Thread: 1/10 motor/ esc

Wink 1/10 motor/ esc

i currently own a rustler vxl and was thinking about turning it into an off road machine and buying a rally for on road use. i was wondering a couple of things:
    1- can the rally accelerate in a straight line very fast?
    2- how easy is it to pitch into a drift?
    3- would the 1/10 vxl combo fit in the rally?
    4- is the rally fun enough to be worth the price?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nothin compared to a rustler vxl View Post
    1- can the rally accelerate in a straight line very fast?
    2- how easy is it to pitch into a drift?
    3- would the 1/10 vxl combo fit in the rally?
    4- is the rally fun enough to be worth the price?
    1) Sure it can, and getting some better knuckles and dialing in your set up will help this.

2) I don't drive mine in dirt so I'll let someone else field this.

3) Yeah, lots of us are putting in various 1/10 combos. I have a castle sv2 combo in mine and pics in my thread if you care to look.

4) That will always vary from person to person. Some people love them and others get one and hate it. There are obviously a lot of people on here who really enjoy them. For me it helps that I have a friend who has one also so we can bash together.
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Racer
    I'm currently using a 4.5turn 1/10th scale motor/esc combo and for question 1, Yes and quite quickly ! As So Cold said better knuckles and some tweaking and it's a screamer ! 2) for on-road use, it depends on which tires you're using. Stock tires, yes.. drifts well. 3) yes it will with the proper Traxxas 540 motor adapter which comes on the brushed versions. 4) in my opinion, well worth it. My kids and I have a blast with these and actually run them more than their Slashes. Where I work we would typically get together once a week to run our 18th scale cars during our lunch breaks. Since the Rally, most of us have shelved our 18th scale cars. Pound for Pound the Rally is more fun.

RC Qualifier
    1) I'm not on LiPo yet but even on NiMh with proper suspension setup and sticky tires it flat rips!.
    2) Depends on surface, choice of tires and suspension setup, and driver skill, but yes, absolutely can be. Wet pavement and decomposed granite (baseball diamond) are my faves to drift on.
    3) Sticking with stock Velineon setup for now...
    4) Love it. I can't think of another "mini" R/C that you can rock technical on-road grip, drift, in the wet, or go bashing off into the dirt.

Please do not attempt to bypass the language filter--it is there for a reason. There are other ways to word things...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-12-2011 at 11:06 PM.
    The prototype project.

Hey So Cold how fast does the rally go with a 1/10 scale motor/esc combo, would the new sct 3800 combo fit? also how well does the suspension handle bumps and dirt? thanks in advance.

RC Qualifier
    Out of the box, the things that make the Rally good at drifting hold it back a bit on rough ground. It's got too-short suspension travel (limiters in the shocks) and stiffish springs for rough stuff; passable but it skitters around a bit. The stiff drift tires aren't really appropriate for dirt, either.

I have a spare set of modified Slash shocks that I swap in for dedicated days of off-road work (no limiters in front), and I'll put my HPI X wheelset on for anything that needs treaded grip. Takes just a couple minutes to go from slammed pavement sled to leaping WRC rally car.
    The prototype project.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nothin compared to a rustler vxl View Post
    Hey So Cold how fast does the rally go with a 1/10 scale motor/esc combo, would the new sct 3800 combo fit? also how well does the suspension handle bumps and dirt? thanks in advance.
    Right now I only run nimh's in parallel and I can probably do mid thirties. But I am getting lipos soon and will update then but I should be booking with a 3s.

And as far as different surfaces go you can probably find a set up that will be descent on any reasonable surface (smooth, loose dirt, packed dirt, rough concrete...) but you can definitely dial it in good for each surface. I run a lot in my parking garage so I try to set up for a real smooth surface.
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded