RC Competitor

Anyone doing precision drifts?

I love the car. I love mashing on the throttle and going fast, but also being able to drift.

I'm having a hard time doing precision drifts ala ken bloch style. Every now and then I can get a cool looking one. But as to doing what ken bloch does (like circles around cones) or perfectly wedging the car lengthwise between 2 cones....

Angrymelon did a sweet video soon after the car came out. But I don't really know how to do what he does in even a mildly reliable manner.

any tips on set up? Is it even possible to do the gymkhana driving in a percise manner?

Practice with brakes and throttle control.
    The Super Derecho

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You gotta remember also that being IN the car is different than driving via RC... being able to FEEL and adjust as the car is moving makes precision driving far easier than anticipating what the car will do with your eyes and adjusting with your hands.

But Double G is right, practice ALOT... the more you practice the better youll get. Also, having really quick hand/eye coordination is helpful.. some people do have it and some dont.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    heavier diff fluids make the car more consistent. Ball differentials are so much easier to tune for onroad, but Traxxas doesn't make any (not even 4Tec).

practice practice practice but in the same area. no sense trying to get used to how the car handles when you're on a different surface each time.

RC Qualifier
    What tires are you using? If you get an extremely hard-compound slippy tire it will make things much more predictable. The only drawback is it moves slower, but that makes it much easier to control.
    Are the tires supposta to blow off going into 2nd?

RC Competitor
    Thanks for tghe responses guys. Sorry I havent been able to get back to the forum very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonen View Post
    heavier diff fluids make the car more consistent. Ball differentials are so much easier to tune for onroad, but Traxxas doesn't make any (not even 4Tec).
    I thought there was a ball diff available? Like the people with MERVs upgrade with them.

Quote Originally Posted by M5burndt View Post
    What tires are you using? If you get an extremely hard-compound slippy tire it will make things much more predictable. The only drawback is it moves slower, but that makes it much easier to control.
    I'm just using stock. I kind of like being able to get to full throttle. I have some drifting wheels/tires. Are you able to drift like the dedicated drifting cars with those kind of tires?

RC Qualifier
    Yes, it is much easier to predict and control your drifts. I would definitely recommend a heavier diff fluid too, you wont spin out as much in a really steep drift. I wish i woulda put up a video of mine at regular speed but the one I put up is slo-mo and its hard to tell the difference drift tires can make. You can actually make your own by putting 2" pvc over some rims and gluing it. I did this and at first they werent too good, but i sanded the edges of the pvc to be smoother and that make it a lot better. Thought, they are still not as good as my set of HPI tires. The only drawback of the HPI's are that they are expensive, and they wear out fairly quickly. Whereas PVC "tires" are dirt cheap and last forever.

Here is a video thats closer to what it will look like with hard tires.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I would like to see some fluid turn combinations of this car consistently completing transitions from turn to turn without spinning out. With the short wb, it is hard to do with this car.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, thats my problem too. It works pretty good for drifts of different sizes/speeds in one direction, but as soon as you try to swing the back end over to change sides, it usually spins out. I think it would help to get a stronger and much quicker steering servo though.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    It could be just that its overpowered. Running 3s in training mode, I had much more control, and stability, even with pvc tires, but I just could not link together successive turn after turn drifts like I could with my ta02.

RC Qualifier
    I think what it mainly comes down to is throttle control. With purpose built "drift cars" that have a longer wheelbase, this is not as big of an issue as they are more stable. But because the rally is such a small car, a little bit of tires slippage has a much larger effect. I also notice a big difference in "training mode" at least when i first got my rally. But now i'm better so i dont need to limit the car to maintain control.

RC Competitor
    Has anyone tried putting the stock Rally/KB/mustang/fiesta tires on a touring/drift car? I wonder what that would be like.

I just saw the new traxxas kb part 2 video. Its pretty neat. While it does show some precision drifting, it doesn't seem to show that much. Cool though. I'd like to make videos like that. Seems like a lot of work though.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigken View Post
    Has anyone tried putting the stock Rally/KB/mustang/fiesta tires on a touring/drift car? I wonder what that would be like.
    Not really drifting in this vid, but the KB tires are on a Tamiya TA05.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTnP5LtSw3Q

RC Qualifier
    Consistent power over grip is a key ingredient, as is control. I've found that on my well-worn Rally tires on the smooth ish street pavement I can get nice sets drifts going for the first part of the NiMh pack. But once the power starts to taper off, there's not enough juice to really keep the wheels spinning when they need to be and things start snapping between boggy grip and spin-out instead of flowing. Fwiw, I'm running a splitter and underfloor now, too, and have much better balance.
    Last edited by prototyp; 04-13-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    The prototype project.

