RC poster

parallel batteries

my son has a 1/16 brushed revo and we run two batteries in parallel for extended run time. can i charge the batteries with the parallel connector to charge them at same time?

RC Racer
    very good question sir
    revo 3.3 and a 300hp vw gti im so blessed lol

RC Champion
    Yes , if they are LI type

No , if they are NI type
    4s Pede, 6S Maxx, 3S Rusty, 6S slash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ^That.

Lipos can be charged in parallel, though series is prefered ideally, with a single or dual channel charger quite easily ( provided they are the same specs ).

Nimh batteries must be charged in series- any decent charger can cope with upto 14-18 cells, though charge times may take longer depending on the power rating of the charger & it;s power supply.

Little more info on those batts & what charger you have?
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC poster
    Charger is Electrifly Triton EQ. The 1/16 brushed Revo can't handle Lipos so am using Dynamite 7.2 Nimh 6 cell 1600 mah. I will get a series connector if it will work in my situation. Was using the parallel just for added run time. Again, the small Revo can't handle the extra voltage from a series connection. Gonna upgrade to a brushless or a larger car soon. Son is six and this is his first one. Any charging info will help. Thanx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ooh yes, the EQ is rated for 14 nimh cells & 5amps / 50watts so it'll charge both those 6cell packs in series no trouble at all; I would set the charge rate for ~1amp to be on the safe side ( seems to be the general setting for these little packs ), then both packs should be fully charged in about 60-90 minutes. Might be able to go higher on the charge rate, depends if there is a recommended charge current on the label or not..
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC poster
    Thank you very much for the info. Still figuring this stuff out. I'll get the series connector tomorrow. Thanx again

RC Champion
    To charge cells in series they must require the same amount of capacity. Hopefully you already know if when using them they do require the same amount when recharged separately (you've compared them upon recharge).
    4s Pede, 6S Maxx, 3S Rusty, 6S slash

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    To charge cells in series they must require the same amount of capacity. Hopefully you already know if when using them they do require the same amount when recharged separately (you've compared them upon recharge).
    This is VERY important. Do not charge two different capacity batteries (i.e. 1200 mAH + 1600 mAH) with a parallel connection. This may damage the batteries and cause other problems.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.