RC Enthusiast

Thumbs up Fix 1/16 Summit VXL Driveshaft

I wanted to share with you guys a way to fix the drive shaft at least until you get your replacement ones in the mail.
    I have used 2 of them like this and have not stripped one yet, actually today I striped another of my stock ones.

I hope it helps.

Last edited by djrey; 03-31-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Jato 3.3 Revo 3.3 Savage X 1/16 Summit VXL

RC Champion
    good tip but im breaking the pins and not the plastic...

PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry guys for some reason the image host site is not showing the image...
    here is from a different host.. if admin could fix original message would be appreciated.

RC Enthusiast
    Twisted I think you will be better off using merv drive shafts...
    The merv pins are almost double the diameter of the summit, I am pretty sure the will be very hard to brake off.

Last edited by djrey; 03-31-2011 at 04:39 PM.

RC Champion
    already a step ahead of ya... check out my thread "project go anywhere"

PROJECT BAJA PEDE

interesting the 1/10 summit drive shafts are considered more durable than than 1/10 erevo drive shafts
    and the 1/16 erevo drive shafts are considered more durable than the 1/16 summit drive shafts.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    To solve my driveshaft issues, I ended up putting on RPM revo arms, rpm knuckles, revo cvd's, and p2 rockers. Things runs like a champ now
    Slash 2WD
    1/16 Ken Block Rally
    1/16 Summit

RC poster
    All Revo Drive axles now. In three weeks we have broken two Mini Summit axles, two axle carriers, the steering pivot post, and now we broke an A-arm. Additionally we have lost a few of those plastic round snap-in pieces on the axle carriers. Just a tad frustrated. RPM axle carriers are ordered. Next will be RPM A-arms when the next one breaks. We will do whichever end breaks next, since it appears inevidable. We've had the car three weeks and put about $60+ in repairs already. I am questioning whether the car is just too fast for the size of its parts.

Sorry. I know this was about axles. Just a bit of venting.

RC Competitor
    I solved the driveshaft issue right away. I ordered RPM arms and axle carriers and installed Traxxas CVD's. I should be good to go
    Slash 2WD
    1/16 Ken Block Rally
    1/16 Summit

RC Qualifier
    The mini Sumer isn't really set up for not breaking. Large tires, week drive shafts and week arms. Get rpm arms, aluminum knuckles (I've read alot bout issues with the rpm knuckles) then I'd suggest the "half revo conversion" use mini revo rear rockers and arms then go with if you don't use the revo rockers the arms will travel too far and cause the cvs to pop out.
    Dye-no-mite Pow-er Go Fast, Wirrrrr Screeeech BOOM

RC Enthusiast
    If traxxas build quality of common braking parts was better, they would be no need to buy RPM or other parts.

A common basher will spend easy half of the price of the car or more replacing parts that are so cheap to build like A-arms, drive shafts, axle carriers, shock towers and much more, that in mass production the real price is only cents, but they are sold for 10-15 bucks/

RC Competitor
    For anybody wandering, I installed the P2 Rockers and CVD's on my Summit. I ended up only losing about 1/2" of ground clearance but the truck seems much much better. I highly recommend making these changes unless you need the absolute tallest ground clearance.
    Slash 2WD
    1/16 Ken Block Rally
    1/16 Summit

RC poster
    I agree 100%. and THANK YOU for this DIY!!!
    This is a great fix although the probability of it lasting (at least on MY workmanship)
    any length of time is probably not very long but hopefully juuuuuuuust long enough
    to get you by until you get the replacement (eRevo) driveshaft.
    While I'M at it I'm going to change all the driveshafts.
    I'm about one month into this hobby with this, my first truck
    and I can't believe how suspension parts are breaking.
    First off I had the whole ESC cogging thing & resolved it by swapping the part
    at the dealer under warranty.....upgraded to RPM a-arms up front but still keep breaking
    rear a-arms because RPM won't release the correct replacement part.
    God I wish I had the money......1/8th scale nitro buggy here I come!
    well, thanks again for the quick fix!
    Peace \m/
    Quote Originally Posted by djrey View Post
    If traxxas build quality of common braking parts was better, they would be no need to buy RPM or other parts.

