Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Cool My Rustler XL upgrade

I bought this Rustler XL on eBay about a month ago for pretty cheap. It was brand new, but did not have any of the packaging. Anyways, I played with it a few times and just couldn't get past how much slower it is than my Nitro Rustler. Went to the local hobby shop today and came home with a new brushless motor and esc, Dynamite Fuze 6800kv. I started putting it in, but need to decide how to mount the esc. There are no holes in it or anything to mount it. I also have to solder the deans plugs on and will also get a fan eventually. Thanks for checking out my project now on to the pix:
    What I started with:

New motor:

Motor in, now how to mount the esc. The deans plugs will be soldered on before I mount it:

Nitro Rustler, Rustler HW Brushless Motor, ESC

Good work pls. post video & let us see how it perform when it's done.

RC Champion
    Yeah, nice work!!
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. Any ideas on mounting the esc?

RC Champion
    I used some Velcro with sticky stuff on the other side and put my Castle SV2 esc where my old VXL esc was. It holds VERY good. did not move at all during hour long bashing sessions and I have to use a flathead to pry it off lol.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Champion
    Yeah. Lots of people use velcro for ESC mounting.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Qualifier
    I was thinking Velcro as well, just wasn't sure how it would hold. I just ordered a fan from RC Planet so when I get it back together it will be ready to go.

RC Competitor
    Velcro!!

How are you gonna gear it? That motor Kv is awfully high for a Rustler, imo. I had a tough time with 5700Kv.

RC Qualifier
    I am not sure on the gearing yet. Right now it is stock. I am pretty new to electric rc, so I am always open to suggestions.

RC Qualifier
    I would suggest gearing way low. since you're into nitros you have a temp gun right? I'm not sure what that motor is rated for but IMO don't get it above 185 F

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyGlow View Post
    Velcro!!

How are you gonna gear it? That motor Kv is awfully high for a Rustler, imo. I had a tough time with 5700Kv.
    x2.....................................

RC Qualifier
    I am not looking to get really high speeds as I don't have anywhere to do that, but would like it to be really quick. What gearing would you suggest to achieve this and still keep the motor and esc cool?

RC Champion
    you should start somewhere like a 14/86

RC Racer
    I was looking at that combo as well ......report back on how it works for you

RC Competitor
    that kv rating is way high. does it have enough torque for off-road runs? and doesnt higher kv heat up faster?

RC Qualifier
    I got the esc all hooked up and mounted last night. I had some issues soldering the deans plug on my battery, so I haven't been able to run it yet:

RC Champion
    Be careful with that motor. . . A friend of mine got the Fuze 5700 or 5800 whatever and there motor's OVER HEAT FAST ! They are cheap but you HAVE to monitor your temps. . . His has gone into heat shut down 2-3 times already. . And he even has it geared 15/86.

That 6800 is gonna wail! Just be careful.

RC Qualifier
    Ran my first battery through it last night. WOW! When the low voltage sensor kicked in and the truck slowed down, it was about the same speed as with the Titan 550 and XL-5. I need new tires because the stock tires just spin no matter what I do. I have to say I am more than pleased. I should be getting my esc fan at the end of this week, but I really didn't see the temps get that bad. Maybe with a different battery, but I am just using my Traxxas 7 hump pack, 8.4v 3300mah. Now pix of the completed install:

RC Champion
    Dang nice looking truggy........ thanks for your updates. Have you measured the temps yet? Please let us know about those. I'm thinking of upgrading my XL also and not sure which motor/ESC I'm going to buy. Still researching.

RC Racer
    Nice!! look's good

RC Champion
    Most LHS are pushing those Dynamite Fuse systems since they are getting them pretty darn cheap. . . The difference at the Hobby shop I go to between that system a 5800kv is $114 and the VXL is $130 I would go with the Traxxas one in a heart beat.

I dunno if it's the fact that your only running NIMH or the lower voltage. I just know that my friends 5800 motor and matched with a 3s 11.1v Lipo that thing get STUPID hot! And it's geared down to a 15/86. Heck we even added chipset heatsinks to the motor. And it still reaches temp shut down.

RC Qualifier
    I am currently running the stock gearing, but will be changing that soon. I ran it last night and it got pretty hot, but never shut down. I just got my esc fan from rc planet today so I hope that will help some. I was thinking about cutting some vent holes in the body as well so air can move through it easier.