RC Enthusiast
    I've drifted for a solid year before having bought this. As some of you know, i bought it to try to make it do as its title intended (and got pretty close). However before that, and in the months after my rally tires busted, i spent about a week looking up parts i would need, and other peoples successes (which there really were none, apparently people were satisfied with just the misnamed road drifter).

While that was going on, i spent time trying to tune it to what its "originally intended" which i assume was supposed to be drifting so i dont wana hear that counter argument when i say this since there is no stated "intent" for this RC. Its called a rally, the videos never show it off pavement, and the parts inside are really ment for neither...

The car just isnt extremely well designed... for anything. Because guess what, the chassis "wasnt intended" for what its currently built for. Its a Merv chassis. It has inherent, built in flaws that really prevent it from doing well at anything. From its shoddy suspension system (which BTW is 30% of your tuning), to its EXTREMELY high center of gravity, and really lousy tire compound, you'll be hard pressed to get a consistant drift out of it.

Not to mention this. Think of your stock setup Rally. Now compare its setup to a successful Drift RC. There are several things wrong. First, you have a VERY high set ride height, and for street you want it as low as possible. Again a CoG issue. A high COG exaggerates the effects of weight transfer, which makes your RC have less consistent grip over the wheels.

Next, your suspension is all soft and loamy. Infact, its running green springs, which are some of its softest. This confused the JUNK out of me why it would be like this ON A(n apparently dedicated) STREET RC. I'd say, these resemble OFF ROAD springs. Harder springs will give you better response on the steering, and also reduce roll in turns.

Third, Eyeball where your CoG will be. For most successful street RC, you want it low as possible. Specifically for drift, you want it either dead center, or pushed up front. For this RC, its a bit back (not an issue) but its also WAY UP HIGH. This jacks up... pretty much alot. Your stability goes out the window. Most rally uses dont see this as an issue because your pseudo drift wheels dont have enough grip to begin with to grip flip it. However, most rally users dont realize the huge negative impact the COG is having. Because its higher, when you enter a turn your weight is entirely thrown onto your outer most wheels, which causes them to dig in. This results in CONSIDERABLY less consistent drifts, as your car will want to suddenly grip mid slide. A nice low COG will keep consistent pressure across all wheels as it enters and leaves a turn. Consistent pressure means consistent grip, and a better drift.

Look at your differentials. EVERY drifter out there will tell you to lock that rear up. The rear on the rally is actually a VERY VERY soft gear diff. Again, bad for drifting because you want consistent power across all wheels at all times, or atleast your rear wheels so you can maintain a sideways angle. With out it, your RC will try to pull its self straight as per the action of the differential.

Front differentials are up for debate, but any respectable drift RC would at least provide some options here.

Last, examine the tires. Notice how they arnt made of any compound used by other drift RC's? Thats because its a terrible compound. Traxxas wanted to do a "half grip half drift" setup, which you can say it is, but its not. Theyre a attempt at gymkhana wheels. They grip too much to be able to enter a drift, then when they do they suddenly let loose. You require FAR too much power and RPM to break it loose and keep it there. Not that it doesnt have it, but you have very little control at the rates of RPM your at by the time you break loose.

So, as you can see, theres a compounding issue between the CoG, springs, and diffs, that your car will want to suddenly grip, and then pull straight. When your drifting, you have to constantly fight those effects which isnt something you should be focusing on. The key to drifting is consistent grip. You want to have a highly predictable grip across all wheels so you know how much slide you have, when, and where. The physics and nature of the Rally create a wildly shifting balance between your wheels as the chassis rocks, rolls, squats and diffs, creating a constant flux that you have to just kind of deal with.

I've even watch the wheels while drifting, and have seen the outer wheels go as far as to completely stop mid turn with stock oils. Sorry, that should NEVER happen on a drifter...

Quite honestly i'm surprised (even suspicious) people are as happy with this RC as they are, specially at its price tag.
    Last edited by 3_rolls; 04-19-2011 at 09:15 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    @Chaos
    You make valid points, but for me this was a fun car to get back into RC with. And I'll enjoy tinkering with and modifying it for my own driving style. I like that it was RTR for only $300 and came with waterproof gear.

I've had a blast with the car.

Driving is not a leisure time activity.
    Driving is not a leisure time activity.

