RC Enthusiast

Mamba Max or Velineon?

After blowing my second titan 550 in two weeks I decided I have had it and want to go brushless! I have the 2wd xl-5 2.4ghz slash. Which is better? Is Mamba really worth the extra $$ I do not race I use it for bashing and jumping only, it is used very hard. I want something that will last mostly, speed is second but always welcome.

RC Qualifier
    Castle creations sidewinder sct 3800kv
    KNEE INJURIES HURT !!!

RC Champion
    The velineon has tons of torque and is super powerful...that on a 6000mah 3s lipo hauls butt! I recomend the velineon over the mamba
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Champion
    Mamba Max is not waterproof, remember.

RC Qualifier
    Yes the MM is not waterproof but that is the only downfall. The MM system is more robust and will last longer, also you can program it to your specific requirements. The cm 36 motors are not as powerful (barely noticeable) but they are way more robust. I would get, depending on you budget a CC mmp 3800 or just get the mm and 3800 motor. And to back it all up CC has great customer support. IMO CC makes better systems. I've gone through 2 VXL 3s esc's. The velineon motor would be my second choice next to CC.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by E-RevoVXL View Post
    Mamba Max is not waterproof, remember.
    This is the best point! Nothing against Mamba or any others but Velineon IS waterproof! I had the same issue burning through titans quickly. Switched to the Velineon system, going on 2 years with it and no problems. I don't race either, just bash and it's worked great for me!
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC Enthusiast
    Didn't even think about the waterproof fact! It will def be hitting some water! In the woods behind my house we have a track set up with a jump over a little creek! Guess I have no choice gonna have to go velineon!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ssobel80 View Post
    Didn't even think about the waterproof fact! It will def be hitting some water! In the woods behind my house we have a track set up with a jump over a little creek! Guess I have no choice gonna have to go velineon!
    its definately worth it...really powerful motor and if you ever want to do a race or two at a track the velineon is the right specifications for it
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC poster
    i post the same thing and i was told velineon

RC Enthusiast
    I put in a CC Sidewinder SCT system! Way more than the Velineon and you can find it under $100 where the Traxxas is $150! Traxxas system is good though, wouldn't be disappointed if you got it!!!!
    Slash 2wd highly modified

RC Enthusiast
    As far as the castle not being waterproof, that can be fixed. just look up any of the scale crawler folks and they can give you plenty of help waterproofing any ESC. That bein said if your bashing then you probly dont need the "robustness" of the castle ESC. Most of the programming is geared towards making it handle on a track. Most bashers are balls to the wall so you probly wont even use the programming. I think for your purposes you could go either way and be fine but if you plan on racing at some point Id go with the castle.

RC Competitor
    as much as i love all my cc escs, i would reccomend the velineon system for what you are going to do. its a great system for the price, it can run sensored, sensorless and brushed motors.
    Moving into the future since the last century.

RC Enthusiast
    i also had the same problem... i bought the 2wd slash xl5 with the titan 550, and that was to weeks ago and i already burned up the motor so i went to the hobby shop and the guy said try a monster titan 550... i installed it tonight, so im going to see how she runs. the guys said it is a much better motor, if it goes out i will save up to buy the velineon system, but with that being said would i have to upgrade my bell cranks, and my drive shafts with the torque deference and overall top speed?

RC Enthusiast
    Well I made my decision!! Velineon is in the mail!! Can't wait! Thanks for all the input!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ssobel80 View Post
    After blowing my second titan 550 in two weeks I decided I have had it and want to go brushless! I do not race I use it for bashing and jumping only, it is used very hard. I want something that will last mostly, speed is second but always welcome.
    Out of pure curiosity, where do you bash (what type of surface), how often (how long is your average run), basically what defines using it very hard? I have had my stock 550 for over 1 year and I drive mine around pretty regularly.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dirttraxx View Post
    Out of pure curiosity, where do you bash (what type of surface), how often (how long is your average run), basically what defines using it very hard? I have had my stock 550 for over 1 year and I drive mine around pretty regularly.

When I say drive it hard I mean it is driven through mud, water, a lot of full throttle craziness!! Jumping it as high and far as possible, you know, have some fun with it!!

And as far as having a titan 550 that lasts over a year! You must be the luckiest person alive, nobody has ever had a titan last that long and drive it on a regular basis!

at least not that I know of