RC poster

LiPo Charging over 11.1V

I am new to LiPo and I have a 3 cell. When I charge it on my balanced charger it will charge it up to 11.6 Volts when its labeled as 11.1 Volts. Is that normal? Is this going to hurt the life of the battery?

Thanks fellas

RC Qualifier
    lipo's in my exp. have a 4.2v per cell rating.. you are fine. But what kind of charger do you have and can you see the ending voltage per cell?
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    It should actually charge to 12.6 volts... a fully charged lipo cell should be 4.2 volts, so X3 is 12.6... I have NO idea why they label them 11.1 volts.

Your pack is likely holding less than half its capacity.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    If Cut-off where at 3.2, and max voltage was 4.2. A 3 cell LiPo would be 11.1v right in between then. That is probably where the 11.1v comes from.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Champion
    11.1 is the nominal voltage (3.7v times 3 cells = 11.1v) or "resting" voltage of the pack. NiMH cells are rated at 1.2v per cell.. thus your 6 cell pack is rated at 7.2v and the 7 cells are 8.4v etc... the charged state of a lithium polymer cell would be upto 4.2v per cell and on NIMH up to (depending on quality) as high as 1.4v to 1.45v. making a fully charged 2s lipo 8.4v and a fully charged QUALITY 6 cell pack capable of 8.4v to 8.7v at peak...

I went too far and gave more info than was asked for.. anyway.. NOMINAL voltages are what is the "standard" measure of a pack or cell, not fully charged...
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Good thing there are people who know what theyre talking about around here. hehe.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    you can say that again pavment lol.

Beetroot - I have a MRC superbrain charger with a tenergy 5000mah 25c lipo and yes, I can see the ending voltage per cell.

It didn't actually stop at 11.6... I stopped the charge to see if that was normal. I know that lipos need to be handled carefully and I figured it was best to check with the less ignorant haha.

I will continue to charge to 12.6V to get the full bang

Thanks guys