RC poster

Question Burning smell....!

Burning Smell
    Well after not using my Stampede for almost 3yrs I decided to dust it off and power it up. I ran it for about 3 mins and realized I trashed a plastic gear in the tranny. Plastic and petroleum don't really mix. Anyway, I replaced the 3696 Idler gear, steel (30-tooth), 2381X Main diff with steel ring gear/ side cover plate/ screws & the gear on the motor (2423 Gear, 23-T pinion (48-pitch) / set screw) and put it all together and ran it for about 8 mins. or so then brought it to a rest in front of myself only to smell a strong electrical burn or overheat smell. Well needless to say, all that works now is the steering. Any ideas??? Could I have just burned out the motor??? THe wheels spin pretty free but not with the remote.

Thanks,

J.R.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Could have been the motor, but id test the esc with a meter or another motor if u have one. Sounds like something in ur tranny is binding and causing u to overheat very quickly. To get a better idea of ur issue, youll have to give some specs of your truck. Motor, esc, battery, which version of pede, wheels and tires, all can play a factor in the untimely demise of parts. Was ur esc really hot? Imo The esc frying would give off more of a burning electrical smell than the motor. But since ur steering still works it could very well just be the motor. After sitting so long stationary, sometimes old grease n oil in the motor bushing or bearing can become like glue.
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 05-04-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC poster
    The ESC wasn't hot at all. Specs are Model 3605, XL5 Esc, Titan 12T 550 Motor, Custom 8 cell 9.6v NiMH.

What spur gear are you running? 23 tooth pinion seems pretty high. I used to run my xl5 and titat 12t with 16/90 gearing which came stock and even with that gearing i ate up a lot of the titan motors. The optional gearing for high speed straight line runs only was 19/83. Are you making a lot of stops and starts or just straight runs up and down the street?

RC poster
    Well I had a 19 tooth pinion on it and changed to a 23 tooth on because the manual said I could. Mistake I guess. Running straight shots up and down the street. BTW, I have some engine spray but have never used it since I was unsure how to.

If i were you id stick to the 19t pinion for that motor, or even better go down a couple teeth on the pinion to 16 0r 17 and pair it with the spur they gave you which i gather is a 86 tooth spur. More than likely you have overheated and cooked the motor, but i would test ur esc with a voltage meter to make sure it is ok before you replace ur motor. The motor spray is for after ur donr ur run. You just let the motor cool down then spray inside of the motor real good to clean out all dust and debris, then just let it dry for couple mins before running again. Also you will need lightweight electric motor oil to oil the bushings on the motor every couple of runs. If you do a search on this forum for the titan 12t motor you will see that it has a short lifespan and youl also get to read about a lot of better alternatives to ur current setup.

The fact that your pede was stopped so long, kinda helps us answer the question. Sitting for so long, all the things that were greased, have dried up and all. The wheel bushings on both the front and back just to my mind. The fact that bushings cause alot of resistance in comparision to bearings, it sitting for so caused your truck to have alot of resistance. Move your wheels freely, and see how easy they are to move. also, I noticed that when id put on a RPM gear cover with a "90" tooth spur, and turned it would grind with those two things. Also, since ya replaced your gears with steel. Did you put on bearings inside your tranny? Did u already have em? did u have bushings? if so, check how easy those flow. Also, you put in a diff. What grease did u use inside the diff and did ya pack it all good and make sure it was free flowing. Also when ya put stuff back together, did u refer to the diagram to make sure that like you have all the washers in the right place and things. Also, did u check the suspension to see if you had any resistance under flex situations? Say your wheel was flexd alittle, and when it did it bent the drive shaft just right to cuz it to add alot of resistance, or a lock up?

Threw out some ideas, if youve gone through and checked throughout and seen nosigns of resistance what so ever, than it just so happened your motor burned out right then and there. Akward that it would work after sitting for few years, than 8 minutes into burn out, but for sure not impossible. Especially if your motor was sitting in a higher moisture enviroment such as an outside garage. If it was and it got indirect contact with weathering than that increase the chances its just the motor even more.

Heres what I would do, Trucks been sittin for a while and like a real vehicle thats never a plus for mechanical things with moving parts. I would replace your titan motor. If you dont care for more speed, you can replace with with a Electrifly S-600 motor which only costs 16 dollars. Get a new battery if ya dont have one cuz no battery responds well to sitting for long periods of time. or... If you have been looking into going brushless, now would be a great time, and it wont be very expensive to do so at all. For example, a castle sidewinder esc-motor combo is 90 bucks and is an excellent system. You already have all the metal gears from what it sounds like, just make sure you also have a slipper clutch, and bearings both on the inside of the tranny, and by the wheels..

If you dont have a slipper clutch, and bearings on the inside of the tranny.. U can buy a magnum tranny on ebay for 35 dollars which would include a slipper clutch, anouther spur, and internal bearings, and steel gearings. All put together with the gear box. From the the ebay chop shops. That way you would have extra parts for what you would be spending anyways as a slipper clutch alone is 22, and bearings are 15. If you got that covered than your good.

In the mean time, its like restarting a car thats been sitting. Things need to be regreased and "warmed up" if u will. I would take your vehicle apart at the point of the wheels, and your tranny, and put things all back together so that nothing is missed, and you have the peace of mind the problem that "may have" caused your motor burn out. Especially re-greasing things, and putting the bearings inside tranny, and wheel is definatly key. those bushings will be way weathered with the drive shafts.

But.. Im wiling to bet, it could just be your flat out motor. Especially since there is a burning smell. And.... If there was burning and it wasnt the motor, than it would have to be plastic burning up somewhere, and you would see evidence of that around your spur gear, or inside your tranny very easily.

Here is the reason, why it could just be flat out your titan... even lately, and seems especially so, we get people on here with the titan and a faliure. More people wait for the 2nd time, than they replace it. The titan motors are way touchy, and they seem to be in thier own league of going out all the time. They are not nearly as solid as other traxxas electronics. Thats why its really not such a miracle thats it was just your motor plain and simple. Its also possible that it may have needed a "break in" after sitting for so long. Most likely if you checked, and double checked your whole drive line components, ensured that there was no resistance what so ever, your titan motor just gave out right there because it sat for so long, and the first time, reaching a certain temp, than bam... it went out. As a matter of fact, The fact that it went out the "first" drive instead of say the 2nd. Points to it being just the motor alot more. If it was the 2nd or 3rd drive persay, than it'd would be like, oh something eventually wore on it. But first time, its like it was its last leg already, it hit a temperature on the FIRST drive and bam... it was gone. Those are my thoughts
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 05-04-2011 at 10:18 PM.