RC Qualifier

Brushless gearing help?

Hey guys, just picked up a couple of cheap brushless systems for mine and my son's cars. My son's is a rustler, and the thing works great for him. But mine is in my pede it's geared 20/86., running 2s and the motor temps are around 160 the esc around 85-90 and the batt I didn't even check cause it doesn't even get warm to the touch. I'm running the stock wheels and tires and a 60a esc with 3930kv motor. Can someone reccomend a gearing setup to bring my engine temps down? These temps were after a mild ten minute run.
    addicted much....

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    You are ok with 160 temps at the motor, which is where I like them at too. Run a full pack and keep checking them and see how they are. You are actually safe at up to 180. When it starts to warm up or you run for longer periods just keep checking the temps and you might have to gear down a tooth or 2. Another option is to pick up an RPM gearbox. It has a motor plate that will help lower temps.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    gear down?? your not the first person to say that. but i'm under the impression that when the motor runs hot, and the esc runs cool, you gear up? why gear down? the pack still had alot left to go too. I think if would have ran a full pack i would have been way over temp. but tonight, i'll see if i can get through a full pack. i just got kinda worried when i saw how hot it had gotten so quickly. And i'll definately check into that rpm gearbox.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    This is an old thread, I know. But I have been running this pede for a few months now, and the motor gets to 180 after ten to fifteen minutes. This has been my favorite truck ever since I finished the build. I Have to figure the gearing out for this thing! The esc is still cool with the high motor temps. What gearing have you guys had the best results with?
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    I have a stock VXL and I can easily run 19/86 with 2s lipo and stay well below 150. I ran it at about 60 degrees ambient and it did not get over 120. I ran 23/86 at 75 degrees through a fairly long yard and I got up to 170 pretty fast but it stayed there for 30 minutes running. I think you should be able run 20/86.

RC Qualifier
    I run stock gearing and no major issues just depends on what type of terrain it is on and how hard you are on throttle
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

RC Qualifier
    I'm running 19/86 and drive mostly in short grass. But last night I was doing speed runs from one end of my street to the other. I ran it for probably 25 mins like that, and the motor only hit 150. I run a Leapord combo. I think it's a 380 motor in a 540 can. I can't figure out if I should gear up, or if that motor is just too small.
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    What system are you running.?

RC Qualifier
    Its the 60a leapord with the 3930kv motor. I know its a 1/10 scale system, but I also know its a 380 motor in a 540 case. So maybe its just not up to the task.
    addicted much....

Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    Its the 60a leapord with the 3930kv motor. I know its a 1/10 scale system, but I also know its a 380 motor in a 540 case. So maybe its just not up to the task.
    If its a 380 sized case then it won't be up to the task. But that esc should be able to run just about any 540 or 550 sized motor with ease. I'd pick up a cheap velineon on the MP here, or get a duratrax or vektor motor off the bay for about $55. They will rock that truck.

Start at 21/86 for any of them.
    Last edited by O.G.; 06-13-2013 at 04:29 PM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    so far I am geared at 18/58 32 pitch on a 4 pole 4550 Duratrax Onyx 3174 motor....no heat issues will check the temps with a new gun this weekend. Been on tarmac but will definitely lower the pinion when bashing on grass etc.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Agian, reviving this old thread. I dont find a lot of time to work on my rc's. So today I moved up to a 23t pinion and 86t spur. I did speed runs up and down my street for fifteen minutes or so and the motor was at 200 (yikes! ) the esc at 100. My question is, should I go down in spur size or up in pinion? This thing is already faster than I'd like it to be. I did notice with just a 3 tooth increase in in pinion, it went from a wheel spinning, fishtailing beast to a pop a wheely at 25mph, easy on the throttle beast! Lol
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Another option is to pick up an RPM gearbox. It has a motor plate that will help lower temps.
    This will do the same thing w/o having to totally swap the gear housing. I use one myself in the transmission I use for bashing. I'm geared 19/86 on a 4700kv and 120a SC8 HW esc running 6500mah 35c 2S. It has helped lower my hard run temps down by 5 degrees on hot days.

http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...product_id=654
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    My question is, should I go down in spur size or up in pinion?
    Try your gearing at 19/86. You will like it an you will get great performance all the way around. Remember bigger pinion for top speed whereas it's opposite on the spur. Smaller tooth count on the spur translates to higher top end. 19/86 seems to be the sweet spot.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    I was at 20/86 before, and loved the way it was. The more I read, the more I'm starting to realize the leapord motor is too small. It's a 380 motor in a 540 can. I'm gonna throw my castle 4pole 3800kv in it, put the 19 on there and see if that works. This truck is so much fun when there's leaves on the street. I love sliding around and shredding the leaves!
    addicted much....

RC Racer
    I was Having that same issue with 8.5 turn 4000kv ez run but now I have it at 16 86 and it stays cool and I still get about 37-40 mph out of it with a 10.8 5000mah batt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free