Thread: 3s lipos

RC Competitor

3s lipos

does anyone run 3s with there rally? Would I need to change gearing for 3s or just watch the temps? I don't want to burn the speed control up.

RC Qualifier
    I've been using 3s since I got mine in november and its awesome. I havent changed anything and the motor/esc is still running great. I havent broken anything on the drivetrain and i've been really hard on it, you should see the body I did not change the gearing, just left it completely stock.
    Are the tires supposta to blow off going into 2nd?

RC Enthusiast
    I am also using 11,1V 3s lipos in parallel, since December 2010, without changing the gearing. Ok, I get some high temperatures after a while but no problems so far. To tell you the truth I was a bit worried also about the high temps, so that's why I just recently installed a fan on top of both the ESC and the motor. Let's hope I will reduce the risk this way.

RC Competitor
    3s is a lot of fun, but for me, its more about the straight line speed. I've had mine since october or november. At first I only had 3s 850mah from a heli, and used 3s for a long time until I got some 2s. 3s is harder to control and results in more broken parts becuase of curbs. I prefer 2 s.

That being said, I ran mine on 3 s for about 5 min. temps, in the dry summer, easily went into 180 F, which as i understand it, is not great. I geared down, which reduced speed and temps.

Currently,I will switch between 2s and 3s with the straight stock gearing. It got annoying changing the pinion and wasn't THAT important (in my personal experience- and not running 3s beyond 5 min).

RC Competitor
    the extra pinion that comes with the Rally allows you to gear UP, which allows you to go faster (trade off is motor and esc temps will go up too). I didn't burn up any of my gear doing it.

In my opinion, i think the people who are burning up their ESCs are doing so because the ESC they received is faulty. 3s should be no problem. There are people claiming to run 4s, in the forums here, I think with minimal problems. I think they put their ESC in NIMH mode to do so.

For me, 3s is plenty fast, and 3s geared up is ridiculously fast. 4s, for me, is uncalled for!

RC Qualifier
    Could someone tell me what spur/pinion comes on the rally? And what size extra comes with it? I concerted a merv to a rally and using 28/45 gearing I hit 41 mph with it on 3s, and my esc didn't go over 100 degrees, but I have a fan on it. The motor hit about 160 and that's with a heat sink on it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the replies, another question do any of you running lipos use a lipo bag to store and charge your batteries or is it not worth it?

RC Qualifier
    I dont but i probably should, though my charging systems is in the bottom drawer of my metal toolbox so its not like anything could catch fire.
    Are the tires supposta to blow off going into 2nd?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigken View Post
    the extra pinion that comes with the Rally allows you to gear UP, which allows you to go faster (trade off is motor and esc temps will go up too). I didn't burn up any of my gear doing it.

In my opinion, i think the people who are burning up their ESCs are doing so because the ESC they received is faulty. 3s should be no problem. There are people claiming to run 4s, in the forums here, I think with minimal problems. I think they put their ESC in NIMH mode to do so.

For me, 3s is plenty fast, and 3s geared up is ridiculously fast. 4s, for me, is uncalled for!
    4s would be horrible with the stock tires your right. For me I have been running my Mini Revo for over a year on 4s in Nimh mode with a seperate LVC. Only issue I have is hitting the rev limiter.
    Also I run X-Patterns on my Mini and it is set up for the street.
    Funny thing is temps stay the same for me 3s or 4s, I do use additional cooling though.
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

RC Competitor
    Ran 3s lipos today on my summit and my rally, insane! I could never get to top speed with my rally before losing control. I need smoother area and no curbs. Like I said no curbs, about my fifth pass trying to fly I lost control jumped the curb, caught about 4 feet of air and cartwheeled for about 15 feet. Ended up only thing broken was a pivot ball cap and my local hobby store doesn't have any, so I will be down for a couple of days on my rally. Did I mention it was crazy fast!!! I love these little things.

RC poster
    I run dual 3S packs in parallel (DO NOT run in series). with the bigger pinion and just keep an eye on temps.

RC poster
    i heard that traxxas is going to release their own lipo's called t-max or something