RC poster

Controlling LED light kit using 4 channel remote

I have a 4 channel (TQ4) TX and wanted to use it to control turning my light kit on and off. I found out that chan 3 and 4 are always hot though... i.e., when i hook up the lights to either of those channels, the switches have no effect (lights always on). I'd like to use the 2 position red rocker switch to control the lights. What do I need to do to make it on=hot, off=dead??

Thanks!

RC Champion
    you`ll need a switch connected to the receiver to work them, otherwise what your doing is using the permanent live feed and negative.so will always be on.
    you`ll have to use a switch to use the signal positive which works via tx
    switched using channel 4

this one was with an old 6v cycle lamp connected before i got the roof lights

Last edited by trax de max; 04-23-2011 at 10:44 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks Trax, but that's a little over my head... sorry. Do you have detailed step by step instructions? I was hoping there was a simple soldering mod on the transmitter that would solve the 'always on' issues.

RC Champion
    there is no mod really
    on the receiver there is three wires that go to a servo red wire is always on +6v, black wire ground, white wire i think it was, is signal wire +0.3v
    they connect to the switch on the three pins.
    the four pins is output, only need to use the live and ground.i don`t know why there is four
    the signal wire operates the switch on the board giving a 6v output.
    the switch is a pololu rc switch with digital outputhttp://www.technobotsonline.com/inde...oduct_id=32293 it looks difficult but isn`t
    Last edited by trax de max; 04-23-2011 at 02:51 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks Trax, I think I get it now. I just need to solder the switch in-line between the RX and the lights, right? Will it only work for ch4, or will it also work with ch3? I think ch4 is the 3way toggle and ch3 is the rocker.

I found the switch here: **http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/752 Not bad for $6 That is the right one, correct?

RC Champion
    yes thats the switch,when you get it i`ll help you wire it, as the instruction on how to do it, is actually that page.
    its a tiny board i fitted mine inside a waterproof receiverbox along with the 2218 receiver just incase i miss it this is it
    on the three pin side
    in = +6v from receiver red wire
    gnd =is ground black wire
    vrc =signal wire i think its white
    on the four pin side
    output to lights = Good or out there both the same
    gnd =ground to lights
    scroll down the page a see two solder pads for GND solder these together
    i have mine on channel 4 never tried it with any other channels was going to fit some bumper lights on channel 5 but installed a capacitor instead

Did you get some plugs to plug into the receiver and some wire
    Last edited by trax de max; 04-25-2011 at 10:42 AM.

RC poster
    Yea, I actually ordered a servo extension cable that I'm gonna cut. I'll use the 3 wires to connect the rx to the board, and then just use 2 wires to the lights. I think that's it, right?

RC Champion
    yep three wires to board two wires out. you`ll be amazed how small it actually is

RC poster
    Hi Trax, the specs say it is only meant for 20mA current which is one led. How many leds are you running with this switch? I was thinking of this one which is a little bigger but can handle up to 3A which is more than enough for leds:

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1210

Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    yep three wires to board two wires out. you`ll be amazed how small it actually is

RC Champion
    running 5 and its been ok still.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC poster

An pololu 1210 example

Here what i've done for controlling a led Kit on my mini E-Revo and further on my mini Summit.
    My radio was upgrade from 2 to 5 CH and the new third channel now controls the light.

I used a Pololu 1210. here how to connect it:
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/156...on2218v1b5.jpg

Here installed on my Merv :
    http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4778/merv1210.jpg

RC Champion
    cool whats the plans for the other channel. Nice idea inside the servo case, never thought about that mines inside the receiver box bit tight fit.

RC poster
    Hello,

I finally found someone that has the same little switch I bought. I bought 3 of them and can't get mine to work. It has the 3 holes on one side and 4 on the other. I have the pins soldered in place. I'm running the Spektrum DX3C with the SR300 receiver. I'm trying to use the Aux channel on the receiver and have that set on my transmitter to switch A as a 2 place switch. I haven't had any luck getting it to work. Do you have a picture you can send me of it hooked up? It says it's the Pololu RC Switch with digital output #752. Is that right? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -Dtoll2002

RC Champion
    I had to solder the two square pads on the rear of the switch together to link them. But that was on the traxxas radio. But on the spektrum I think you can control it directly from receiver using the Tx switch without the use of the pololu switch

RC poster
    I've tried everything to control it with the spektrum. Pluging it into the receiver in the AUX channel all it does is light up. That's why I bought the Pololu switch but, I can't seem to get that to work either. You said solder the to ground pads to each other? Maybe I'll try that.

RC Champion
    yea, I thought I had a pic of it, you can see the two squares what i mean correct.

RC poster
    I got the same reaction. It did make the light come on when plugged into the first 2 pins (ground and VCC). But, the other 2 still don't work and controlling it with the remote still doesn't work. I have 3 switches, Going to try another one fearing I may have shorted this one out. I found this link http://forum2.pololu.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5728 . Let me know if that's right. Did you put a resistor in line with the positive in wire? Let me know. A picture would help if you can find one. Thanks. appreciate the help.
    -Dtoll2002

What about this receiver controlled switch?
    Part Number: LUM-ONF
    It handles up to 30v at 10a and costs about $7.

Comes all soldered up and ready to hook up to the power source and item you want to power. I am using one for LED's and another for a fan on my Summit.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    I actually got the Pololu switch to work following the link I listed above. I hooked up the 3 wire connector from the receiver to the 3 pin side then I had a 4 battery AA holder with the 2 prong female adapter on the end. That plugged into the ground and VCC. As soon as I plugged it in with the batteries in it a red LED on the PCB started flashing (that was a first) the I hooked a 2 wire connector with 'Out' to ground wire and positive to good. Hit the A button on my Spektrum and on she came! Sweeet!
    Thanks!!