RC Champion
    I wonder if they make a fan for it like the castle motors. That might help to.

RC Competitor
    An ESC fan won't help with high motor temps.

An aluminum tranny is the best way to keep motor temps down. I"d say it is almost a necessity with a motor that has a higher KV.

RC Qualifier
    Do you have a video? And how do you like that setup?
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    No video, but the set up is really fast. It does get really hot so you have to watch it closely. I am running it with the stock gearing and after today, I think I am going to wait until I get my new pinion and spur gear.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rraattrroodd View Post
    you should start somewhere like a 14/86
    Where can I find a 14 -t pinion? It is currently running 23/90, so I have to do something and the lowest I can find is either 15 or 16.

RC Qualifier
    robinson racing .under tower hobbies...
    vxl rustler
    slash

its called yahoo use it

RC Qualifier
    Brief update, just ordered an Integy Heat Sink w/ motor fan, GH Aluminium Gear Box, Robinson Racing 14T 48P Pinion and Traxxas 86T 48P Spur Gear. Should be back on in action sometime next week. I should not have any problems with overheating.

RC Qualifier
    Update time. Received my new parts from rcplanet.com yesterday and spent some time getting everything installed. I did not install the motor heatsink w/fan due to needing to cut some plastic to make it fit. Now for the pix:

Comparing the difference in the 23t pinion and the 14t pinion as well as the 90t spur and 86t spur:

Going back together:

RC Champion
    Great looking rig..... you did all your own work? How difficult was it to install the aluminum tranny cover?

Also, did you get the ESC fan installed? How did that work out?

Gotta' get some idea how your gearing is working out for ya'. My grandson has a CC 4600kV and geared (currently) @ 18/86. I know that's not high enough, but, it's all we've got for now..... got some more ordered.

No problems with heat but he's running NiMH. LiPo to come much later after he learns to handle the power of this beast!!
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Qualifier
    I did all of the work and it was not really very difficult. Just remember what goes where when you take it apart. The ESC fan has been running for a few weeks now and works great. I would like to try some different pinion's, but the 14t is all I have right now. I am running an 86t spur and am planning on sticking with that. I ran my first lipo in it a couple of weeks ago. It was a 3s 5000mah. It screamed and would wheelie on demand, any speed, with the tires ballooning. I ran it for around 40 minutes and never had any issues with heat. I did break the servo saver, but did not find out until I took it to HotShots RC track a few days later and found that it would not turn worth a crap. I plan on going back this weekend, if not to run the track, get a few parts. I have to get my son a servo for his Losi MiniDT and I want to get an RPM bumper and some aluminum shock caps. Mine kept popping off at the track.

RC Racer
    i am also running a 6800kv in my rustler and a 3cell 40c lipo. running 32 pitch gears (13/56) with a host of other pinion gears,aluminum trans, and other goodies. my truck literally screams when i squeeze the trigger, i love it.----- kz903

RC poster
    that thing is going to scream..

RC Qualifier
    Some more updates:
    Notice no more antennae sticking out of the body. That is thanks to my new FlySky GT3B 2.4 radio and receiver:

A couple of other changes have been made since my last update. I added the RPM front bumper and adjustable turnbuckles so I can adjust my camber. I pulled them off of my parts Nitro Rusty. I have also added 30wt shock oil rear and a Traxxas 2075 servo.

The steering is much better with the turnbuckles and some camber as well as the new servo and radio. I always had issues with my steering returning to center with my Traxxas 27mhz radio, but that is all gone now. My next upgrades will be aluminum shock caps (mine kept popping off at the track) and Lipo and charger. This thing is not as much fun now that I know what it will do on 3s and I only have the NiMh.

RC Racer
    How much camber are you running

RC Qualifier
    It has quite a bit right now, but I am not sure if I will keep it that way. I had just put them on and had not adjusted anything yet when I took the pix. It does turn really well though. Not sure if that is because of the camber or all of the other things that have recently been done.

RC Qualifier
    Lookin good! How do you like the gt3b?

RC Qualifier
    I love it so far. I am going to get one for my son as well as a few more rx's for my other rc's. It has so many options that I haven't even begun to check out yet. I got it for $35 + free shipping.

RC Qualifier
    Time for a JC Illuzion or Proline Desrt Rat body with a sick paint job... real nice keep it up
    Rustler VXL
    Two Slash 4x4 VXL's
    Spartan Boat