RC Qualifier

Exclamation Tekin or Xerun (brushless)

I am thinking about upgrading to brushless. I probably won't get the Castle Creations system because it is not sensored, which brings me to choosing between these two systems.

http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Art...?ArticleID=457 (ESC)
    http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Art...?ArticleID=465 (Motor)
    (I would get the 2000kv motor)

This is a sensored Xerun system from Hobbywing. It looks pretty good quality, but I haven't heard much about it.

http://www.teamtekin.com/pm_monstertruck.html
    Tekin rx8. I have heard that it is good quality, and has about the same amount of power as a castle creations system. Though, it is more expensive.

the tekin system is $320 ($270 with tower hobbies discount)
    the xerun is $230 (no discount )

Do you think that the extra cost of the tekin is worth it?
    Also, how do you think they will hold up to 4s lipo (that is what I plan to Run)?

Thanks, Zane
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    i can tell you this...

i have been running the hobbywing 80A xerun w/ 2250kv motor in my e-maxx and it has been awesome. i have never had any issues with this combo. and it's MUCH cheaper than a tekin combo...

RC Qualifier
    also, you can get the xerun combo from hobbypartz for $199.

RC Qualifier
    have you been running the sensored version? becuase it is more expensive
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    for the 40 bucks different id say tekin---i run one and its great---i say it will smoke a mmm in a drag race and has more torque
    ???Why so serious???
    JOKER TV

RC Qualifier
    okay. tekin has been proven good quality, and the sensor keeps it from cogging like unsensored motors
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    to burned up- what car is it in?
    what kv is it?
    and what battery do you run?
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    i like the tekin myself. i'm running the 2000kv truggy motor with stock (14/68 i think) gearing in my summit and it does great, and this is running the stock 3000mah nimh batteries. I also have a few higher mah nimh batteries and I love it. was thinking about going lipo but the nimh are doing fine so I'm going to use them till they die and then maybe go lipo. but this is just my 2 cents. hope this helps some.
    summit w/ self waterproofed Tekin RX8/T8 2000kv

RC Qualifier
    I have a Tekin 1900kv and it works great,but any sensored motor you can afford will work great in a Summit.The smaller buggy motor 71mm X 42mm still has way more power than I need but I am geared down to 28 MPH in top gear and it crawls very slow and steady.
    Last edited by Igore; 04-02-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Tekin all the way. Both systems are good , but if the hobbywing system goes bad - there are a lot of issues with attempting to get a response from the company, and then shipping back to China?

My Tekin I brought USED - way out of warranty - after a year the rotor came loose and they still replaced it FREE OF CHARGE with their new style rotor

1) great (and local) customer service

2) plus you do not need the computer (programmer) to change the settings on the tekin - the settings can be changed via the buttons and detailed lights right on the esc.

3) used parts and replacements are easier to come by (there are litterally no used motors or replacement parts for the Hobbywing floating around on ebay like there is for the Tekin - or at least rarely) Tekin is plentiful

4) if push comes to shove (motor goes bad) tekin can run a brushed motor untill you are back on your feet (hobbywing cant run brushed motors -company had that option removed )

5) much support on the Tekin forums/ boards - where is the hobbywing forum? do they have one?

6) Loooong history of racing, durability , power handling, upgrades, motor compatibility - one of, if not the most popular buggy/truggy/truck racing systems - battle tested for years (check your local track).
    Last edited by noir 522; 04-02-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by zanek View Post
    to burned up- what car is it in?
    what kv is it?
    and what battery do you run?
    i have a summit...1700 kv truggy...swamp kongs....3s for crawling...6s for flying without wings...take a look at JOKER TV
    ???Why so serious???
    JOKER TV

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Burned Up View Post
    for the 40 bucks different id say tekin---i run one and its great---i say it will smoke a mmm in a drag race and has more torque
    You are so wrong. A MMM will eat you tekin. I dont care if you have both. MMM will destroy the tekin in a drag race.

You want brushless then my a rusty. Brushless has no place in a summit.
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dlg636 View Post
    i like the tekin myself. i'm running the 2000kv truggy motor with stock (14/68 i think) gearing in my summit and it does great, and this is running the stock 3000mah nimh batteries. I also have a few higher mah nimh batteries and I love it. was thinking about going lipo but the nimh are doing fine so I'm going to use them till they die and then maybe go lipo. but this is just my 2 cents. hope this helps some.
    Okay. thanks. I was looking at getting the 2000kv. How does your drivetrain hold up to all the extra power? I have heard that the stock motor was measured to be about 1300kv, and jumping from that to 2000kv is a big speed difference. Also, (sorry about all of the questions), have you measured your speed/ do you have a speed estimate?

Thanks
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Tekin all the way. Both systems are good , but if the hobbywing system goes bad - there are a lot of issues with attempting to get a response from the company, and then shipping back to China?

My Tekin I brought USED - way out of warranty - after a year the rotor came loose and they still replaced it FREE OF CHARGE with their new style rotor

1) great (and local) customer service

2) plus you do not need the computer (programmer) to change the settings on the tekin - the settings can be changed via the buttons and detailed lights right on the esc.

3) used parts and replacements are easier to come by (there are litterally no used motors or replacement parts for the Hobbywing floating around on ebay like there is for the Tekin - or at least rarely) Tekin is plentiful

4) if push comes to shove (motor goes bad) tekin can run a brushed motor untill you are back on your feet (hobbywing cant run brushed motors -company had that option removed )

5) much support on the Tekin forums/ boards - where is the hobbywing forum? do they have one?

6) Loooong history of racing, durability , power handling, upgrades, motor compatibility - one of, if not the most popular buggy/truggy/truck racing systems - battle tested for years (check your local track).
    Yeah. I read some posts on other forums that the plane people have posted. They say good things about hobbywing, but it doesn't have good customer service. And I like the brushed motor options. Also, the programability from the computer looks good. I am thinking that I will have to tone the throttle curve down a bit to save my clutch/ drive train. Now, with the stock batts and brushed motor, the clutch SCREAMS!!! under hard acceleration, so I tightened it a quarter turn. The a driveshaft broke. So I put it back to where it was, and got MIP driveshafts. On my first rock crawling run with the MIP shafts, i shattered the little thing that goes on the diff output into 3 pieces.
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    i have a summit...1700 kv truggy...swamp kongs....3s for crawling...6s for flying without wings...take a look at JOKER TV
    Hey, I didn't relise that you had the Joker summit. I think that it is very cool . How does your drivetrain do with the torque of the 1700kv motor? and how is the drivetrain under 6s power? i have heard that bad things happen when you use 6s on a brushless summit. Just wondering because with my stock electronic system, either my clutch is screaming in agony or my driveshafts are breaking
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxximus Prime View Post
    You are so wrong. A MMM will eat you tekin. I dont care if you have both. MMM will destroy the tekin in a drag race.

You want brushless then my a rusty. Brushless has no place in a summit.
    Calm down. Everyone has their own opinion. I don't know which one is faster.
    Last edited by zanek; 04-02-2011 at 09:44 PM.
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    no prob with the questions, that's how we learn....... well as far as my drivetrain is concerned, I have not had a single drivetrain problem yet. everything is still tight and straight as far as I can tell. as for top speed i've only used this online calculator http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/car_setup.html and it says about 27-30 mph.

RC Qualifier
    I used GPS on the 1900kv Tekin and got 34 MPH on 17/60 which was way too fast for my Trenchers that grew to 10" and the truck became unstable.The gear ratio now is 15/60 which is 28 MPH.As long as your slipper clutch is working good and giving you a foot or two of slippage your drive line should be fine.My stock tires could only go about 22 MPH before they grew large and the truck started to shake and wander.IMO this truck does not take high speeds well with monster truck tires so I am keeping it below 30 MPH where it bashes and crawls great.

RC Qualifier
    i have burnt the clutch over my own negligence....was running in a field with waste high grass in 6s mode....not letting off throttle none instead of running low gear like you should... but live and learn...but i havent had any issues with axles or clutch til then...
    as for tekin vs mmm - i do have both - both ran in summits - i know what has what -

make your own choice --- but i recommend tekin all the way around....
    ???Why so serious???
    JOKER TV

