RC Champion

Just installed the first sct 3800

So im sitting there holding the pede in my left hand holding it up and flip the esc switch on to start calibrating. Oh yeah big mistake. This combo has some torque. It shook so bad. It was so incredible. Can't wait to test her out. Just had to post about my enthusiasm...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I got my 3800 motor in this evening and tried it out with 15/54 gearing on 2S and MAN... its sweet. It was dark so I only had time to test it real quick but torque is not going to be a problem. And speed on 2S with that gearing was pretty nuts.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Lol ....I had my girlfriend hold it after I calibrated, gave it a quick blip, she said great that will brake some parts for ya...lol
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Champion
    I adjusted the slipper about a full turn for now just until we can get the feel of it. It's my sons truck so I'm going to let him run the beast. I'll run it when he's over at his moms house. Still waiting on my other combo for my oldest. We ran outside a bit ago and were popping mad crazy wheelies. Almost had some backflips. But it was dark and all the dogs started barking. Too bad it's sprinkling otherwise I'd be driving the neighbors crazy! After seeing how crazy powerful this thing is I'm strongly considering picking one up for myself...

RC Qualifier
    I put mine in a couple nights ago and tested it out at the track yesterday and let me tell you, this combo is awesome I was clearing the doubles with ease, the triple not so easy but I did get it once. Out of the six cars and trucks there I was the only one to get it. Once again this is a GREAT little setup

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dknuckles View Post
    I adjusted the slipper about a full turn for now just until we can get the feel of it. It's my sons truck so I'm going to let him run the beast. I'll run it when he's over at his moms house. Still waiting on my other combo for my oldest. We ran outside a bit ago and were popping mad crazy wheelies. Almost had some backflips. But it was dark and all the dogs started barking. Too bad it's sprinkling otherwise I'd be driving the neighbors crazy! After seeing how crazy powerful this thing is I'm strongly considering picking one up for myself...
    You might want to tighten it a bit more...I originally had my out 3/4 turn and it slipped like crazy! I currently at 1/2 a turn and it's still slipping a little more then I want. I tried 1/4 but it hardly slipped at all and just does back flips.
    Had-> MERV, ERBE, Stampede 4x4

RC Champion
    doesnt the 4x4 come with the 3800?
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ToXiC MeRv View Post
    doesnt the 4x4 come with the 3800?
    Nope, comes with 2-pole 3500kv. Castle is a 4-pole 3800kv which has both more torque and more speed.

Dknuckles, what's your tires, gearing and battery? I would tend to agree with DC, in that I would tighten the slipper some. This thing will glaze the clutch pads pretty quick, if you aren't careful, on the other hand it will also break stuff pretty quickly, if it's to tight. It's a fine line to walk.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    Im running the dirt hawgs on the front and talons in the back for now. I'll be replacing the dirt hawgsbecause they are too small. The slipper was adjust half turn last week and snapped the ear off the stub axle. So I'l tighten back to half and then 3/4 and try from there. Now I have extra stubs just incase they break.

I would generally regard different sized tires as a bad idea on a 4wd. Especially with the smaller ones up front.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Agreed very much. All 4 tires are spinning the same RPM... if 2 are smaller they are technically going slower... this means either your pushing your front end or pulling your rear end around. Hard on the drivetrain also.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    When I bought the dirt hawgs I didn't payy attention to thier size. Didn't think they were that big of a difference until they came in. Now I'm going to sell them and pick up some Talons or Trenchers. I have to buy 3 sets so its always about money when the pie is only so big when you are fielding several vehicles at once.

RC Competitor
    You definately want all 4 tires the same size on a four-wheel drive. Your driveline is getting excessive damage from not being the same. I can definately understand the cost of maintaining (I have 10 vehicles) but I would reccomend against running that way at all. If you have ever ridden in a full size 4wd vehicle that has a different size tire you would see a bit better, it's always working harder to do everything, even just coasting.

Personally, I won't even change tread pattern from front to rear (on a 4wd, 2wd is a whole different ball-game.)

The following link gives a little information regarding 4wd's and tire matching. It's for full size vehicles but some of it applies to RC. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=18
    ==
    Slash4X4 Jato Ten-TE T-Maxx P4de MERV SC10

RC Champion
    Im running the dirt hawgs on the front and talons in the back for now. I'll be replacing the dirt hawgsbecause they are too small. The slipper was adjust half turn last week and snapped the ear off the stub axle. So I'l tighten back to half and then 3/4 and try from there. Now I have extra stubs just incase they break.
    I theory The problem with different tires Front to Rear is that when all 4 have equall traction then something will Break.

On These Rc's the exception to this rule might be to install the Centre Diff as it will allow the 2 drives TO turn at different speeds. the affect it may have on the centre diff is probably extra wear or damage

The Slipper clutch will NOT allow this. and when the wheels have equall traction the Shafts will wear excessive

By the way is the 3800 shaft 1/8 or 5mm?
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Champion
    I didn't intend to run the different tires long. Just until I purchased some new ones. Looks funny and causes handling issues. I understand the wear and tear that can and will happen. I'm waiting to hopefully seal a deal on a new set otherwise I'll be being some new ones this week.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    just got my sct 3800 combo, I have two question.

1. motor mount plate: do you use the stock traxxas screws to mount the motor I noticed the plate is not that tight didn't want to force the screws all the way in but they are tight.

2. The motor shaft is a little bit short I had to move the pinion almost to the end to proper mesh with the spur.

Anyone noticed that any ideas?..

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    That's the same thing we've run into unless you have an upgrade plate that's thicker than stock. What I did was trimmed a few mm off the screws. If you look down the holes, you will see the edge of the can. The factory length screw will stop against the can before its tight so either get shorter screws, trim the ones you have or get a thicker plate. I think the first 2 options are the easiest but an upgrade plate with heat sink slots isn't a bad idea either. As for the shaft, ya, its a bit short but it'll work. I haven't had any problem with mine. I did have to locktite it, the grub came loose a couple times the first week.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Same here...cut mine done 1-2mm.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    great it worked I dremmel down the screws, thanks guys.

RC Champion
    I was thinking of picking up some thin washers. But dremeling sounds better.

RC Qualifier
    I was thinking of picking up some thin washers. But dremeling sounds better.
    Can't really use washers. The top of the screw is countersunk as it has to be flush with motor plate. You could put washers behind the motor plate but that would let dirt/dust in and the motor wouldn't be supported very well.

RC Champion
    What tooth pinion are you guys running to get close to stk speed?
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

3500/3800 x stock pinion = stock speed
    Therefore, using a 12T pinion should yield very close to stock speed.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =