MUST READ! How to succesfully Post Pictures: Easy to follow, and w/pics

This thread is a HOW TO: on posting pics. Fiqured Id post it on here since I saw alot of pics unsuccessully posted on the gallery. Real nice Rallys so Far. Nice job guys.

I created this thread so it was user friendly and with pics. My goal? To make our gallerys look as sharp as possible, and solve that age old "direct link deboggle"

Lets get started: if you dont have much experience with Forums, you cannot post pics directly from your computer. Its with HTML code, and thinks must be linked. So for this you need a image hosting website to post. Most people have that part covered, however... There is one crucial and confusing step that causes it to be often unsuccessful, and frustrating to many.

Note: You need a image hosting site, and this will apply to all, but in my opinion its a good idea to just use Photobucket, and keep it all uniform. Especially since photobucket is easy to use, free, and most widely used because of these reasons.

We start our steps after you have created an account and are on your album page. Simple enough..

Step 2: From here you can easily copy and paste you link, and most people do... but.. you need to resize first, or you'l get the infamous resize message. Also, as shown in the last picture... There is a box where people copy the direct link from, and that is where 90% of the mistakes are made. The necessary link does not appear, until you click on the individual pic. shown here

You can click once, and it will copy for you, and that would be where my thread stops, but resizeing is necessary. There are two options to do so. Im laying em out because the first may be invisible unless you place your mouse in just the right place. (again, user friendly instructions).

This is the first and easiest resizing option. But for the options to pop up, you have to place you mouse, just at the top of the pic. The drop down menu will pop down, place your mouse over the "resize" option and, pre-designated sizes will pop down. Click and select 640 x 480. (Note: dont go any smaller, as it is good to see the details in eachothers truck, and promote a uniform picture gallery from all)

Option 2, takes a few more steps, but you can get more specific. If you find yourself here after clicking edit, you may not know what size to input. click resize, and type in 640 (that should stick from memory) and it will fill in the rest for you.

Next, Save it and click OPTION B in the pic . Just replace the original, because if you dont, you may find yourself posting the link on the gallery, than getting a message or error saying to keep it below 640, when you had already done so. Click REPLACE ORIGINAL (opt B.) to avoid that small but frustrating error. You also already have a copy saved on your Comp or where it was uploaded from.

Last but not least, Copying from the right place: In this pic, you will see the box where most people copy the link from, and the picture does not show up on the forum directly. Crazy cuz it even says direct link Highlight the picture, than scroll to the IMG code, and click on that link. (note: it copys with one click, you do not need to select copy and paste, nor will it let you do so) You will see it flash, "copied" for your confirmation.

Conclustion:

There have been Threads done on posting pics, but the "direct Link" problem still happens all the time,
    Directions are best when they are laid out simple, and easy for the brain to just scan. Its insulting no ones intelligence, but making easy to follow directions, makes it more error proof and easy.

It'll be good to be all uniform and looking nice and not have to click on a link. If you have a post in a Gallery, and it is done unsuccessfully. Post doing it the right way, because many times people skip pictures when they have to click on a seperate link. I know I have. Plus im sure this will help many, who have posted that way, and more information sure doesnt hurt.

-AbSoLooT

****** IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not delete, or resize your image on your image hosting site after posting, or it will delete or resize where ever that picture is linked to! if you want to use that pic in a differnt size elsewhere, upload anouther!! Deleting the pics from (photobucket or other I.H. sites) will cause a dead link!

RC Enthusiast
    I've never used photobucket, so the instructions are not making too much sense to me. But I think you probably describe it well.

The Traxxas forum, has an attach photo option that puts in the HTML code for you. You just paste the photo link in. I'm not sure what you mean by "direct link" error? I've never seen this.

I use Google Picasa. Also free. It has a "client" app that works on your PC to organize photos. It has automatic face recognition too. You can tag people, then it will scan all your pictures looking for that person and auto tag them. It provides virtual folders for people, places, and time.

The neat part is though, that you can pick any virtual or real folder in Picasa and sync to a Picasa web album. Then anytime you put a new photo on your PC and it is in a synched album, Picasa automatically loads it to the web.

You can set different privacy levels on your albums.

With Picasa I pull up the photo I want to share, right click with the mouse to get the context menu, and select "copy image link" then paste that into the forum post.

Am I doin something wrong?

Driving is not a leisure time activity.
    Driving is not a leisure time activity.

RC Qualifier
    The admins already have their own how to thread on posting pics so not sure if they will leave this here or not. And two things on the subject 1 it's really not that hard 2 just check your post before or right after posting to see if it worked so you're not leaving dead links
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

Cypress: Photo has the same privacy setting to. Thats good though, If you used photo bucket itd seem more clear. Most people do, and I didnt want to do like one seperate one for each photo hosting site so went with photo bucket. If you go to the first page of your guys gallery, Most the pics there are deleted, and posted unsuccessfully. Thats common with every one of the forums cuz alot of people dont know how to post pics via threads. But like the thread says, no matter which you use there pretty much the same. As long as you achieve your goal right? But thats good though

Socold: On alot of sites, like ultimateRC. they made my thread a sticky, and added it on. On all the sites I got this thread on, alot of peeps have used it and needed so. If you dont need it, no worries and good thing, but alot of peeps especially who dont have much thread experience, need to know. But I agree with you, its not hard to check, but it happens way to much. Also peeps dont know that u cant delete the pic on your image hosting site, or move it even to a sub-folder and it will disapear from the place its posted on. It sucks when the gallery is listed with bad pic posts. Looks alot better when its done right, like the second page is done alot better. First is most bad posts. Also, I dont know about u guys... But on here especially, when I click on the links to see pics (instead of displayed image) people have viruses on them. Really dumb, ive been tried to get hit over 10 times on traxxas gallerys alone so I dont click on those anymore. Even thumbnail pics where u click to expand. There wil be viruses attached to them. Real lame, so posting the pic directly in a good size to see details I think is a good idea and keeps the gallery looking nice, and virus attack free.

RC Competitor
    Yeah, I found this earlier when I was looking for one of your pics to repost in dreded's post...

This should be bumped weekly....

Is there not a way to repost this under the stampede thread?
    Last edited by floorguy78; 01-08-2012 at 09:18 PM.

It is/was in the pedes thread.