RC poster

Special TX question for my son.

I have a unique need and wanted to run it by the traxxas forum. My son (7 years old) had a stroke and has very limited use of his left hand/arm. He loves RC, but gets very discouraged with Dad holding the Tx.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I could get him more independent with RC ? right hand/arm is 100%. Is there any options on radios that may incorporate a foot control for throttle servo or something I'm not aware of ????

Traxxas, any ideas ?

Thanks in advance !

RC Qualifier
    I have a friend with a spinal cord tumor and can only use1 hand and I got him driving. I got a controller and reciever from an RC airplane. The right stick on the airplane controller has up/down and left/right functions on the same stick (works like the joystick on an electric wheel chair) and when you let it go it returns to center. You can also hook a strap to the controller so it hangs from your neck making it very easy to "hold" and operate. The controller will have way more functions then you will need but the key is the right "joystick" controller. You will need to do some testing to figure out what outputs on the reciever coordinate with the right stick functions. I used my esc and a spare servo to find the outputs I needed. I also extended the joystick so it would be easier for my friend to hold onto. Once I got everything working I was amazed at how manuverable his truck was and the smile on my friends face was worth the time I had put in to the project!! I just wanted to get my buddy RCing with me again!! Here is a picture of the controller I set up

Good Luck with getting your son going and if you choose to go the same route I did I will help you get set-up in any way I can!!
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Qualifier
    i have seen a video on youtube where a guy rigged up his xbox 360 steering wheel and pedals to his custom built rc, i dont know how he did it, but thought i would let ya know, this is what the steering wheel and pedals looked like best of luck to your kiddo

RC poster
    Thank you both for the ideas. We do have the steering wheel / foot pedals for one of the game systems. I may look into that a little more. I appreciate your input. !!!!!!!

There is a guy who races at my track and only has 1 arm. He uses a futaba radio one-handed with a neck sling for the radio. The sling helps him hold the radio in place.Rc plane flyers use those slings so you might look into that.

He also kicks everyones butt.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    no problem buddy

RC Qualifier
    Good Luck!!
    No Limit RC of Maryland

RC Competitor
    I once saw a guy with a custom harness on. That harness had a metal arm that put the controller sideways, with the steering wheel farthest from him. He used his middle or ring finger for the throttle and his index and thumb on the steering. All on one arm.
    Last edited by MaxxxxaM; 07-30-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    T-Maxx 3.3 #4907
    NEA-RC Club