RC Qualifier
    Hi Chaos. That's a great critique. There still seems to be this issue of what the Rally is perceived (marketed) to be and what it actually is.

I didn't buy the Rally expecting it to be a specialized drifter, regardless of the "rally" or gymkhana marketing. Anyone with a modicum of automotive understanding can see it's clearly not a low-slung drift-optimized chassis, and with its COG compromises and suspension-tuning limitations clearly not going to be a world-class road racer either... The folks who want one those kinds of cars are likely well aware that there are plenty of options on the market. I don't really feel like Traxxas is "duping" or tricking anyone, despite their marketing...

What makes the Rally unique is that it is a jack-of-all-trades type of car, built on a tough truggy chassis platform. This is the sweet spot that's been missing in the market for years, and is what is appealing about it for individuals who might have only one R/C (and why some of us are still enjoying it).

I bought it because I wanted an accessible, fun, road and off-road-ready hooligan car. I actually like that there's so much room for tuning in terms of shifting the design's compromises between uses. I like that it's a totally different car with and without my hand-made underfloor aero. I like that swapping out spring/shocks takes it from slammed on-road sled to fully offroad capable. I like that I don't have to worry about every little pebble on the street tearing up my car. I also like that I can drift it out of my garage, across the sidewalk, jump over the gutter, fly up the street, in the rain, and up into the dirt without really having to change anything (or worry about breaking anything).

Turns out that drifting is pretty fun, too. I'm getting better at it, which seems to correlate with decreasing traction on my og Rally tires... I think there's some experimenting to do with diff stiffness (as you pointed out, the front is stiffer than the rear, which is essentially fully open), and for sure need a set of some actual drift tires.

I can see how someone with a garage-full of specialized R/C vehicles would find the Rally boring or overly compromised. It seems pretty clear, tho, that those aren't really the folks who Traxxas had in mind for this car. It's true, out of the box the springs are too soft for road racing, and too stiff for off-road. The tires are too grippy for drifting, but not grippy enough for fast road or offroad running. (These are simple bolt-on tuning tweeks, however). The high COG exaggerates suspension tuning and driver's inputs, so in a sense the Rally is a car-tuning classroom on wheels for new-to-RC folks. Sure is fun for me.
    Last edited by prototyp; 04-15-2011 at 11:49 AM.
    The prototype project.

RC Enthusiast
    Well, if you can dig it, then sure its a handy RC. I'll admit i've never had one take more abuse with out breaking a single part then the rally, and it IS capable of riding in wet terrain, which is fairly unique. Its draw backs, for me, just dont justify it. That, and the fact that it uses a unique sizing for its parts quite honestly ****es me off. My expectations are pretty high in what i want out of my RC, as you mentioned i've got 3, each specifically built for its style, being race, rally and drift. The rally just doesnt even graze what the 10th scales can do, its portions are too awkward, and for some reason they left open some very vital parts (like the drive line and servo horns).

Frankly, i've had better results from any of my 10th scales. Even my Rally, which is a Tamiya (i hate tamiya btw) DF03-RA, is a better "all rounder" for a similar price, ontop of having a fully sealed chassis and more options. For drifting, my Sprint2 was RTR for only 200$. We wont talk about my racer, its a special case =) but still extremely good at what it does.
    Last edited by ChaosShadow00x; 04-15-2011 at 12:55 PM.

RC Champion
    Actually, I like the platform, I do think it could use stiffer springs (especially now that I have a 1/10 Velineon system in mine ) but I do enjoy the little car.

I didn't buy my Fiesta because it was going to be particularly fast, be an awesome drifter, or a motocross jump machine either, I bought it because it would fit nicely in much tighter quarters than a larger car in a similar scale could, had the possibility of fitting a VXL3s System in it, used normal sized TC wheels and tires (no matter what Jang claims in his video ), and figured I could use some of the stuff I've done for tuning on my "1/10" E-Revo (there's that "funny" R/C Math again" ) on this platform too, and it would be better suited for some of the rougher parking lots around here than my all graphite Electric 4-Tec (also with a VXL3s now ) and my Tamiya M-03 Mini Cooper (packing a Mamba Sidewinder and 4600kV motor ) are.

I am waiting on the stiffer springs to come off back order, I would also like to tinker with the diff and shock oils, as well as camber and toe eventually too, but I'm enjoying the little car too much as it is. Dad wants one now too and it would be his first R/C anything!
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Champion
    Just get a cheap gyro it makes drifting easy.