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dlg636 View Post
    no prob with the questions, that's how we learn....... well as far as my drivetrain is concerned, I have not had a single drivetrain problem yet. everything is still tight and straight as far as I can tell. as for top speed i've only used this online calculator http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/car_setup.html and it says about 27-30 mph.
    Sounds fast. Are there any lipos in particular that you are thinking about getting?
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Igore View Post
    I used GPS on the 1900kv Tekin and got 34 MPH on 17/60 which was way too fast for my Trenchers that grew to 10" and the truck became unstable.The gear ratio now is 15/60 which is 28 MPH.As long as your slipper clutch is working good and giving you a foot or two of slippage your drive line should be fine.My stock tires could only go about 22 MPH before they grew large and the truck started to shake and wander.IMO this truck does not take high speeds well with monster truck tires so I am keeping it below 30 MPH where it bashes and crawls great.
    Proline Trenchers? If you don't get them premounted, can you tape them?
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    i have burnt the clutch over my own negligence....was running in a field with waste high grass in 6s mode....not letting off throttle none instead of running low gear like you should... but live and learn...but i havent had any issues with axles or clutch til then...
    as for tekin vs mmm - i do have both - both ran in summits - i know what has what -

make your own choice --- but i recommend tekin all the way around....
    Yeah. I occasionally go to the local track on race days and watch the races. All of the 1/8 buggies and truggies and short course trucks have tekin power. That has to say something about the speed/ reliability of tekin
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote;Proline Trenchers? If you don't get them premounted, can you tape them? Well if you mean to keep water out I plugged the air holes in the Axial narrow beadlocks so they are waterproof.Even if you get them pre mounted you could still plug the holes with JB weld or epoxy,I used very short 4mm set screws and put a coat of black nail polish over them.

RC Qualifier
    What i meant is that if you don't get them premounted, you can put tape around the inside of the tire before mounting it to stop it from balloning
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I never heard of that tell me more.

RC Enthusiast
    no not yet. still trying to learn about lipos and deciede if they are worth it or not for me. i'm getting the power and speed I want and my run times is pretty good for me already, I haven't timed my runs but I usually quit before the batteries do.

RC Qualifier
    @igore

This video explains everything about taping tires http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BO-dfYz4Rw
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    @igore

This video explains everything about taping tires http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BO-dfYz4Rw
    Thanks I will try that for sure,now I have almost 100 screws to remove and re install.Good thing I chucked up a 1.5 in my drill driver.

RC Qualifier
    You have beadlocks for the trencher? which beadlock wheels are you using?
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Axial narrow beadlocks and the taping did not go so well on the Trenchers.When turned inside out they resemble a twisted rubik's cube and not the flat tire in the video.Tried 3 times and spent quite a while removing the left over residue from the duct tape that stuck very well to the tire.What a mess I guess I will stick with plan A and keep my speeds below 30 MPH as a crash at high speeds with this beast might get expensive!The Axial wheels are nice and come in several colors,I got black/black just do not over tighten the screws.

RC Qualifier
    Hmmmm. Okay. I have some of the axial narrow beadlocks with rock crusher tires on them.
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    I would go with the Tekin. more power and better control. might thewant to get some aluminum uprgrades too cuz it has POWER

RC Qualifier
    What parts do you recommend that I upgrade to aluminum?
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by summitracer View Post
    I would go with the Tekin. more power and better control. might thewant to get some aluminum uprgrades too cuz it has POWER
    Aluminum because of extra power? We are just talkin more bent parts instead of broken parts. I would only suggest aluminum for the steering linkage/horns, and maybe the pushrods - but aluminum is not really needed anywhere else. Other good aluminum options are the skid plates and servo guards. Avoid almunum body posts and bumpers - they tend to bend when crashed. RPM parts would be a better option. Anywhere els is just bling - but bling is not always bad.

Last edited by noir 522; 04-06-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    So rpm where possible and aluminum skids and servo guards?
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    Calm down. Everyone has their own opinion. I don't know which one is faster.
    From what I've heard, the Mamba Monster can get a 1/10 or 1/8 scale R/C truck up to 60 MPH and higher. (When running Li-Po batteries and certain gearing).

I don't think that Tekin motors can do that.

So rpm where possible and aluminum skids and servo guards?
    Here's a quote from the MERV forum:

Quote Originally Posted by KILO-DELTA View Post
    I have said it before and stand by "If its going to take direct impact eg A-arm then plastic is the best but if its out of the way and needs to be strong with no flex eg bulkheads for gear mesh then aluminum is best"
    In that case, you are correct.
    Last edited by E-RevoVXL; 04-11-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Qualifier
    I am thinking tekin for speed becuase at our local track, all of the really nice rigs that always win the races have tekin systems. I haven't seen one mamba monster in a 1/8 buggy or truggy.
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    There are rumors that the tekin motors are just the sensored version of the castle neu motors, both are good but my mmm is not even close to as smooth as my brothers tekin in his t4 race truck
    KNEE INJURIES HURT !!!

RC Qualifier
    yeah. i want sensored as i like to rock crawl, and the cogging noise drives me crazy
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4