A common basher will spend easy half of the price of the car or more replacing parts that are so cheap to build like A-arms, drive shafts, axle carriers, shock towers and much more, that in mass production the real price is only cents, but they are sold for 10-15 bucks/

RC poster
    Where do I find these parts that you guys talk about? Which ones fit the Summit VXL? New to the hobby with my son and at a loss for some of this!

RC Qualifier
    Most any online retailer, or you lhs, should carry the parts. The part # is TRA7151. These are the drive shafts that are the stock replacement for the 1/16 erevo. They are a direct replacement, no mods required. Although lowering your ride height will help with longevity. These shafts will break, but they last alot longer than the summit shafts, and cost less also. Welcome to the hobby and good luck.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by djrey View Post
    If traxxas build quality of common braking parts was better, they would be no need to buy RPM or other parts./
    Makes me mad that I have to give up wheel travel (lots of it) not to mention ground clearance to make up for the fact that Traxxas can not come up with a durable metal slip-joint CVD for the Summit. How hard could it be? I'd gladly pay 100 bucks for for a set of half shafts that worked with LT rockers and Summit rear arms. Grrrrrr

RC Qualifier
    You don't have to give up the wheel travel. The merv axles will work good with out giving up anything. They will last longer in you lower the ride height a little bit. I am still running the stock summit axle's on the front, and have yet to break a merv axle on the back. The preload ring on my shocks is about in the middle of the threads. I have trashed 3 bodies in that time, and fixing to paint a baja bug body. The cvd's don't work in the summit, with out mods is because they were designed for the merv. But any way the merv axles are pretty strong, and you could use the u-joints from a rustler and make them even stronger.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC poster
    So (again bear with me) is the erevo the same as my Summit VZL 1/16? And what's the CVD?
    Last edited by prickert; 01-22-2013 at 09:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    There's a big difference between a merv halfshaft and a CVD. My frustration stems fom this. I want my Summit to be as durable as a merv can be. I understand the obsticles, however they are trivial in the big picture. I also understand it is unlikely to ever happen.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by prickert View Post
    So (again bear with me) is the erevo the same as my Summit VZL 1/16? And what's the CVD?
    Yes they are the same platform. Different wheel, tires, rear a-arms, rockers, and drive shafts. But all parts will interchange.

The cvd are the same as the drive shafts. They are a metal upgrade componet. They however do not work very well on the summit, unless you change the componets to be basicily the same thing as the revo.

Unless you are running 3s lipo, or nihms in series, the stock revo axles are a good upgrade.
    Last edited by westoakmech; 01-23-2013 at 07:35 AM.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC poster
    Hey twisted, I have the same first problem with my son's. He (actually his uncle at Christmas) stripped one of the front pins off the end and didn't mess up the plastic. This will be our first repair. I noticed there seems to be NO power to the front wheels now. Is that because of the broken pin disengaging one side, or is it more likely that something in the differential is broken? Thoughts? I don't want to pull apart something I'm not too familiar with yet unless I must!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by prickert View Post
    the broken pin disengaging one side, or is it more likely that something in the differential is broken? Thoughts? I don't want to pull apart something I'm not too familiar with yet unless I must!
    Its a differential, so if there is no drag on one side all the driven power is going there and not driving the non-broke side. My sons just did this with BOTH of their Summits that they got for x-max. I pulled the axels from my Summit and patched theirs back up. Now I ordered up a new set of axels to get mine back up and running.

RC poster
    I broke the pins on both fronts within days, the holes were fine. Such a weak design.... It's too bad because if they had of made these shafts with the same diameter pins (joints) as the MERV they could possibly be better if not on par than the merv. Oh well, plenty of cheaper merv replacements

RC Champion
    If I'm not mistaken you can buy a set of merv shafts and rustler half shafts(for the u-joints) for about half the price of a set of Summit shafts.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker