RC Racer

Angry And back to the shop I go...

So, jumping, racing, flipping my Grinder and no damage lately. Just finished a rebuild of all the "High Ware" components, checked the transmission, spur, axles, bearings, servo, motor. Cleaned and lubed everything. Gave the truck a shower.

On Saturday me and a friend were jumping the truck off a ramp about 4 or 5 feet tall, onto ashfault, I feel that that is the primary cause of what your about to see.

So on Sunday night I took it apart AGAIN and inspected everything. It all looked fine. So Monday morning I decided to take it out for a rip on the lawns before work. All is fine and dandy until this happend.

I was cruising it back at full tilt and caught the edge of a patio block. You know those stupid square things you use for a pathway. Well... I watched in and as it rolled into two pieces and did the funky chicken.

Well I know I hit the patio brick hard, But didn't know I hit it this hard.

Check out the screw in the bulkhead on the left.

Savageness!!!!

Well back the the LHS for more parts
    Last edited by Arsenios; 04-29-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Image code error
    Flying is easy, landing however....

RC Champion
    NICE one! LoL. look the bright side. When you break parts you get to replace them with new parts.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Racer
    Here's the worst part, The patio brick was only sticking up about an inch or so... Usually should have cleared it as I have MANY times before. But this time I guess was the "Straw that broke the camels back" so to speak.

RC Racer
    This is true Speed. But its gonna be another 60 bucks to fix it. I couldn't get a clear picture of the servo but the mounting points on both the front and back are snapped clean off. I could swear someone took a saw to them. I have never seen such a flat break in my life.

So time to upgrade to a ball bearing servo. Does it make any real difference?

RC Qualifier
    The specs of the servo are going to determine the performance more than the feature of having ball bearings, bearings help the servo operate smoother and last longer but the difference in performance is not significant unless the servo is truly a better quality servo and has more speed and/or torque. My friend have me his broken VXL steering servo for parts and I noticed it had bearings where the replacement he had bought had bushings, I'm pretty sure the 2056 has bushings where the other 2071 (?) has bearings. He broke the chassis almost exactly the same as you did, the screws he bent between the chassis and bulkhead he has also broken, I would replace them with black traxxas screws or something the hobby shop might suggest is stronger.
    I like turtles.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenios View Post
    Savageness!!!!

Well back the the LHS for more parts
    Dude!!! That is an awesome break!!! I would & at the same time. LRH The part of rebuilding is fun, but the pocketbook would be the killer. I'm sure when i finally get free'd up from work i'll be breaking some parts..wooohooo
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    This is a pretty common break actually... and if you look on the bright side... what ELSE may have broken if not the chassis... This is why I prefer to have a cheap $12 plastic chassis instead of an expensive $60 aluminum one.

The servo can be easily repaired with a new case... about $4 (All you need is the top but it comes with a complete case) and if your going to buy a new front chassis brace, why not upgrade to an RPM Slash version... it requires some new holes at the back but will stiffen up the front of your truck in a big way.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    This is a pretty common break actually...
    Yeah it is. When the chassis breaks, 95% of the time that's exactly where it snaps. Welcome to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by pavementsurfer
    This is why I prefer to have a cheap $12 plastic chassis instead of an expensive $60 aluminum one.
    To each his own, but I'd say this is why I have an expensive, aluminum chassis. While the chassis may bend, at least it doesn't break and I can continue driving the vehicle (as long as it's not TO bent) for a while. Break the stock chassis and your day is done--unless you have a spare ready to go of course. As I said, to each his own.
    99%er

RC Champion
    I would be afraid of bending $60 aluminum chassis. Unless it had a lifetime warranty.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Racer
    Thank you all for the insight.

The servo can be easily repaired with a new case... about $4 (All you need is the top but it comes with a complete case)
    Wish I wasn't at work when you posted that pave. I went and spent the 40 for a new servo. Tell ya what though. I'll be keeping the old broken one for parts if ever needed(Don't know how well the internal parts are going to do but I can still get another casing and if I break the new one can switch over now that I have the info).

It was an epic lesson in crashing and bashing. LOL.

I really wish I had it on video. I was so shocked to see the front wheels standing on end I couldn't help but keep the trigger pulled all the way down. The thing quite literally did the funky chicken(what ever that actually is)