RC poster

Hobbywing brushless system

I just bought this Hobbywing brushless system from KD and it seems pretty good for the price. 150-bucks gets you a 40mm x 68mm 2700kv motor and 120-amp speed control with fan, good up to 4s lipo. I bought the single motor plate and dust cover from the e-revo brushless edition and am using the stock 68 tooth spur gear with an 18 tooth pinion. I mounted the esc with double sided tape, but later found a plastic esc mount, 2-pinion gears, some shrink tubing and screws in the box. The kit also comes with a programming card. Seems like a very complete system and a great price for what you get.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EzRun-120A-ESC-4...item41548af9a1

RC Qualifier
    Have you ran it yet.? Any heat issues? What kind of speeds? We need details. Lol I was eye ballin that kit, so id like to hear some more info if ya got it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I am using both the 80A and 150A EZRun brushless kits in my Revo and Summit and did not have any problems with them in the year I am using them. They are NOT waterproof...not even water resistant. I killed an ESC running into water. It was however replaced immediately without asking any questions. They are strong, fast and very cheap. I for one will stick to EZRun.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think 18/68 gearing on 4s lipo will be a great starting point- gives about 35mph if everything else is stock ( tires mainly- larger diameter ones will increase the top speed ). 65/18 gives 37mph, 62/18 gives 40mph; if you have larger pinions, then 68/20 gives 40mph again- about as high as I would push it really given the smaller motor size ( roughly L can sized by the dimensions ).
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Champion
    you will be good with your Hobbywing Combo... trust me and its fast.... I have only run 4s and with that its just as fast as the castle creations and just as well build when it comes to durability... And like the sound of that engine if it sounds like the old black motor with the fan on top... bet you have the blue one... it looks so cool...
    maybe some say hobbywing is cheap and no good.... and okay the manuals and so on is not as pro as CCs but their service is okay and they work well
    Slightly Addicted

RC poster
    Mines the black motor just like the one in the link. I kinda guessed on the gearing.(18/68) Tried to gear it low because I'm running stock tire/wheel combo from the savage XL. Thought the tires would be too big, but I'm using the long travel rockers with purple springs and I really like the way the revo suspension soaks up the terrain. Got a full run out of the setup yesterday with a pair of 4000mah 2s lipo's. I'm super impressed! Runs just as well as my savage flux with The MMM setup. Wheelies on demand, and top speed looks like 45-50mph. Ran about 20 minutes and the motor came back warm, but definetely not hot! I may go to a 16t pinion to keep things a little cooler. Only problem I'm having is the truck doesn't want to go into reverse. The esc settings are correct, so I may have to adjust the settings on the transmitter.

RC poster

RC Enthusiast
    Did the motor come with the wires ready to plug into the esc or did you have to put your own connectors on?

RC poster
    Everything is plug & play except the pos. and neg. wires from the esc to your batteries. You'll have to solder your own connector there.

RC poster
    More pics.......

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by forescott; 04-01-2011 at 12:34 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Tidy little system- cant argue with it if the temps & power are good.

As for the lack of reverse, check the tx is set for 50/50 mode on the throttle, and that the throttle trim is at neutral; not all that familiar with the newer traxxas 2.4ghz radio, seems to be more fiddly to setup compared to the old fashioned radios. So long as you have proportional brakes though, thats the main thing- you can always turn the truck around by holding the steering full left/right and blipping the throttle...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by forescott View Post
    Mines the black motor just like the one in the link. I kinda guessed on the gearing.(18/68) Tried to gear it low because I'm running stock tire/wheel combo from the savage XL. Thought the tires would be too big, but I'm using the long travel rockers with purple springs and I really like the way the revo suspension soaks up the terrain. Got a full run out of the setup yesterday with a pair of 4000mah 2s lipo's. I'm super impressed! Runs just as well as my savage flux with The MMM setup. Wheelies on demand, and top speed looks like 45-50mph. Ran about 20 minutes and the motor came back warm, but definetely not hot! I may go to a 16t pinion to keep things a little cooler. Only problem I'm having is the truck doesn't want to go into reverse. The esc settings are correct, so I may have to adjust the settings on the transmitter.
    Hobbywing is an OK brand.... thats for sure.. glad to hear others speak positive bout it... and yes just as powerfull as MMM.. the reverse problem must be some overlooked setting :-)
    Slightly Addicted

RC Racer
    i have 2 of the hobby wing 2250 combos and to go into reverse you have to do the 3 click of the throttle to get reverse to work.

RC poster
    I was able to easily fix the reverse problem by adjusting the settings on the transmitter. Also was nice to be able to adjust the punch control of the throttle with the transmitter as well. Help to save those spur gears!

RC poster
    I bought one and it's good...tested on summit first and soon on my racing e-revo....
    Got a reverse problem on the traxxas tx...i will see on the futaba tx if i get set it up ...
    Last edited by SEBAMUSAK; 04-22-2011 at 11:51 AM.