RC Qualifier

This Ever Happen To You?

Man, two days in a row of things going bad with the Pede. I really want to finish my Slash MT to have a backup when I go out.

This happened today and I still can't figure out why other that metal fatigue. I was performing some lite jumps and then I notice one side was slammed to the grown and I knew something went bad, it would not move when I tried to pull it. I bent a rear shock shaft although at first I thought I was just out of fluid and it seized. I was able to bend it back when I got home but I don't trust it at this point.

Yesterday, on the opposite rear side, I had a set screw back off the MIP axle and it caused this damage. I only noticed this when I installed my second battery pack so I don't know how long I drove it with the pin exposed. I like to apply thread lock and let it sit for hours so my day ended within 40 minutes as well.

If you look at the top of the carrier you see the damage. Control arm got some attention as well. Not a huge deal but back to back short outings.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Champion
    Time to upgrade!
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Man, I always seem to have short outings... which is why I always take my 2X4 and 4X4 pede. Today I broke 2 front wheels and the 4X4 shaft drive spline on the slipper assembly just exploded... All in a days work i guess... time for parts.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN SPEED. View Post
    Time to upgrade!
    I wish I could but I'll have to try and score some cheap ones on eBay for now. Between my rc shopping spree and iPad 2 purchase I'm in the red and the moment. What are our options? I have to do some research for when I'm ready. I'll upgrade both my slash and pede.

Lol Pavement, I need to start taking my slash along. It's just that I don't want to run it until it's finished. All I need is a body and I'm set.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Competitor
    I've had the same shock problem with my slash 4x4 and rustler. Hasn't happened in a while though. Both times there were no unusually large jumps or crashes. Just kinda happened.

I have had no problems like that with my p4de with the shocks or mip shafts.
    ==
    Slash4X4 Jato Ten-TE T-Maxx P4de MERV SC10

RC Competitor
    The exact same thing happened to me today! My shock was stock all the way down and I pulled it back up. I ordered some 1664T hardened steel titanium nitride coated shafts. Hopefully they will hold up :/

RC Champion
    had that happen a lot with my 2wd Pede's shocks, big air, too thick oil and paved landing ares will do that, lol. After doing that with nearly new Big Bores, I just adapted a set of Revo GTR Shocks to my Pede. No problems since then when it comes to shock shafts. I doubt the 1664T's will be of much help though, they're just 1664's coated with the Ti-Ni coating.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Enthusiast
    well that same thing happened to me! (bent shock shafts) so i decided to splurge and get some pro line shocks! cost too much but im satisfied with the results! they work like there supposed to... soaks up the chop and have good resistance to bottoming. it also reduced my amount of rollovers dramatically! just my two cents hoped this helped somebody some how haha!

RC Competitor
    awww, so I wasted money buying the 1664t? I have a set of piggyback shocks but they are in a plastic baggy and there is oil leaking. I thought I didn't want to deal with leaking shocks. Or is it normal? haha

RC Qualifier
    my TRX Alum shocks with the TI rods also did this with in 15 minutes. Kind of sucked.. Still need to get a replacement.

RC Competitor
    I actually just straightened mine out and they seem to have perfect travel. I mean the worst that can happen is that it will just bend again?... Right?

RC Qualifier
    I also straightened mine and went bashing today. I held up well on some extreme bashing. Only dang problem I had was that my MIP set screw loosened again!! This time I lost parts. It's about $35 in parts plus shipping but still peeves the heck out of me. For a few dollars more I may as well buy a whole rear set. Crooks.

-Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley View Post
    ...I doubt the 1664T's will be of much help though, they're just 1664's coated with the Ti-Ni coating.
    do you know this as fact? i have been told directly by traxxas that the ti ni shafts are made of a different hardened steel, then coated?

RC Racer
    2 of my Stock shock bent at the skate park. I have the big bore on now I hope that I don't have any issues...
    What type of lock tight are you using?
    I have some mips but I have not broke my stock ones yet waiting to do that before I swap over.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by becdino View Post
    2 of my Stock shock bent at the skate park. I have the big bore on now I hope that I don't have any issues...
    What type of lock tight are you using?
    I have some mips but I have not broke my stock ones yet waiting to do that before I swap over.

I use red lock tight. Pretty much use that on everything. I can't explain it either because it's only happened to the right rear side twice now. All the other ones have held up great so far. I usually let my lock tight set for 24hrs before using my rc toys. Bad luck I guess and at least it's not with the truck. I may throw a stock cvd in there this weekend. I can't just sit on the sidelines!
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Champion
    a good idea is to use loctite and put some shrink tubing over where the pin goes as a back up. works wonders.

and as far as shocks, i have the traxxas aluminum ones, and had the big bores on my flm 2x4 pede i would literally jump tree limbs 20+ feet of air with my castle system and never bent a single shock shaft.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-12-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: merge
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexracing View Post
    a good idea is to use loctite and put some shrink tubing over where the pin goes as a back up. works wonders.
    Not a bad ideaers.......not a bad ideaers at all.

Anyone heard of or have experience with the Team Blue Star shocks for our pede? I saw a set on eBay and they look beefy as heck.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Racer
    Do you have a pic of that?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by becdino View Post
    Do you have a pic of that?
    i founds this on google, its the nitro rustler forum but the topic is exactly what i was talking about. has a good picture too.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...451-CVDs-Again
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Racer
    i founds this on google, its the nitro rustler forum but the topic is exactly what i was talking about. has a good picture too.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...451-CVDs-Again
    Thanks I'm going to pick some up before install the MIP's

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by andale927 View Post
    I actually just straightened mine out and they seem to have perfect travel. I mean the worst that can happen is that it will just bend again?... Right?
    lol my thoughts exactly. I've bent a few different shocks now several times, I just bend them back and keep rolling. I thought about getting upgraded shocks but I think i'm just going to get a stock set for super cheap and just replace them as they break. If bending every once in a while on an extreme jump is the worst I have to deal with, that's really not bad at all.