Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

RC Champion

Al's Revo's & OCD, ADD, and many other issues.

Ok like my partners in crime I'm going to recap the madness that started at Christmas and keep it all in one place, if you feel you have addiction issues with RC parts and upgrades your welcome to air your problems here, I will surely feel your pain. haha Getting to it. The breaking in of the .28 is proceeding nicely, I'm following Robins instructions now and let me tell you this thing is total sickness, I had some issues, I fried the center diff doing what I did in that video, so Don't do that. Right now the truck has forward only in it. I can't keep the front on the ground even with the big tires on it. It will flip it's self over backwards at half gas. Right now its got a RR steel 15 bell and 38 steel spur. I've got 3+ quarts through it. Robin says it will take a gallon to be really ready to tune for performance. I'm going to try to fit a body to it tonight, the pipe is making things a little tough. Had to redo the linkage, it's way better now, used that pivot ball connection with a Tekno ball bearing connector, it's smooth and fast. The dog bone setup was wanting to hang up, it had to go. Pics to follow. So ready for the weekend. Welcome to the nut house brothers.
    15 IS Enough, Time to thin down the fleet some.

RC Champion
    It’s about time you consolidated your insanity in one spot.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA

RC Champion
    Got a body on it. Had to hack it up a bit but it will take some punishment for sure. Still have to clean up the edges but I ran it to make sure the igniter would fit and the pull starter had good access. Nothing like exhaust poring out the window. I'm real close to being good on the break in, with the plug out I can feel the pinch getting better at TDC. I'll have some rolling video up tomorrow. If it's like today it will be rolling as in cartwheels, I'll have a center diff back in it this week, you'll see what I mean, you can't run one of these without one for long. Total sickness at it's best.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Al's house of Pain!!

RC Qualifier
    I think your front bumper is upside down.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsemen911 View Post
    I think your front bumper is upside down.
    Yep it is good catch. That stuff happens when the wife is telling ya to come out of the man cave. Thanks 911

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Morancy View Post
    Yep it is good catch. That stuff happens when the wife is telling ya to come out of the man cave. Thanks 911
    HAHAHA thats funny. i cant wait to see this thing in action
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Champion
    And me as well Toxic, hope its not raining at Als house this weekend like it is here, need some video, that truck is awesome!
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

RC Competitor
    somebody needs to top this 1...its a challenge..probably not me but i gotta tell ya THAT THING IS REVO-LATION...i need some parts!

RC Champion
    The Big Block Revo Summit is Done!! Now it just a matter of bashing it and seeing how it all stays together, the new center diff is in with the rear brake back on. Robinson Racing Gears in the new case, HD clutch and bell, all steel, going to keep it at 15/38 for a bit and see how it goes. Few pics of the end results. I think this rig should bash with the best of them.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Champion
    Got some bashing in today, tough start, broke the pull start, got it running and warmed up by starting it with a nut driver on the screw gun right on the OWB, it's broke in enough that the torque driver is starting it now. We'll see for how long, Putting a heat gun to the head is what is needed for these BB's when cold, it's crazy sick, got to get it out in some open space for sure. I had enough for today, ran all 3 of them, no major breakage, just cold, windy and raw out.

RC Competitor
    says video unavailable

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Motox31x View Post
    says video unavailable
    yep, it's still processing, few more minutes, sorry bout that.

RC Champion
    its still being processed

RC Champion
    Thats sick AL.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    Thats sick AL.
    I got another 4 min worth processing now, the Summit body held up nice and protected just like it was suppose to, that is still running real fat, haven't even started leaning it down. I'm going to follow Robin's tuning tips when I finish getting the gallon through it. Here is his tuning guide. http://www.extremercmods.com/content/tuning-popup.html

I just printed them and I'm heading back out, lol he just watched the video and called me, fatin it up he says, it's running lean. How's that for service, wait till we got one of his pipes on this thang.....

Just fell victam to a dead chassis battery, thank goodness of the quick charger,

RC Champion
    I get all giddy watching you jump it LOL.

RC Competitor
    you hit second gear yet? that thing looks like it would pull 65mph! makin me drool! what a truck! put that in a rc magazine! i'm wonderin if .26 is my best bet. i'm not ready for a .28! but what the heck i'll do it. YOU THE MAN AL..

