RC Competitor

How many gallons of fuel should I get to run before rebuild/replace motor?

How much fuel in gallons do the long time 3.3 users get on average before rebuild/replacement of engine if tuned properly? I have am on my forth gallon of fuel and tuning is more difficult but not immpossible. Anyway I am going to a big race next weekend in Herny County GA. and I don't really have the money for rebuild, but if it is for sure time for rebuild I will do it. The flywheel is pretty easy to turn over with finger is this a indication of worn sleeve/piston? I race my truck almost every weekend but haven't run it real hot or lean. Thanks for any info on 3.3 run time!

RC Champion
    If you're ready to replace your engine, you can always use the Engine Replacement Plan from Traxxas.

You can get a brand new TRX 3.3 Racing Engine for 1/2 off of the regular price.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by savannahmick View Post
    ......The flywheel is pretty easy to turn over with finger is this a indication of worn sleeve/piston? ......
    It may be an indication of a very nicely polished sleeve/piston. As long as the bearings or con bushing aren't worn out... it should be fast?

RC Competitor
    I guess I am just worring to much and ther no way to really tell unless you break it down and inspect. I was just curious how long most 3.3 last or opinions on how long they last. Thanks for any input!

Some last less than a tank, others around 8 gallons. One person reported 12 gallons. Tune plays a big part. So run it until something lets loose or it stalls when warm only to restart when cool.
    The Super Derecho

Mine is starting to die at about 6 gallons. It's very hard to tune and likes to stall alot when the motor reaches running temp around the 220 to 260F range, a big indicator of a worn piston/sleeve. What type of surface you run on is a big factor to how long a motor will last as well. I run mostly on short grass so there is alot more friction for the motor to overcome compared to if I ran on smooth dirt.

RC poster
    I've had about 5 or 6 3.3 engines and I seem to get about 5 gallons out of them before they blow. I have never raced them just some bashing on my track out back.