RC Competitor

e revo will not move, help

hi
    just brought a e revo brushed on ebay, brought as non runner. said he done some jumps and stopped working.
    received it to day and thought i would see whats up.
    standard e revo with evx2 and titan brushed motors
    plugged in the two batteries and turnt on, stearing works fine and there is a green light on on the esc (evx2)
    but i does not move or want to move (no sound from motors) disconected the motors and plugged into a tamiya battery but the motors dont move. i thought doing this should make them work, do i have 2 broken motors or am i doing something wrong, newish to electric been bashing with a t maxx.
    any info would be good

RC Champion
    If motor wont run separately and everything is fine else (the ESC and servos) then you probably have 2 burned Titans..
    they easily burn....
    Slightly Addicted

RC Champion
    dont recall their are any settings on EVC2 that can enable or disable motors.... if a proper separate power source does not make them run.. they are sorry, probably fried.... Titans cant be repaired
    Slightly Addicted

RC Competitor
    just took motors out and tried to turn, locked up then turnt, 1 peice of metal fell out of each motor. looks like they go on the copper terminals that touch the shaft inside the motor, thats prob whats up, he did say he was jumping high, prob dislodged them in side.
    gonna order two motors.
    with the stearing working i guess the evx2 is ok, is that right?

RC Champion
    EVX2 is fine... green light, the right beeps and servos turning... no problem... The Titans fried.... been there quite a few times when I ran brushed Motors...

In the post before this called Hobbywing there is a relative cheap alternative to the Castle Creations more expensive brushless set if you will upgrade to brushless..

If you buy new Titans.. break them in... someone in this forum can tell you how.... then they will last longer :-)
    Slightly Addicted

RC Champion
    Yeah, the motors probably burned out. That is the only explanation.

RC Racer
    yeah same thing happened with me, theyv probably most likely burnt out
    Traxxas and yamaha - cant do anything without them

RC Champion
    :-) Did that 3 times in a row , 6 Titans.... In 2 weeks...thought now way never again... bought a Hobbywing brushless.... took me 1 and a half year to fry the ESC or whatever happened. I have ordered a new ESC now-
    Motor still fine ...
    Slightly Addicted

RC Racer
    Titans cannot be repaired. It's the way they are designed, to be disposable. That little metal tab is very flimsy. Too much heat will soften them up and then simply break off. You'll need new motors. Many options.

There are several ways to break in new motors. Both my Titans got fried simultaneously last fall and Traxxas warrantied them. With the replacements, Traxxas gave my this break in method: Find a big flat open area and run the car at about 3/4 throttle for two complete battery charges (IE run until batteries die, recharge and do again). Try to keep it at same speed all the time.

Another break-in method involves a 9V battery and a glass of water. But something about sticking electricity in water spooks me.

RC Champion
    before you know it you have invested in enough Titans to buy a brushless system, and even if you do take care , once in a while they die... and you miss all the brushless fun untill you finally decide to go brushless... and dont have to take so much care and think, when do they fry the next time :-)
    Slightly Addicted

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Before you order new motors ( I'd be weary of ordering more titans... ( Dear Traxxas engineers, please convince the Traxxas CEO to stop buying low quality motors & start fitting some decent items to your trucks instead that dont fail after 2 runs. Yours faithfully, Mr AoD ) ), take a look at your options:

http://www.robotwars.00server.com/emaxxupgrade.html

Scroll down to the section on brushed motors- yes, they will work in the erevo too.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Competitor
    cheers for all your input and advice, with the other motors do i need two or is it a single motor conversion. if two, does one need to be reverse rotation.
    cheers

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by moanertony View Post
    cheers for all your input and advice, with the other motors do i need two or is it a single motor conversion. if two, does one need to be reverse rotation.
    cheers
    It depends on the motor. Some are smaller and some are bigger for a single conversion.

RC Champion
    yes if 2 motors you want one with reverse rotation
    Slightly Addicted

RC Competitor
    all sorted, brought 2 titan motors, thought i would keep it standard just incase i sell it on. wow very impressed with car.
    had a old emaxx with old evx esc. this is far better. think i will keep it now.
    faster than i expected, handles good and jumps nice, easier than my 3.3 tmaxx to control when in air and its water proof. bring on the puddles and rain lol

RC Champion
    congrats for your truck running again.... take care of the Titans......... dont run them too hard and no the car is not waterproof... parts of the trucks electronics are watersealed.. ESC and servos and receiver box,,,, and remember to let the car dry in a warm place for a long time (a night) with the receiver box open and upside down after the runs in wet conditions..
    and dont temp to run again before dry.... and watch out for small stones and dust getting into the openings of the titans
    Slightly Addicted

RC Competitor
    cheers for the advice mwi, how come the traxxas video shows it going through puddles and steams, is this not a little misleading if its not that waterproof, and you need to fully let it dry before you can play again.
    was driving it today and it stopped working, esc was flashing red, let it sit for 5 min and was ok after. is this the thermal shut down?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The manual should tell you:

http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...l_091216_0.pdf

page 17; flashing red led does indeed indicate thermal shutdown- were you driving through long grass or anything really demanding on the motors? Might be worth gearing down a notch to keep temps in check, or just take cooling down breaks during the run as needed; even a fan hooked up over the motors should help a bit ( as would some motor heatsinks ).
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Racer
    The car is waterproof. I have run my E-Maxx over and over in the snow and water before it was fully dry. When you are done playing make sure to let it dry somewhere warm so the screws don't rust. Try to wipe it off a little bit and it should be good to go.

RC Champion
    Countermeasures against incoming water and moisture is the correct phrase in ny book when it comes
    To the Erevos electronics
    And thats well done.
    What I meant is that one shall take care and not become too bold if you dont want unexpected expensive malfunctioning or damage. Yep the Erevo is tough in many conditions. There is a section the Erevos manual about driving in wet conditions. Good reading
    Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    Slightly Addicted

RC Competitor
    cheers gents, i will check the online manual now.