RC Enthusiast

Do these cars handle better with two batteries (extra weight)

I have a new Ford 302 and I was wondering what you guys think about carrying an extra battery for 'ballast'. Does the weight help with handling and traction on smooth asphalt? Or, is it just drag on the acceleration curve...
    Stampede 4X4 - 1/16 Summit VXL - Mustang 302

RC Racer
    Thats the only way I have driven mine it makes it easier to switch batts and the guy I talked to at the lhs recomended running to batts to help even out the waight
    Stampede VXL upgraded broken stuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    It says right in the manual the car has been designed to run only one pack in the left side I believe... from my experience (that the experience of many others also) it does handle better with only one pack when your drifting... it seems to handle more consistently left and right with just one pack.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    With everything stock the car us balanced for one battery pack on the left side like pave said. I like the added weight for handling you get with a second battery but it does negatively effect the balance.

Now with a big block I think the car balances better with two batteries. And batteries ride low on the chassis so extra weight from batteries does lower your center of gravity.
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Qualifier
    My expierence so far with the boss 302 is that it drives much better with 2 packs in it. I belive it may handle better with one pack if i adjust the suspension. I onestly feel like it is more balaced with the 2 despite what the manual says
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Enthusiast
    2 is better.

Driving is not a leisure time activity.
    Driving is not a leisure time activity.

RC Enthusiast
    2 is much better, grab the parallel adapter and you get extra run time and a better balanced car.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_jarvis View Post
    2 is much better, grab the parallel adapter and you get extra run time and a better balanced car.
    The added weight is nice but unless you are running a big block the car is not better balanced with 2 batteries. It says this in the manual and you can see it by just looking at the car.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post
    The added weight is nice but unless you are running a big block the car is not better balanced with 2 batteries. It says this in the manual and you can see it by just looking at the car.
    I totally disagree. On one batt, mine just slides turning at full speed, where on two it sticks well and with a flick will drift and pull out of drift when you're ready.

RC Qualifier
    I totally disagree. On one batt, mine just slides turning at full speed, where on two it sticks well and with a flick will drift and pull out of drift when you're ready.
    Well then you are benefiting from the weight, not improved balance. Totally stock and with no batteries the car is heavier on the right side, the idea was that running 1 battery (on the left) would keep the car balanced.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cold View Post
    Well then you are benefiting from the weight, not improved balance. Totally stock and with no batteries the car is heavier on the right side, the idea was that running 1 battery (on the left) would keep the car balanced.
    Maybe, I just know it's a much better drive with 2. I was actually thinking about sticking some lead to the chassis to keep it on the ground when running 2 in series and the speed gear. I've had some spectacular cartwheel crashes including one that snapped the car clean in half.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe, I just know it's a much better drive with 2. I was actually thinking about sticking some lead to the chassis to keep it on the ground when running 2 in series and the speed gear. I've had some spectacular cartwheel crashes including one that snapped the car clean in half.
    I have heard of people adding small weights front and center to keep the front down on speed runs.

And yeah I like how my car handled stock with 2 batteries too, but it's not just weight not balance.

RC Qualifier
    Adding weight isn't nearly as good an approach as managing airflow for downforce. A splitter and floor will go a long way to helping keep the car on the ground without adding mass that kills your handling. Put your hand out a car window at 25, 35 mph, there's plenty of force there to keep a little RC car glued.

I can't stand to run my Rally without them now.
    The prototype project.

RC Qualifier
    What is that?
    Are the tires supposta to blow off going into 2nd?

RC Qualifier
    Mine? Rally on 4tec with hand-made aero underpants.
    The prototype project.

RC Qualifier
    Thats a really good idea, how did you make them? What are thye constructed out of? Can you post some better pics please?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks... I've been working on it for a couple months now, trying out various materials, tuning details of the design, working out mounting systems, etc... pretty close now.

Goals were to make it 'bolt on': require no chassis modification, no body modification, and use standard/original hardware. The parts can't impede the function of any chassis systems (steering, suspension, etc). Also they had to be able to 'break away' safely without damaging the chassis if it got crashed into something (obviously the splitter protrudes out in front of the bumper).

I've been running various plastic sheets as well as weights and stiffnesses of cardboard to get a good gauge on the balance of stiffness and flexibility... I'm working on a possible production material lead now. Fingers crossed it works out, then hopefully I can turn it into a package kit... More soon.
    The prototype project.

RC Qualifier
    Keep us posted, it looks really good.