RC Enthusiast

Building 4x4 from ground up project

Just got into the RC scene and have raced my 2WD Slash a couple times and am absolutely loving it! This week I decided that it would be a blast to try building a 4x4 Slash essentially from the ground up (and gain lots of experience/insight of my car). So...I ordered THIS chassis to get me started...

I've started coming up with a parts list and was just curious if anyone had any insights to parts, processes, how-to's, done this before and had advice, etc.

RPM Front & Rear A-Arms
    RPM Front Bumper & Skidplate
    RPM Front & Rear Shock Tower
    RPM Adjustable Height Body Mounts
    RPM Rear Bumper
    RPM Quick Adjust Spring Clips

Traxxas Big Bore Shocks
    Traxxas Slash Stainless Steel Screw Kit
    Traxxas Camber Links
    Traxxas Sway Bars

ST Racing Concepts Aluminum C-Hubs
    ST Racing Concepts Aluminum Rear Hub Carriers
    ST Racing Concepts Aluminum Front Steering Knuckles

Brushless motor/ESC combo of some kind (haven't decided yet).

Thanks in advance!

RC Qualifier
    Sounds like a fun build! Out of all my rigs, the S4x4 is by far the most fun and easiest to work on. The engineering behind how the whole kit fits together is great! I mean you can get the whole rearend off and out with a total of 6 screws! I'd look into a set of 1/8 buggy shocks or pro-line powerstrokes. Not totally happy with my big bores. Although my rig is a bit heavier than most with the MMM/2650/5s in it. I would pick up the King Head motor mount with the big bearing also.

Keep us posted on the build!
    MERV/MMP/1112 1y/4s
    Slash 4x4/MMM/2650/4s/5s

RC Champion
    Another good motor and esc choice is the CC sct 2400kv setup. Run 4s all day and is awesome! Look into the MIP x duty drive shaft's also.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Enthusiast
    Go with this Golden Horizons Motor Mount same size bearing as the King Head, but you have colors to choose from and best of all, priced better.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

RC Enthusiast
    I wouldn't go with SS screws. They are not as hard as the black oxide ones. I know this from personal experience.
    Slash 4x4 RTR

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all your suggestions! I've gotten some great deals on here and other RC forums from some guys, and my wife just told me this morning I could buy the remaining parts I needed, so I've ebayed everything else and think I'm good to go. I changed my initial purchased to mainly stock to save money.

Would anyone be willing to take a look at what I've gotten and tell me if I'm missing anything?

Here is the chassis I purchased (with differentials).

Front/Rear Bumper & Skidplate
    Caster Block Set
    Rear Hub Carriers
    Servo
    Front/Rear A-Arm Set
    Big Bore Shocks
    Wheels/Tires/all that goes with it
    Front/Rear Shock Towers & Body Mounts
    Motor/ESC (CC Sidewinder SCT)
    Traxxas 2.4GHz Link Receiver
    Front/Rear Camber Link Set
    Swaybar Kit
    Traxxas Screw Kit (stock screw kit based off of raven2510's recommendation)

I think that's everything??? One thing I'm not sure about is the Spur/Pinion gear. Is this included in the differentials I purchased with the chassis?

this is my first big project like this and don't know exactly where everything is.

Thanks in advance!
    -Jason

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jdboothman View Post
    Thanks for all your suggestions! I've gotten some great deals on here and other RC forums from some guys, and my wife just told me this morning I could buy the remaining parts I needed, so I've ebayed everything else and think I'm good to go. I changed my initial purchased to mainly stock to save money.

Would anyone be willing to take a look at what I've gotten and tell me if I'm missing anything?

Here is the chassis I purchased (with differentials).

Front/Rear Bumper & Skidplate
    Caster Block Set
    Rear Hub Carriers
    Servo
    Front/Rear A-Arm Set
    Big Bore Shocks
    Wheels/Tires/all that goes with it
    Front/Rear Shock Towers & Body Mounts
    Motor/ESC (CC Sidewinder SCT)
    Traxxas 2.4GHz Link Receiver
    Front/Rear Camber Link Set
    Swaybar Kit
    Traxxas Screw Kit (stock screw kit based off of raven2510's recommendation)

I think that's everything??? One thing I'm not sure about is the Spur/Pinion gear. Is this included in the differentials I purchased with the chassis?

this is my first big project like this and don't know exactly where everything is.

Thanks in advance!
    -Jason
    Looks good to me. That's a good chassis kit you found on ebay. As you are building it up you may find a spot or two where you need little things... a clip, a body spacer, grease... these are easily acquired at local shops. I could compare parts lists for hours to be sure, but the only thing that comes to mind is bearings. Do you have bearings for the front and rear hubs?

Hey, you didn't include my driveshaft list though

Just got back: Your order is shipped.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Enthusiast

RC poster
    I would've went with Rpm parts. That would've been an indestructible slash 4x4, and on top of that, you would've had rpm's great warranty!

RC Enthusiast
    Oh that's right, the front/rear driveshafts and stuff too! My thinking was I could take it with me to our track races every week and work on putting it together there. That way if I did miss something here or there I can walk right over to the hobby shop in the building and buy it on the spot...and get help working on it

I planned on getting mainly RPM, but it was quite a bit cheaper to go stock. I purchased a lot of stuff off of SirSlash4x4 and found quite a bit of other real good deals on either like new or new stock items. I did this just so I could get all the parts and get it running quicker. Once parts start breaking, I'll definitely replace them with RPM, and a few with aluminum.