Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

AbSolute Stampede Rebuild Complete-Tonz of Pics

AbSoLooT Stampede

Hey guys, Here’s my thread for the final completion of my long restoration of my Pede. Started 5 months ago with the original thought that I was just going to make it look good to sit on a shelf in my man cave. lol (was out of the hobby for over a decade) well... after getting a body, wheels and tires, I got full blown back into the hobby. I was in awe with where it had come to after that much time. I originally picked up my Pede, in 97 than it sat aside for a good ten years until I made this move recently. Much to my amazement when I went into the hobby store after wondering if they may still have parts for it, come to find they not only do so but produce the same truck along with newer version (monster jam of course.) This is all duh to me now because of how far I have come since I started again. One of my setbacks was coming along on normal front arms, than deciding to get the Proline Protract before I went any further. Real glad I did. Handles like a dream, and first on road, and off road drives were terrific. But after 5 months, and lots of hours to make sure everything was very precise and getting to know the truck even better. She was finally completed. “Everything” besides the half shafts, and shock bodies have been replaced. I picked up CVDs but am putting them in next build instead and went with steel yolks for the Stampede. Shocks will be replaced soon with big bores, or am gonna rebuild em with alum shock bodies. That and the Castle Sidewinder will be replaced with Mamba once I get it back from Castle from replacement. And I am soon to purchase 3c Lipo to replace 7cell NiMh.

Here is what I started with: 1997 Stampede. Built from Disassembled kit and all. Still Have the original assembly manual, and old skool decals.

Here is Stage two. Body is stock length, Pre-Protrac, Stock tranny, Pre-Slipper, and Prior to any updated electronics.

I got done with Suspension arms with alum cambers and turnbuckles, than got to better know the Protrac and read about it, and decided to go for it before I went any farther, and just like the rest of the build, I didn’t save anything to “ill upgrade later” Part of why it took the time it did, that and budget of course, but sure glad I did the approach the way I did. This is a good way to do so because no cutting of your posts is involved.

Here is “most” of the parts tags. Things like Tire bags, and others are not here.. But for an idea of how many parts it takes to build a truck from basically scratch. The fact I had what I had made little difference. It allowed me to have a truck together at all times, but that is about it. lol. I now have a complete 2nd truck as this one is brand new; which is also the reason that stock parts were replaced for the equivalent as the originals will do on the 2nd Stampede.

Electronics
    Velineon 3500 Brushless Motor
    Castle Sidewinder ESC/ 1/10 Mamba Max ESC
    Duratrax 7cell 4600 NiMh/ 3c Lipo SMC/SPC/Max Amps

Modifications
    Proline Protrac Front Suspension Arm
    Proline Protrac Rear Suspension Arm
    Proline Protrac Front Shock Tower
    Proline Protrac Rear Shock Tower
    Proline Masher 2k Tires
    Kimbrough Servo Saver
    RC Screw Stainless Steel Kit and additional single units
    Traxxas Pro-Graphix Body (clear)
    Traxxas Fiberglass Tie-bar
    Traxxas Wheelie bar
    Traxxas Slash Bumper
    Traxxas 3941 Steel Steering drag link (2) as Turnbuckles
    Traxxas Steel Output Yolks
    Traxxas Steel Differential gear
    Traxxas Steel Idler Gear
    Traxxas Slipper clutch
    Traxxas Blue Rubber Sealed Ball Bearings (gearbox)
    Dynamite Red Rubber Sealed Ball Bearings
    Futaba 3304 Servo

Aluminum:
    STRC Red Bulkhead
    STRC Red Bearing Carriers front/rear
    STRC Red Castor blocks
    STRC Red Shock Caps
    STRC Red Hex Adapters
    STRC Red Camber links
    STRC Red “custom” strut/battery tie links
    Racers Edge Red Washers Cap
    Racers Edge Red Washer Countersunk
    Dynamite Gold 4mm Flanged Lock Nuts
    Traxxas Red Wheelie bar wheels with Bearings

RPM Revolver Wheels (2) Fronts
    RPM Wheelie bar mount
    RPM gear cover
    RPM Front Body mount

Stock Equivalent/ Replacements/Add-ons:
    Traxxas Black Chassis
    Traxxas Front Skid
    Traxxas Rear Skid
    Traxxas Black Gearbox
    Traxxas Waterproof Receiver Cover
    Traxxas ESC mount
    Traxxas Rear body mount
    OFNA High Temp Diff Oil
    Updated VXL floating drive shafts,
    and more…

Last but not least. The Final Product. I am extremely happy with the way it turned out, And since this is been along time in the making, and I am finally done and can post build complete thread, I have posted a lot of pics. IMO it turned out diff than any I have seen out there

Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 03-27-2011 at 04:42 AM.

Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 03-27-2011 at 04:48 AM.

Here’s my workstation. lol. Most the time I don’t have a kitchen table. Haha. Good thing my GF who lives with me is cool.

Here is Before and After of the Drop Comparison, and the Protrac Arms. What a difference this two things made.

Before Pre-Protrac and Body Lowering

After

After

After

Clkoser look at internals

Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 03-27-2011 at 05:12 AM.

Gotta Rep the Traxxas Love

Stainless steel for dayz..

A little something with extra links I had. Will have to remove the front one when Lipo comes in, but for now it works and looks pretty chill. Like strut bars. Lol

And of course, after this.. Had to break her in.. Drove like a dream. It exceeded my expectations. When u take the time to make sure that everything lines up to the MM, there are not wobbles, the correct amount of .5 spacers for what you have. I.E depending on which carriers on your shafts, Things turn out great. Since It took so long, a lot of time was spent doing so, and once I drove her, I was able to enjoy the benefits of my hard work, and precision. My wheels spin without one wobble or play back and forth and upon driving her it showed through and through. Now I will have to clean her again though, and not go through dirt without coating her so dirt doesn’t stick. Lol. I was just to excited. BTW the Protrac kicks tail for sure!

Thanks for checking out my build thread, This was defiantly not the cheapest method to go by far, but in my opinion and the fact that I love the build part of the aspect, defiantly the most fun, and the truck is exactly how I want it. I stayed away from alum chassis because the red would scratch and id rather have fun with it, so alum went in key places. All in all, it took some patience, mostly because of budget and adding a bit on at a time, but I worked at a steady pace, and added several things on every week until done. I learned alooot, and I know my truck backwards and forwards, down to what Millimeter things should be. Now I know my next two builds will be even smoother because of how much I have learned from this one.

Future plans: Mamba is with Castle getting replaced from pervious owner of that esc, got it included in a lot but so get a new one for smoking deal, besides that a Lipo (which I’m itching for) and a few changes to my shocks, I’m on to the next two builds. I have got started and started dying parts for a RPM Pede with left overs from this build for harder bashing and family driving, but most importantly a 100 mph rustler that I can’t wait to have flying down my street and showin people what’s up. Lol

Thanks again and if your in this same process, or whatever, feel free to ask a question if you are doing the same, since I just went through this build, and/or leave a comment and say what’s up.

RC Champion
    WOW what an AWSOME JOB

RC Champion
    Wow thats a lot of mods...
    Land of the free?

It turned out real nice. Good combination of parts for a bashing Pede.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    nice truck bro

RC poster
    Looking good!
    Speed is addicting!

RC Qualifier
    that thing is freaking sweet, makes me want the protrac kit now.
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Good job. Keepin it shiny is the hard part now lol.

RC Qualifier
    Nice like the radio too man.
    If it ain't dirty get it dirty

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by flanders125 View Post
    Ya, I've been debating on what suspension I want to get for my truck and it's between the RPM arms and the Protrac stuff, and I'm leaning towards the Protrac kit. I just blew a lower shock screw out of the right stock rear arm yesterday jumping my Pede. Even broke the top off one of my Integy XSR shocks. I contacted them and they said they would replace it but I think I'm gonna get a set of new shocks and keep these for spares.

RC Qualifier
    yeah once i get the money i'm gonna make the jump to the protrac suspension kit and probably get front and rear proline shocks.
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Racer
    Are those hex wrench's in a screw driver style, if so where did you get them, and how much? thanks, nice pede by the way, have you seen my Rustler/Buggy?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminLester View Post
    Are those hex wrench's in a screw driver style, if so where did you get them, and how much? thanks, nice pede by the way, have you seen my Rustler/Buggy?
    Not sure which is good or not but this is what i found on towerhobbies. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...vers&search=Go
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Racer
    Oh okay, thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post
    WOW what an AWSOME JOB
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments. So nice to have it done.

Quote Originally Posted by asheck View Post
    It turned out real nice. Good combination of parts for a bashing Pede.
    Ya I wanted it looking good, but didnt want to stress about scratching up the Red alum, so I made sure it went where it was would stay looking good, and plastic elsewhere. Nice thing is too, I learned to remove scratches on plastic using a dremel, and so thats anouther nice part of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by flanders125 View Post
    Definatly go protrac! RPM is still stronger, but protrac handles like a dream... I was eating up the dirt small jumps like a baja truck. It was sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminLester View Post
    ya homie, They are from dynamite. I got em at Local Hobby Shop. and there were diff prices some that were alum were like 30 bucks.. These were 15 for the set, so good price. You only need 3 sizes for 1/10 scale. Not sure if yours will have bigger, but I only needed. 1.5 2.0 and 2.5 mm Hex Drivers. Than it included 2 bigger ones. You can even buy em individually..
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 03-27-2011 at 03:32 PM.

