RC Qualifier

hello guys. advice needed please

hello all. Im thinking of getting my first RC truck and need some advice. My budget is some what limited so iv picked out a couple of trucks that i could afford. #1 is the 1/10th brushed e-revo. how ever iv heard that the titan 550 motors burn out really fast. i cant afford to be replaceing motors often. So if this is true is there a fairly cheap replacment for them that is reliable and durable. I cant afford to go brushless or to buy the mamba e-revo.

My other choice is the 1/16th brushless Erevo VXL. how is the relabilty of that truck and its motors.

I currently am not employed the mony i make is from small odd jobs so here and there so i just cant keep replacing things often. i need something that will give me trouble free service for a while. i dont plan to be overly rough with what ever RC truck i get. no slaming it in to things or big jumps ect. But i do want to be able to run it a WOT with out constantly burning up something. i will be useing the truck in my back yard as i plan to make a track ect.

Thanks in advance.

RC Champion
    IMO if expenses must be kept to a minimum and you will build a track in your own back yard, I would go for the 1/16 brushless. I own both the 1/10 in a brushless and former brushed upgraded version and a 1/16

The 1/16 has not cost me anything really... the other trucks.. dont want to think about what they have cost me :-)

The 1/16 is a very durable brushless construction and very difficult to break. It has not been destroyed yet by me or my son and we have not been gentle with it... for almost to years of bashing I will estimate it has cost about 70 $ in spare parts
    Slightly Addicted

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Couldn't agree more.

The smaller trucks are plenty fast and the parts are much cheaper- you wont have the same offroading ability ofcourse but for short grass, hard dirt or street, you cant really go wrong from what I've seen.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    Thank you guys. i very much appreciate the advice. i will go with the 1/16th revo then. i just liked the big ones as from vids iv seen they looked more fun do to there extra weight, seemed you could slide them around a lot more and they looked to be less ...twitchy. But yea i just cant swing replaceing motors all the time and i cant afford a brushless 1/10th this year.If i did come in to some extra mony some time soon, how reliable are the brushless 1/10ths that have the momba motors? I mean ii can afford the occasional part breaking now and then, just not burning out a pair of motors every few weeks ect

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard View Post
    Thank you guys. i very much appreciate the advice. i will go with the 1/16th revo then. i just liked the big ones as from vids iv seen they looked more fun do to there extra weight, seemed you could slide them around a lot more and they looked to be less ...twitchy. But yea i just cant swing replaceing motors all the time and i cant afford a brushless 1/10th this year.If i did come in to some extra mony some time soon, how reliable are the brushless 1/10ths that have the momba motors? I mean I can afford the occasional part breaking now and then, just not burning out a pair of motors every few weeks ect
    If I had to pick a word, it would be either "very" or "extremely." If you treat them with just a bit of common sense, it's rare that they'll bite you. You simply need batteries good enough to feed them. The parts that are much cheaper for the 1:16 trucks are batteries, motor/esc systems, servos, bodies, tires. However, I find if you look around, you can very often get the other stock parts for the 1:10 trucks cheaper than those for the 1:16s. Driveshafts, shocks, bulkheads, etc. can be dirt cheap on the 1:10s.
    If you like the MERV, maybe check out the Mini Summit too. Not so great for track work, but a bit more capable for offroading due to the long-travel rockers, different springs, and (especially) the bigger tires.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    WildCard, you should also look into the 1/16 Summit VXL. It's based on the 1/16 Revo (MERV). Same frame, motor, electronics. Main difference is body, suspension, tires, and lower gearing. However, the offroad capabilities is much improved over the MERV. Check out the Summit VXL forum here for more input.

There's an echo echo echo in here!
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    you guys are nuts! i have the big and mini e-revo, and the mini has cost me $100's more than the big one! the mini goes so much faster you will crash it more and break more stuff. i have hardly broken anything on my big one, the stock parts are great.

