit the titan 550, added the revo arms, and the summit suspension. It seems to be almost as fast as the brushless! 28t pinion w/ 45t spur. The motor never gets hot and the run time is doubled! Its a bit heavy with the dual batteries and the 550. I upgraded to the 8.4 volt packs and about to get the tires off the 1/10 slash and also purple springs with 80wt oil. If anyone else has messed around with the titan 550, holla back! To do the conversion you need the big block motor mount, the smaller reveiver box, the gear cover, and the titan 550. All can be found on the brushed summit or boss mustang or fiesta. Much cheaper than brushless! Plus extended run time without overheating!

There are a few topics about this already, but thanks for sharing and welcome to this great place!
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What speed are you getting with that set up?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    What speed are you getting with that set up?
    He says that it seems to be just as fast as the brushless, so he must have had the brushless version before and then changed it to brushed. He must be able to be getting speeds around 25-30 mph.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Champion
    I dont have any way to know for sure, but prolly about 30mph or more. Alot of torque. When I change to the bigger tires, Im hoping I wont damage the shafts. I think it just enough to have good power without breakin the stock set-up. Long runs plus no heat. A cheap hop up from the 380 brushed. I also wonder about steering with the bigger tires??? I should get the tires this weekend. Might to able to push 35-40 with them. I repost when I get them on.
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Champion
    For steering, use dual servos or get one powerful one to use if you have larger tires on your 1/16 model.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by E-RevoVXL View Post
    He says that it seems to be just as fast as the brushless, so he must have had the brushless version before and then changed it to brushed. He must be able to be getting speeds around 25-30 mph.
    25-30mph is not even close to the speed that a brushless system can produce. I did 50mph with the stock brushless setup with a 3s lipo. I don't think the brushed system can go faster than 25mph.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 05-06-2011 at 05:09 PM.

RC Champion
    25-30mph is not even close to the speed that a brushless system can produce. I did 50mph with the stock brushless setup with a 3s lipo. I don't think the brushed system can go faster than 25mph.
    I stand corrected; you're right. {{Major Fail}}

RC Champion
    With the bigger tires it actually went slower, even with gearing it way low. Steering was fine. Im going to stick with the revo tires. With the slash tires it went about 28mph. I figured a brushless set-up with 1 stock nimh series 1 battery wouldnt be much faster than 30mph? The 550 makes it so much heavier! The stiffest springs arent enough (purple). Im ordering the stiff ones from toyz. Whats the heaviest wt shock oil one should use? Im using 80wt and it seems ok, but this truck is heavy.
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Champion

2400/2200/4000kv

RC Racer
    it looks silly with those big tires :P

RC Champion
    Agreed, ridiculous. Isn't that turning your car into a merv which rolls over more than the stock one(extra ride height, big tires)?

RC Champion
    It has the merv arms so it doesnt roll over much unless the springs are tightened up. Bunch of haters on these forums. What I like about this hobby is experimenting with different set-ups. You change things depending on what you want to do with it. Its a 1/16 geared low with a titan 550 that never gets hot running in heavy terrain. I also have a stampede vxl 4x4 and the biggest haters seem to be the ones bashing brushed motors because they have a brushless set-up. Everyone thinks they know it all.
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Qualifier
    are you using the stock XL2.5 or an XL5?ESC?
    SlashVXL-ERBE-Slash4x4PE-RustlerVXL-1/16SlashSW2

RC Champion
    Its stock, 2.5
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I think it looks sweet!
    Keep up the good work!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    It looks pretty cool! I love experimenting with new things too.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    keep in mind that the brushed speeds are based on 2s power not the 3s brushless power so not really a fair coparison
    the OP did not say he was getting 50mph on 3s either
    also some brushed motors in a mini like this could actually produce some sick speeds on 2s that could be some what close to the 3s speeds you are getting
    Last edited by filmmaker; 05-24-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Champion
    It would be nice if the 2.5 esc could handle lipos. This thing would scream! The bigger motor eats up the power on a nimh.
    2400/2200/4000kv

The 2.5 can handle lipo...

Up to 2s.
    You just need a lipo alarm or monitor for low voltage notification.

RC Champion
    I order the 2s lipo and a alarm for low voltage for the brushed titan 550 on the 1/16. Im curious to see the speeds and temps I get. Thanks Jimmie Neutron, I didnt realize it could handle lipos. That will definatley help the run times! Once you go lipo, its hard to go back to nihm! I'll post the results for those interested.
    2400/2200/4000kv

RC Racer
    i will doing a similar tire setup with my merv
    i have some proline trencher sc's from when i had my slash
    i plan on getting some street fighters on the rims for street/skate park action lol
    the rims are the split six beadlocks btw
    Summit crawling MT
    Twin 2pedes for the kids

RC Champion
    The 2s lipo fried the esc on the second pack. Got a reason to go brushless now. Kinda mad that the guys at traxxas said it could handle it though.
    2400/2200/4000kv

Under warranty?
    If so, send it in. Get a new one. Sell it on ebay.
    In the meantime, upgrade.