RC Racer
    This is what he has
    http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN2819
    I have the same set and they are great.

RC Competitor
    Very nice, great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcecarbldr View Post
    This is what he has
    http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN2819
    I have the same set and they are great.

Yup hes right. They are nice. and the ends have held up nice and not stripped in anyway. Good price to compared to others

RC Qualifier
    is that a transformers pad your car is on? if so thats awesome haha
    Last edited by flanders125; 03-27-2011 at 06:10 PM.
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

ya! haha..thx. heck ya. I found it at walmart for 94 cents and i was like boo yaa. lol. It was to bad they didnt have a bumble bee also. lol. And its not like im all young. The apartment in the background is and was "modded" by me to. lol . Who doesnt like Transformers right ?

RC Qualifier
    haha right? can't wait to see the new movie either. Great find at first i thought it was the proline one they make but i took a second look and noticed it was transformers haha.
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

lol. heck ya. I would like that proline one but its very similar for less than a dollar. lol

RC Qualifier
    yeah thats my thinking for less than a dollar you cant beat that ha
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Racer
    I just pulled the trigger for the Protrac kit today. Arms, links, shock mounts and wheels. Should be here by the end of the week then I'm gonna put them to the test.

RC Qualifier
    grats! i'm jealous i wish i could be getting it this week ha
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

RC Competitor
    Question Can you use the Stock talons with the protrac kit or do you have to buy new wheels at the same time?
    trying to find out how much it will cost to make the jump.

oh no, stock talons are just fine. BUT.. you do need either Two front wheels, or two back wheels. So you wil have to bake a set to losen them, and unglue your tires, and put them on like the " 2nd " set of front wheels. Notice on my pics, i have the "stage 2" which was half way done, and my rpm wheels are one deep dish, and one not. not something u "notice" with the talons, but they work the same way. After adding em, I got a 2nd pair of front wheels, and they are both deep dish. Wheels arent expensive at all. Its the tires that are. Just do alot of homework on removing tires, and do it carefully, and do the bake method so u can reuse wheels and tires. I just got done doing that on a 2nd used set thats going in the 2nd stampede, and they turned out great. Also... the kit comes with Proline split six wheels, and links. Links are a great way to save on cost. I didnt like the color of the steel on my truck, but most of em look great. than u can sell the wheels like I did, orr.... U can buy just the front and rear arms, and front and rear shock towers, and thatll cost you 40. but you will need extended links and they well those seperate to for cheap. I ended up paying 45 for my protrac kit after I sold the wheels since we run stampedes. anouther good thing for the whole kit though is the rear bearing carreirs which will only fit running the 2.8s like yours, and not 2.2 like mine. I run alum carriers anyways. Oh, and two front "wheels" will only cost you like 10 bucks, so your looking at about 55-70. Definatly worth every penny though. and btw, no u wont need new shocks. Alot of people just add them at that time, and proline trys to upsell the bit overpriced powerstrokes.
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 03-28-2011 at 11:00 PM.

RC Racer
    I like the tires and the front bumper, I need one of those bumpers!

They do a world of difference. I like that they cover more to, and the fact that i dont have the second piece acts like a great shock absorber cuz it bends some to but just the right amount. Also, anouther benefit to this vs the RPM pede one, is this one bolts with 4 screws instead of just two, and covers the bulkhead much better, so pretects from scratching. The RPM one leaves a bid gap to the bulk head. Both are good options over the stock stampede bumper, but I like this one alot.

RC Qualifier
    o yeah the rpm slash bumper is a must. I drove straight into a car tire going full speed and nailed the front bumper head on and I was shocked that nothing was broken. the fact that it acts like a shock absorber is awesome
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL

Me to... But straight into a curb and though for sure.. its nice cuz acts as the first point of impact, than the tires.... I couldnt belive I smacked dead on to a curb so fast and didnt break anything including the bumper. I was reassured big time after that on my choice. this one is a stock slash bumper. Works terrific either way

RC Champion
    Real nice! Definitely something to be proud of!!!! Now all you have to do is have fun with it. That's the only thing that really matters.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Racer
    Does the Slash front bumper bolt right on to a stock Pede? I still have the stock bulkhead and front skid.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    I've got a 5lbs. Pede that has taken some real hard hits with the RPM slash bumper. The 4x4 post close to my favorite jump has chunks taken out of it from the H-Bomb hitting it over and over. I did smash a wide pede bumper on it, but never the slash bumper. It took a curb to snap that one lol.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcecarbldr View Post
    Does the Slash front bumper bolt right on to a stock Pede? I still have the stock bulkhead and front skid.
    yeah all you need is 2 extra screws and your set.
    Stampede VXL
    Merv VXL