RC Qualifier
    i looked at the sumit and its def a fine looking RC but it also *looks* like it would be much easier to tip over and thus harder to slide around corners on a track and what not.

RC poster
    Get the 1/10 brushed E-Revo, and use the stock motors till they burn out. Then instead of buying new Titans, get the Twin Kershaw Designs 700 HO motors. U can order it from kershawdesigns.com, they last way longer, are more powerful, and are waterproof up to 20 ft. under water. The whole kit is everything you'll need to install the motors, other then tools, and the kit with everything included is only $100. They work with the included EVX-2 Speed control. I highly recommend these motors, i have them on my 1/10 E-revo Brushed, and they freaking wreck.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The Summit certainly isnt a track vehicle- it's a crawler, trail-truck and light duty basher, no racer.

How often & how badly you break things depends how poor your driving is & how unrealistic your chances are of surviving a particular stunt etc...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    yea thats what i was thinking army. I think im going to be more about driveing what ever i get on more even dirt/clay area's. Im not to in to rock,jumping or crawling/muding.

And yea i hear you on breaking things. im pretty carefull with the things i pay lots of cash for lol. i wont be doing any thing extreem with what i get. I just dont want something thats going to burn its self out just from driveing it around a track. Which is what i hear the titan 550's tend to do.

Wupdriver, That set up is nice but combined with the price of the Erevo is to much for me right now another 80 or so dollors and i might as well get the erevo brushless right? or would a brushed revo with that set up be better than the mamba brushless revo? But thank you for clueing me in to that set up. Its an option.

RC Racer
    if you go for the MMM..youd need to get lipos capable of running them efficiently also...
    i ran the stock nimhs on my MMM emaxx and ended up buying lipos after two days..i didnt want to damage my esc by running nimhs....

which would cost you about 70 dollars more depending on where you get them... i have the summit vxl also and its lots of fun too! parts are cheap..ive probably only spent about 70 dollars for replacement parts on them including another pair of batts for when i run it in series, and i bash that one way harder than my emaxx (backflips, jumping into the wall at full speed etc)...i actually think its more durable!
    only thing is 2 weeks after i got the summit, i had the urge of wanting to drive something bigger than can tear through terrain rather than skipping over it..so i got the maxx right after xS
    Last edited by AKbash57; 05-05-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    Emaxx 3903 (MMM)
    Summit VXL
    Savage Flux 2350

RC Qualifier
    Ok guys i just found something else id like to bring to your attention. Its a 1/10th scale Rustler VXL brushless. according to towerhobbies its right at the same price as a 1/16th Erevo VXL. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXZDA9**&P=0

Wich of the two would you guys recommend? I know even less about this rustler than i do the other car. Whats the reliablity/ruggedness like and is the after market for the rustler large? Is it even worth considering vs the Merv vxl?

RC Racer
    I'd rather get the merchant! Its 4x4!
    Emaxx 3903 (MMM)
    Summit VXL
    Savage Flux 2350

RC Racer
    Oops I meant merv ...autocorrect!
    Emaxx 3903 (MMM)
    Summit VXL
    Savage Flux 2350

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AKbash57 View Post
    I'd rather get the merchant! Its 4x4!
    4x4 makes a big def? I did notice on some vids i found that the rustler seemed to hand a lot def.Of course most of the vids, it looked like the thing had so much power the driver could bar,ley keep it going in a line lol.

RC Racer
    well i have the summit which is almost the same thing and youd be surprised how capable it is offroad...it may be small but its pretty capable..
    offroad id say that the 4x4 makes a big diff...the rustler may be bigger but i dont think you have that much ground clearance and the fact that your wheelbase is longer and that its rwd...you might get a lot of high centering and get stuck because of that.
    the merv not only has a shorter wheelbase but its also 4wd..even if you do get high centered, you can get out

just my 2 cents
    Emaxx 3903 (MMM)
    Summit VXL
    Savage Flux 2350

RC Racer
    Definitely go 4x4 if you can. It makes a big difference, especially for off-road driving.