RC Enthusiast

Steering Reassembly problems

I recently took apart my tmaxx to fix a bulkhead and lower a-arm that had broke in a crash. So i took apart the pieces that were required to change the bulkhead and taking the skidplate off was one of the things needed to take the bulkhead off. After installing the new bulkhead the steering linkage on the bottom came apart and I can't seem to find the correct way of putting it back together. I've tried several different ways to reassemble the linkage and non of them are apparently the correct way. I've done some research on google trying to find someone with the same problem or an image of the correct way to put it together. I used the diagram of the tmaxx chassis and put it together to the best of my knowledge of how it says to. But apparently it doesn't work the way it says because the tie-rod hits the diff case or if i put it the other way it hits the skidplate and won't turn at all.

I was wondering if you could tell me how to properly assemble it so i can get this working again. Maybe you could post a picture of how yours is assembled with the skidplate off.

Thanks
    MM4

which piece are you in question of? i just replaced some snapped bulkheads myself. i guess i should ask what all did you take off first? did you mess with the plate the steering links go to or just take the ends themself off?

oh and which model do you have? cus the one i worked on was a 4910, but i just looked at mine which is a 4907 and the steering underneath the skid plate is completely diffrent apparently. so i can post pics if i know what it is. my 4910 pics are limited cus my roomate is gone with it so its what ever i have. but i can take my skid plate of my 4907 and take pics for you if that is your model

If its is 4908 I will post some pics for ya.
    "fat drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life"

well i think we can get a decent amount of models covered here lol, so what do you have?

RC Enthusiast
    Im not sure what model? It's the 2.5 one if that helps

a little. its not a 4907 then for sure cus that is the newer 3.3. can you put up some pics?

RC Enthusiast
    I didn't know what to take a picture of so i took a couple.

This is how I have the steering linkage now.

The top of it minus the motor.

The little knob on the diff the the tie-rod screw hits preventing it from turning.
    Last edited by MarineM4; 04-30-2011 at 11:14 PM.

hmmmmm thats def not the setup on my 4907, so i will look through my pics from when i was doing my roomates but ive never seen one with that nob on the diff. i dont know what that is for to be honest so morganko might have to help you out

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I'm not sure what it does either, it seems to spin and kinda free float . Maybe just a cover? The tmaxx is an older one got it in like 06.

best pic i have for you

nothing like that on mine either, sorry man.
    "fat drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life"

RC Enthusiast
    This is actually kinda helpful, thanks. This is the 2.5 though?

im thinking that knob thing is suposed to be the pin to hold the end of axle to the diff which in that case isnt in right. so i would look into that. it should just be a allen head and sit completely flush inside of the axle

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah i see what your saying, theres like a little cicrle indent on the bulkhead for that to go into

it looks like it may be a 4910 2.5 cus it has the same steering setup as my roomates and thats what his is.

and make sure you didnt put your diff in upside down. to check that just lift the front end and push the back tires across the floor both in the same direction. and make sure your front tires arnt spinning backwards

That little plastic pin does go into the indented hole in the bulk.

You can also look at the rear end of the truck, see which side the screw heads on the diff are, then make sure the front is the same. Looking at the rear diff from the rear, the screw heads are on the right side. Looking at the front diff from the front, the screw heads should be on the right side.
    Either you are the Predator or you are the prey

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks man, after some rigging and popping that diff piece into place my steering problem is fixed. But now that i got it together somewhat, my camber or toe angle is weird now, my front wheels are pointed inward front a up/down perspective.

not 100% sure on what your saying. can we get a straight front shot to see the camber, and a top view to see the toe?

RC Enthusiast
    oh if a front shot is the camber than thats what im having trouble with. It seems like it might be better with the car intact because when i lifted it up it went normal again. But now im having trouble with installing the lower A arm.

yeah, you just have to get it together before you can look into problems of bad tire angles. just get her back together first. then when sitting on all 4 look at it from the front and from the top. your going to want the tires both facing straight ahead from a top view. and from a front view you want them to be standing straight up and down or the tops tipped in just a little. with them tipped in is more for racing though. doing it will allow the tire to stand up straight in a hard corner so that you have the most tire contact for handling. but if your doing anything other than racing just have them standing straight up and down

RC Enthusiast
    ok. the one side where im putting the a arm is angled alot.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sorry for the quality, cellphone pic

its all good. by the looks of it (which its alot easier to tell with the wheel on) you need to tighted the lower pivot ball if possible. if not then you need to loosen the upper. i would put the tire on though so it can sit under its own weight to have the best idea

RC Enthusiast
    Its insanely crooked with the tire on, i can see the problem i just dont know how to fix it. The axle, where it slides on the other part is not on all the way and when i compress the suspension, it needs to be forced to turn.

crooked from the top view? if so what you have to do is unbolt the steering link at one end, make sure its threaded all the way in on both end then reconnect. from there just turn it till the top view has them running even. as for the force to turn you might want to unscrew the top pivot ball till the tire is standing straight up. if it already is then try screwing the bottom one out some then top to keep it even.

Lokks like your low pivot ball as not screwed in enough, stock is screwed all the in till they just bottom out***be carefull for when it does bottom out if you keep turning it it can strip the threads out of the A~arm***

Toe should be slightly toed in in the front so it looks like this from above / \,
    In the rear you want slightly toe out \ /.

Camber at -1 is set with the pivot balls screwed all the way into the A~arms.

Page 24 in the manual has pics and a lengthier explanation.
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...7_manual_0.pdf
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

there ya go, didnt think about saying it that way lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Lokks like your low pivot ball as not screwed in enough, stock is screwed all the in till they just bottom out***be carefull for when it does bottom out if you keep turning it it can strip the threads out of the A~arm***

Toe should be slightly toed in in the front so it looks like this from above / \,
    In the rear you want slightly toe out \ /.

Camber at -1 is set with the pivot balls screwed all the way into the A~arms.

Page 24 in the manual has pics and a lengthier explanation.
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...7_manual_0.pdf
    Sorry to hijack a thread, but I have a Q with regards to rear toe. You say the rear should have a little Toe-out....The True Track RPM arms come with a little un-adjustable toe in. ?
    " TRX3922a doesnt snap " IT SHATTERS !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys! with your advice im now out and rippin' it up!

I think he may have it backwards. I've always been told the fronts you want toed out \ / and the rears in / \ .
    The Super Derecho

Oooooops

Sorry guys, I managed to get it backwards, my lame excuse is it was 3am.

Toe out \ / in the front
    toe in / \ in the rear
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!