Thread: revo conversion

RC Competitor

Exclamation revo conversion

hello everyone,

i am trying to decide on what parts to buy to convert my revo 3.3 to bl.
    i would like to mostly crawl with it as my slash does the high speed stuff.
    i am very limited on budget being 12 but would still like to get good parts.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    'Very limited budget' & 'good parts'; - I fear you wont have much luck there, but we shall try anway...

If crawling is your thing, then look into the summit suspension setup ( rockers and shock fluid & springs mainly ), then grab some crawler wheels & tires of your choice- summit ones seem to be alright but there are many other options naturally; still, look into the summit section as there is lots of discussion on that subject.

Some heavy fluid in the diffs would be a good idea, to simulate a limited slip setup ( you could lock them but then it will handle like a bus- personal choice really ).

The main thing will be the motor mount, then the motor & esc you choose; I woud suggest a dewalt motor really as they are quite cheap and very robust/ powerful, provided you choose the right one- 14.4v dewalt would do nicely with an EVX2 esc:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWalt-14-4V-396...item1e5cfafee0 ( part# 396505-21 )

or for other single motor options:

http://www.robotwars.00server.com/emaxxupgrade.html scroll down to section 6 and have a read- all perfectly applicable still for the revo.

As for the mount, you have several options really:

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...vomount&cat=44

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXANZN&P=7

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rsion-Kit-Revo

There are others, if you can find them that is ( BlueGroove Concepts have a nice mount but their site is down ), but generally speaking the the teknorc & rc-monster mounts are the best ones; Integy have a bad rep for parts quality but occasionally they make good stuff too.

You will also need to lock the revo tranny into 2nd gear so that you have forwards & reverse without needing weak shifter parts or reverse modules etc- info here:

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7441
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Competitor
    thanks for the info i am only looking into bl from my experience from the slash. the rc monster moter mount looks good. i like the mmm with a kershaw designes motor would be good. novak is coming out with a sesord moter soon wich might be in my price range. i dont really like the idea of locking the tranny into 2nd because it is cool having a 2 speed.

RC Enthusiast
    I say go with tekin if you want no brushes, its sensored and that is excally what the sensor is for , Going SLOW, youtube mmm vs. tekin crawling and you will be able to see the difference, when you get near something with a mmp it surgesback an forth like granny and the sensors pick up where the rotor is and doesnt allow it to momentarily slip backwards. If you go brushed you willl not have this problem at all. Brushed motors have drag when there is no power going to them that will help keep you from rolling backwards.

RC Enthusiast
    oh my credentials a 2.5r revo stretched to 19 inch wheelbase 4ws and powered by a 770 brushed & novak hv and a savage tranny locked in 1st gear. and one of the guys i used to crawl with sold his custom dual rustler tranny crawler to a company and now it is called a cliff climber

RC Competitor
    thanks dfrawg the problem with the tenkin is it like $350 i need to know something more convincing to put out that much money.

RC poster
    i just did a Revo3.3 into a crawler, used a E-Revo tranny and MMM ESC with a 32V Dewalt motor, i completely replaced teh tranny to get rid of the reverse and junk since the Nitro tranny isnt locked, made things way easier, but if you wanna crawl you gotta move the steering servos or youll hang up on everything and fry servos

RC Competitor
    i like having the two speed tranny with the mechanical brake and what do you mean buy you have to move the steering servos?

RC Competitor
    im starting to consider going just going with a mmm with 18v dewalt
    Last edited by slash o matic; 04-18-2011 at 06:33 AM.

RC Competitor
    where do you buy them and where do buy replacement brushes?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ebay usually, or just google the part number- there are several large tool suppliers who carry the spare parts.

RC poster
    the steering linkages comming from the servo get hung up on rocks and wreck your servos, im still working on better placement myself

RC Competitor
    oh ok i dont know how much you can do about it though

RC Champion
    for my revo i actually have the knuckles set up backward. So a knuckle that is supposed to be on the right is on the left and stuff...it puts the linkages up higher so the dont get hung up as easily
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Competitor
    thanx guys im not as worried about the suspension as much right now as i want to get it going soon so more info on getting a power plant would be great.can some one give a direct link to the motors and replacement brushes.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Never heard of google?

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/mot...n-p-64870.html

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/sea...acturer=DeWALT

Dont ask me which brush is for the 396505-21 ( 14v dewalt motor ), but Im sure you can exercise your grey matter and figure it out with a little reading- asking people to tell you exactly what to buy & where to get it is a tad lazy really, you need to do some research yourself and don't expect to be spoon fed info, especially when it involves custom work which isnt exactly covered by a manual..

RC Competitor
    sorry for being "lazy" but thank you for the info. the reason i asked was because i did not know if there was a better place to buy them than ebay or a tool shop.

RC Racer
    If u have a local place its better. My first 14.4 i got from the robotwars but with shipping it was like 38 bucks vs 29 in town. Brushs from ereplacements were cheap but with shipping again they were more then the local place by a few bucks. You could get it from sears and do a store pick up on both parts also with no shipping if you one close.
    dewalt 14.4

RC Competitor
    ok thank you. is the dewalt a beater crawling motor than a bl motor or is it good just because its cheap

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    BL motors don't make the best crawler motors because they are generally much too fast ( long and complicated story, depends on the type of BL motor you get- inrunners are the normal type used in trucks & cars & are faster, outrunners are the type designed for more torque and slower rpms- normally used in r/c aircraft ), and dont cope well with low rpms- that's why a sensored motor & esc setup ( tekin rx8 ) is favoured by many summit drivers.
    Brushed motors however have no such low-speed ( cogging ) issues and you can find something just the right speed & torque for your needs ( lathe motors- higher turns = slower and more torque ) usually, though they are more commonly found used in pairs in something like a clod based crawler, or used on their own in a smaller prop-driven crawler, such as like axial racing sell.

Depends what your idea of crawling is though really- a regular dewalt motor is a good replacement for the titan(s), but you'd need to have the truck setup with a 2spd gearbox to reduce the wheel speed and increase torque for climbing up really steep hills; summit would be better suited than an erevo..

RC Competitor
    thanks armryofdarkkness since i am just looking at crawling and mild bashing it looks like the dewalt would preform the best over a bl setup.