I am dissapointed that the ESC did not hold up against the LiPo... it should have according to its specs.
    I am going to be running LiPo on my 2.5 that is in the wife's Boss 302... I guess we will find out if what happened to you is common or not.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 06-27-2011 at 11:44 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    does anyone know about the velineon 3500 in a mini summit? its brushless, which is good, and i got the stock VXL-3m or whatever ESC, so i was wondering if i could use the big block setup and put the 3500 on it? also can i use the stock ESC? or just get one that will handle at least 3s lipo, right now i use all stock except its got a 50t pinion (stock, had 45 wore out, cheap one) and i moved up from a 16t spur to a 19t, trying more for top speed, and a 3 cell 1550 mah, & 2 2 cell 2200mah back ups, which is fast on my setup, it breaks an axle now and then but that happens, using merv axles too, last longer than stock summit. but need to see if the 3500 will work where the 550 titan will. thanks in advanced josh

RC Qualifier
    I put the big block kit on, burnt up a xl-2.5 esc, got a xl-10 esc, tried a Titan 550 and a bunch of my vintage race motors and that's when I was only able to approach the speed of the vxl. I built a crawler setup with all that big brushed stuff, good run times exellent throttle control very smooth! All in all I didn't see much difference between the brushed 380 and the brushed 550. But now that you have the big block mount you can skip the brushless 380 and go strait to a brushless 550! If you wanna do it on the cheap I suggest a ezrun 60a esc and a taccon motor. I ran this for awhile, no heat issues at all, crazy fast. After using a MMP or nue setup I don't see much performance gain over the money spent compared to the $20 tacon motor and a cheap (at least 60a) esc.

RC Competitor
    I am running the xe-run 60a and a tacon 4420kv, works pretty well so far.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by horsepants View Post
    does anyone know about the velineon 3500 in a mini summit VXL brushess? or i may go with the castle creations new setup, i think its a 3800kV with the new sidewinder 2 V, heard its fast. i got the stock VXL-3m or whatever ESC, so i was wondering if i could use the big block setup and put the 3500 on it? also can i use the stock ESC? or just get one that will handle at least 3s lipo, right now i use all stock except its got a 50t spur (stock, had 45 wore out, cheap one) and i moved up from a 16t pinion to a 19t, trying more for top speed, and a 3 cell 1550 mah, & 2 2 cell 2200mah back ups, which is fast on my setup, it breaks an axle now and then but that happens, using merv axles too, last longer than stock summit. but need to see if the 3500 will work where the 550 titan will. and if anyone has upse the castle creastions with a side winder setup, can i put a sidewinder ESC on the 1/16 summit VXL with the stock 380 brushless thanks in advanced josh
    i got a new 45t pinion, its really fast with the 19t spur, got a 21t on the way

RC Competitor
    Do you mean 45t spur and 19t and 21t pinion?

RC Racer
    I actually stuck my Trenchers form my Stampede on my MERV for fun the other day and it drove ok but got hot really fast. Just too much tire to try to turn. I'm running stock 380 with Castle SCT ESC.

RC Enthusiast
    My best speed runs were on small foam tires with the e-revo

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If you wanted to stick with the brushed setup you could also install an XL5 with Low Voltage Detection and continue to run the titan motor. YOu can get a XL5 with LVD for about $35 shipped. It should fit fairly well in place of the 2.5...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    So witch is better the xl5 or the xl10. I got an xl10 thinking it was better and was surprised to find when I opened the box it was blue not yellow and says new waterproof revision but don't think it has lvd, that would be nice

RC poster
    Im thinking about putting a novak hv pro 5.5t system in a 1/16 scale e revo. Im also thinking about a 1:1 gear ratio. What do ya'll think?

RC Champion
    The truck looks pretty neat with that body and those wheels. I had the 7105 mini until the instant my lipo touched it, it blew up the xl 2.5. I then ran the VXL3S with the Velineon 3500, and it was awesome - except the lousy power button getting stuck all and I mean ALL the time.

RC Champion
    Sooooo did this guy take a brushless and put a brushed motor in it? Im kinda of confused.

RC Champion
    Sooooo did this guy take a brushless and put a brushed motor in it? Im kinda of confused. Or did the old minis have smaller brushed motors in them?

RC Champion
    lol man, that thing looks killlaaaaahhh!!

beasty
    6.25% /

RC poster
    I'm a couple of years behind but i still find this thread u started very relevant as i've just bought a brushed mini slash and it comes with the titan 550 already. The esc that comes with the car has low voltage detection for use with lipo's and i'm wondering if i'll be alright running them parallel together with the very interesting spur/pinion gear combination you mentioned? Will two parallel 2s lipo's be faster than two 8.4 nimh bat packs?
    Its a long shot but i hope i get an answer. Thanks mate

Two 2S in parallel is OK.

Voltage = speed.
    Two stock NiMh packs fully charged and ran in parallel are right around 9 volts. Two fully charged 2S LiPo packs are 8.4 volts. So, on paper the NiMh are faster... but in the real world the LiPo holds a more consistent voltage throughout the run and is able to deliver more amperage. More amperage equates to more punch.