Thread: A few ?

RC poster

A few ?

Hey i am new to this hobby and i was wondering what you think about the summit like what model is better, also do you think it would be a okay starter car for my 13 year old son who doesn't have that much experience with fast rc cars.

RC poster
    also this car is for me two use too.

RC Qualifier
    use rubber bands and training mode and low range for a beginner. Put the rubber bands on the remote so he can't use full throttle...
    Summit is an excellent truck.

RC Enthusiast
    The Summit can take a little beating, and parts are available everywhere, so I'd say it's a really good choice!
    Put it in training mode for your son, or use the rubber band trick like GusinCA said (make sure he doesn't take them off until has can drive a little bit).
    I'm sure he will find it a really cool truck, and for yourself as well, the Summit is capable of some bashing, and in low gear I regularly pull an FG Monster Beetle :P

RC Racer
    My five year old son is driving mine (supervised of course!). He's popped a few wheelies and flipped it, but he loves it and I think I could leave him be after he gets more confortable with handling it. And he loves helping me work on it. This is my first hobby grade RC car. It's perfect since it's on the slower side but still packs a punch.

I had a decent size audience of kids when I ran my Summit at the park. Most of them asked their parents if they can get one... and then I tell the where they can find one and how much it costs. :-). Still, a great conversation starter. I think it's great for kids as long as they know how NOT to crash it, especially in to people. 15lbs hurled at 20mph will hurt!

RC Racer
    The summit really only comes in one model. There used to be a 27mhz model, but now they are all 2.4ghz. You definitely want one of the ones with a newer 2.4ghz radio.

Unless you are considering the mini summit, which have their own forum on this site, but we can talk about those too if you are considering a smaller one.

I love my Summit, and would highly recommend it. The only caution I would give if you are new to the hobby is that the Summit has a lot of moving parts, and is more complicated to work on than some other trucks. If you are pretty good with this kind of stuff, definitely get the Summit! In training mode, which cuts the throttle back 50%, it's appropriate for kids, as long as you trust them, show them how it works, and are supervising them.

This is a great place to ask questions, there are a lot of people on here with great ideas that are willing to help.

Just remember, the most important thing is to HAVE FUN!
    I gots trucks and no idea what I'm doing!

RC poster
    Thanks guys this really helps and i am definitely going to get the summit. i you have anymore comments please tell me all will help.

RC Racer
    I have had my Summit for almost 2yrs with no issues. I love my Summit. It has been the strongest rc i have ever owned.

It is also the most versitile. You can run them in any conditions. They are water proof so it doesn't matter if you or your son run it through a puddle or into the the lake.

RC Qualifier
    I love mine, and I think that it is a good car to begin with. Its large size makes it more controllable, in my opinion
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    i'm new at it also. my first real RC. its perfect-just fast enough not to get me in trouble. lots of ground clearance for running in the yard/grass/landscaping. plus the thing is BIG! none of that"oh no-my rc is to small to drive on/over that". i could never see a 1/16 scale doing anything like my 1/10 does. my only suggestion would be a good battery charger.