RC Enthusiast

Tekin rs pro esc with stock brushless motor...?

does any one know if this will work..?

like i know that the rs pro esc needs or "is" soldered to the redline motor.. i was thinking about upgrading my esc to the rs pro but dont know about the motor.. so i was thinking about gettin the combo with the 17.5 motor... has anyone done this or would know what to do in this case...? how much bigger is the motor than stock...?? i have hve a bigger chassis [(100$integy1)and i know integy is "crap" but couldnt find a solid chassis that could fit my future up grades]
    so i could go wit the mmp.. but herd of some slight problems with it, and its size.. with the tekin esc ill still be able to use my stock chassis n setup..

been struggling n googling info on this for a few days now and havent hered anyone doing this..

would be ALOT of help if anyone can shed some light on this for me so i can get my merv up n running!!!!

remember, stay thirsty my friends

cheers,

RC Champion
    The Tekin RS ESC should work with the stock Velineon 380 brushless sensorless motor. I don't see why it wouldn't.

To upgrade the motor to a 17.5T 1/12 scale motor, you're going to need a different motor mount. It isn't that much bigger.

Evgen used that same size motor, but not the 17.5T one. It's not too much bigger than stock and will fit fine on the chassis.

From the looks of this picture, I think that Evgen is using the Tenbol mount.

http://tenbol.com/products.html

Last edited by E-RevoVXL; 04-19-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Enthusiast
    ahh great!! that helps alot!!!!

thanks man!

RC Enthusiast
    would i hve to change the gears or pinions if i get the 17.5t motor...??

or would i just be safer and better off just gettin the esc and sticking with my stock brushless ..?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by num1stunn View Post
    would i hve to change the gears or pinions if i get the 17.5t motor...??

or would i just be safer and better off just gettin the esc and sticking with my stock brushless ..?
    17.5T=2500 Kv.

If anything, gear up for faster speeds.

The stock gearing should be fine with the 17.5T motor, though.

I would get the motor and the ESC, not just the ESC. I think that the motor is much smoother when accelerating than the stock one.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Champion
    1) from what I have read from the tekin boards the Tekin rs is small and powerful but is designed for 5-6 minute races (which is the normal times of MOST rc short course races) and tends to overheat (thermal) when run for longer times, you may have noticed that the mmmp "1 cell" special edition has no fan for the same reason. If you notice on the Tekin there are no heat dissapating fins (it uses the exposed connector poles to help dissapate heat). Though it would be much less taxed in a 1/16 size truck.

2) Also look into a motor mount and motor plate from a brushed 1/16 summit/erevo - its designed for a 550 sized motor and can be purchased new for $8 compared to the tenbol's $30, And mounts the motor slightly lower for better center of gravity and you will not have to cut open your water-proof receiver box. But the tenbol may have better heat fins.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    ahh ok.... so will i be able to use the stock motor mount with the 17.5t motor...? or the brushless ones cant fit..??

will i have problems with temps on the rs esc...?

or should i forget the rs esc and go for an mmp...?

would the stock Velineon 380 brushless run better with a rs or mmp...?

if its over all better long term i might aswell just get the tekin combo...

but this is still a tricky dilemma im in.. cause my stock esc blew" and would love to get my merv running with a solid set up so i dont hve to upgrade n buy new parts every month..

THANKS GUYS! APPRECIATE THE HELP!!!!! ill get pics up when i hve parts

RC Enthusiast
    should i just go with the mamba max pro with the velineon 380.....??

thats where im leading to considering all the complications

RC Qualifier
    That's the cheapest option assuming you have one handy already. Personally I love the Velineon 380 motor, its great as long as you have some sort of heat sink, especially if you intend on using LIPOs.

RC Enthusiast
    yea... price isnt the problem... just all the extra things n work ima hve to put into it if i get one of the combos...

i have a heat sink on it and am looking to purchase a mmp and using this integy chassis...... and im using a 2s lipo.

RC Qualifier
    yea... price isnt the problem... just all the extra things n work ima hve to put into it if i get one of the combos...

i have a heat sink on it and am looking to purchase a mmp and using this integy chassis...... and im using a 2s lipo.
    That's already a killer setup. The stock Velineon works plenty well with a heat sink, its the stock ESC that you should watch out for. So upgrading to a MMP would make your car a monster. In my opinion that's the single most important performance upgrade (the ESC) coupled with lipos.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Slono View Post
    That's already a killer setup. The stock Velineon works plenty well with a heat sink, its the stock ESC that you should watch out for. So upgrading to a MMP would make your car a monster. In my opinion that's the single most important performance upgrade (the ESC) coupled with lipos.
    aight thats great to hear man!

thanks! its settled then.. ima do that up

thanks for the help guys!! u rly know your stuff!!!!

RC Qualifier
    aight thats great to hear man!

thanks! its settled then.. ima do that up

thanks for the help guys!! u rly know your stuff!!!!
    No problem. If anybody else has anything to say feel free to chirp in!

RC Enthusiast
    ok so i got the mmp esc and now im SOL on connecting it to the stock brushless motor... i knew it was 3.5 to 4mm but thought there were convertors for this...

any ideas guys..?

RC Enthusiast
    as promised.. heres a pic so far of my MERV

i got 4mm male bullets and soldered em to the 3.5mm on the motor and tried connecting em to the mmp

one fit, but a real TIGHT fit... kinda crappy lookin but its the best i can do... now ONLY if i can get my mmp esc to connect to the transmitter..

every time i follow the quick start guide all the lights flash and makes a constant beeping sound. i aslo re bounded the transmitter to the link and tried again... same thing happen.. anybody else hve this problem..?

any ideas..?

RC Qualifier
    I'm curious to see what it looks like! Where are the pics?

RC Enthusiast
    lol, i just took one.. ill take more when i figure out this ESC thing and get my transmitter hooked up to em...

the "integy" bulkheads had a lil issues connecting to the integy chassis... but got it all to fit and connect solid after tinkering with it....

RC Enthusiast
    here one with the slip stream body on it...

STILL NOT RUNNIN THO!!!

having issues connecting the ESC to the transmitter.... n double checked every thing.. so IDK :[

let me know guys!!!! cuz id like to put it to USE n BASH and not have it sit here n look pretty...

RC Champion
    goto the castle web site- the have pdf files to download for all their products (troubleshoot)
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE