RC poster

Questions on Dewalt swap

I know repeat post, but I HAVE searched, and have two questions that I can't find the answer.

For installing a Dewalt motor why the three capacitors? I have a 2.4ghz set and believe that I wont have the same interference as older units.

I have a working 14.4V drill sitting in my garage with no good batteries. Several years of charges killed them. Why do people recommend buying two new brushes with a new motor. Don't they come with them? And won't my drill have everything I need?

And last; for a pinion gear, the Traxxas brand won't work???

Thanks folks

RC Qualifier
    I don’t have any capacitors on my Dewalt summit, it is 2.4 and i have zero problems, they recommend 2 new brushes so you will have spare ones, and will most likely save on shipping by ordering extra when you buy motor, I however did not order extra what i bought my 12v been running it 6 months plus with no problems and i am very ruff on rc's yes the Traxxas gear will work, at least on the 12v i have the stock pinion that came on my Summit installed on my Dewalt motor...
    Last edited by blue_uscg; 04-06-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC poster
    Thanks very much. One new question; here are what I've found for Dewalt motor part numbers. As best I can tell I have the bottom drill motor. It's useless now so I am going to take it apart for a look, unless someone know that it is not compatible... Thanks

Dewalt part numbers
    579724-03 = replacement for 396505-20 = 12v motor
    579724-04 = replacement for 396505-21 = 14.4v motor
    579724-05 = replacement for 396505-20 = 18v motor

My Motor and Pinion
    Part Number: 397156-01 14.4V http://www.ereplacementparts.com/mot...n-p-70114.html
    Last edited by robhayward; 04-06-2011 at 02:23 PM.

RC poster
    hi there im just about to do much the same. ive been waiting on a brushless system for ages but want to use my truck now!!!

i sold my titans straight away, with the plan to sell speedo too. now plan to keep speedo but do the dewalt route.

Im gonna use a 16v old drill motor tomorrow as i have two old drills in garage (have two revo's ones mine ones my dads) but plan to get to get two dewalt motors asap.

please can anyone give me the part code to the 14v motor in the uk, sorry to hi-jack the thread but once i get the motors il prob be asking the same questions, i plan to also use the stock pinion (unless someone advise's against it)

PS im in the uk, any links to uk suppliers would be great.

RC poster
    I read before hand that the dewalt motors are 5mm output shafts. It was a common part to find, I did the same 19tooth as stock. There was a thread about the euro part numbers on here but I didn't search it out for you.

It turns out my different part number motor is relatively close in operation but my brushes are not replaceable. It's all enclosed.

For anyone thinking about doing this, just get all the stuff together and to it. I don't care so much about top end speed but the torque this has now is awesome. I never had my slipper clutch spin on the twin 550s and right away I had to adjust it with a single 14.4v dewalt. I could gear up and gain some speed but that's not for me, it runs fast enough to balloon the stock tires.