RC poster

Melted E-Revo Battery

One of the 8.4v powercell 3000mah batteries on my e revo melted when I was running it today. I am was wondering if anybody would know why this would happen. The plastic wrap around the battery pack melted only around one cell. Thank you in advance for your help.

RC Champion
    The pack probably just got too hot.

I'm pretty sure that you can just use electrical tape to wrap around the cell to keep it safe.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC poster
    Thank you for the response

RC Qualifier
    lol, i posted the same thing and peeps here told me it was unsafe to charge and use a stick that had a bad cell in it!

RC poster
    It looks like the cell that got hot expanded or something because the pack now has a small bend to it.

RC Racer
    Time for a new pack. While it is possible to limp by on the damaged one, ITS NOT WORTH IT. Could get hot again and melt your battery compartment (expensive fix) or catch your home on fire (even more expensive). Just dispose of it and get a new one, it'll save some major headaches.

RC poster
    Thanks, do you know if there is anything I can do to prevent that from happening again?

RC Racer
    There are a few preventative techniques. But was most likely a manufacturers defect in that cell. Wasn't a new pack you bought recently was it? (hint hint warranty)

Charging speed has the most effect on a battery. For larger packs, such as 3500+ mah, it OK to charge at 5 A. But with smaller packs, such as <3500, the extra amps can damage them by creating too much heat. The best method is to trickle charge until full, but that takes forever. When I'm done for the day I'll set my Onyx 240 to charge at .8 A and call it a night. Then they are ready the next time I am.

Anyway you look at it. Even high end battery packs loose their full potential over time. A year seems to be the rule of thumb for average users before it becomes too noticeable in decreased run time/punch.

If you are running hard, its best not to charge/run/charge/run/etc. continuously. The batteries, motors, and ESC need to cool off. Next to major crashes, heat is the cause of many RC enthusiasts biggest problems.

RC Qualifier
    Well for one, I don't see how every one fails to mention that OVERGEARING can cause a battery to drain too quickly., thus making it get hot. And with my experience, now im not suggesting you do this, but I melted the shrink wrap off mine last summer and it is still working fine. And hasn't even burned my house down yet. I think some people get scared with batteries. But really, how many times has your cell phone or flash light blown up? Sure they can be dangerous if mid used. But the same goes with dynamite.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I have the stock gearing on my E-Revo, and the batteries came with the E-Revo, which I purchased August 2010. The only thing I have done to it is put 17mm adapters and larger wheels on, could the bigger wheels draw more power, causing the batteries to become hotter quicker?
    Also, I have 2 sets of batteries, so I don't use the same pair of batteries every day, so they can cool, then I charge them on the Traxxas Power Cell charger overnight.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    One of the 8.4v powercell 3000mah batteries on my e revo melted when I was running it today. I am was wondering if anybody would know why this would happen. The plastic wrap around the battery pack melted only around one cell. Thank you in advance for your help.
    A battery used for 3/4 of a year, intensively I guess :-) It gets hot and melts the plastic.. things happen, its not so bad... you havent done anything wrong and hard to prevent as batteries tend to get hot... if you run the stock gearing then you have not overgeared I guess, and Traxxas sells the truck like that... remember how much usage you have had with that battery and say to yourself... well let me get 2 new ones with more mah or lipos and peace with the old cell :-)
    Slightly Addicted