Thread: Life batteries

RC Champion

Question Life batteries

Hello, I just had a question about life batteries. I was wondering if they are a good product and what advantages they have over a lipo in safety, power, and duration. Is there anything I should know about them? Who makes some inexpensive ones? Thanks

RC Qualifier
    I'm really wanting to try some.

Bad news is, though, that's a third party product, you'll hafta go elsewhere for information/product support on those.

RC Enthusiast
    They run at a lower voltage, I have one, run it in my 2wd. A beast really, they are just making a "green" battery. It does require extra setup, so its the only reason I don't run it on my 4x4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BarneyStinson View Post
    They run at a lower voltage, I have one, run it in my 2wd. A beast really, they are just making a "green" battery. It does require extra setup, so its the only reason I don't run it on my 4x4
    +1 great name!

RC Champion
    What extra setup is there

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dgudenau View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgudenau View Post
    To my understanding, (mine was already set up on the 2wd) because of the lower voltage in the life battery th esc doesn't read it correctly and takes a fully charged life battery and sees a dead lip. I put it in my 4x4 and the motor cuts off. I put it in the 2wd, the thing flies. I'm pretty new to all this, but I like to research. When I saw that I was really confused. Didn't feel like messing w ny 4x4 so I just run the regular lipo.

I'm sure with a little reading its a coyote button mashes on the esc to get it going, but I'm happy just bashing and reading for now
    Oh and thanks for the +1 slash

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I think if you run the 4x4 with the cut-off turned off you'd be O.K. I wonder why no one uses 9.9 life packs? It seems like that would be the perfect voltage with a brushless set-up. Not full-on crazy like a 11.1, but a little more punch than a 2s lipo.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Enthusiast
    Didn't think of that. How much do the 9.9s go for normally?

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    On one end of the spectrum, (insert cheap Chinese company) has 4500mah 9.9v 30c packs for $26. Their shipping is $25 to the US, but their quality can be sketchy. Venom has a 2600mah 30c 9.9v life pack for 50 bucks, and on the other end MaxAmps has a 4500mah 60c 9.9v life pack for $175!
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    So what is a good life battery with good power and duration but within a good price

RC Enthusiast
    Imo. Venom is solid for the price.

RC Qualifier
    I'm going to chip in here even though this thread is a few days old. I now have 9 ******* 4500mah 9.9v LiFe packs that were referred to and its a love/hate with them. As MAXXXMASHER said, it is a great middle ground between 2s and 3s lipo voltages BUT... only 1, yes 1, of those 9 batteries I have gotten is still perfectly flat. I dont even have 2 of them anymore because they puffed so bad, just from storage and normal running. And now 6 more are well on their way to getting to the point of not using. I've dropped alot of money into these batts and I'm not impressed. They do perform very well, but dont last long at all.
    2x 2wd Slash|Slash 4x4 PE|MM E-Revo|Grave Digger

RC Qualifier
    Good to know, thank you for the update.

RC Enthusiast
    I got the LiFe running in my 4x4. Sluggish. Still running solid in the 2wd