RC Champion
    Oh yea it's hitting second gear, I need to figure out how to dial it back to shift later, I looked in there and couldn't figure it out, have to hit the book on that one, never had to mess with it. Well I just went through 2 tanks fine tuning the beast, I followed Robins tuning guide, leaned it out past good and brought it back to where it was best, the LSN was close but I checked it in both directions to see, feel, and hear the difference, got it to the point that if I hit the gas to hard it just goes over backwards, then watched the temp come down at idle to make sure it was doing what it is suppose to. Fried the clutch shoes at the end, all the constant on and off hard is too much for stock shoes, that's ok cause Monday an OFNA 3 shoe alumn clutch kit made for that motor will be here. That is a 15/38 setup right now, I think that will be good for bashing in tight area's like I'm dealing with. When it warms up it will be fun to put the street tires on it and some taller gears to see what kind of top end we can get. Got to get the center diff back in it for sure, spent half the day chasing it to flip it back on it's wheels. I think I got a couple of cartwheels on video today, I know one was at least 6 flips, one time it landed right and I hammered on. I hope I can find that.. the OFNA back plate starter is working good so far, it's definitly broke in. When I first tried that stater I just stripped it out. All in all a good RC day, all three trucks got a good beating and nothing busted.

RC Competitor
    first day without downpour & my revo's acting up..i've reading up tunin the nitros as i have no experience at all with thes motors & i can't get the reciever to work..i was gonna try some tunin..easy fix i'm sure..i better get hip 2 these motors..

RC Champion
    Al those tires look like they hook up nicely toss them on the 3.3 revo with the center diff I want to know if I should add them to my list. If you could test with a 38t and 40t spur gears that would be even sweeter.

RC Champion
    Inny, the 3.3 is stock on the tranny, but I have run them with a 40 and they did great, I'll throw them on the stocker and take a quick clip so you can see.

RC Champion
    Well I'm all apart again with the BB, not due to any major issue, noticed the front wheels getting all the glory so went to put 500 K lube in the center diff, work out my fingers trying to get it back together. Put up some pics of air shots, on the main page, I'll put the crashes in here, she got a good one of it cartwheeling.

RC Champion
    My experiment with these 3 shoe small style clutches is not working out as planned on the .26 Maxx anyway, they may be perfect for a 3.3, the flywheels don't sit as tight to the block as a stock or Traxxas 40mm does, this causes the clutch teeth to get into the slipper clutch pad holder, I was using a 36 tooth spur and the pad holder is proud of that. Just one of those days, everything I tried turned to edit. I'm thinking the stock motor needs to be in the carbon fiber chassis, the maxx back in a stock chassis and an 1/8 scale clutch and bell, the .28 setup has been holding up to the abuse drive train wise nicely. Inny said the CF chassis wouldn't take the bashing, to much flex, putting a bigger motor in it is compounding the issue. Maybe that truck is better off with street tires and being used on pavement with a 3.3 in it. Right now the only thing consistantly taking the beating is me. lol It's all just a big experiment.

RC Champion
    You rock Al thanks.

RC Competitor
    Thats nice and for the record i like the front bumper on upside down

RC Champion
    This is the first part of the tuning video, it's boring but just listen to how nicely this motor idles. For the record I was following Robin's tuning guide, and it was pretty amazing that using the temp gun to watch the temp fall at idle the way he says got the LSN to the perfect spot. When it was all said and done with, right before I cooked the clutch shoes, the response on the trigger was sick. To the point of just flipping it over backwards, and that's on grass with big tires. Oh boy is this gonna be a sick basher. lol

RC poster
    Well I figured I should join up lol, the video in post #17 looks perfect Al, it looks like you got it dialed right in, great job.

Robin.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme RC Mods View Post
    Well I figured I should join up lol, the video in post #17 looks perfect Al, it looks like you got it dialed right in, great job.

Robin.
    Yes!!! Thanks Robin, Now I just need the right pipe.

RC Champion
    Hey Robin good to see you on the forums here.

RC Champion
    Brook, it's got a .28 in the XL, quick update one the 500 K fluid in the center diff, it's like not having a center diff, lol wheelies like mad, the good thing is being able to adjust the brakes, but even with all that steel in there all this thing want to do is flip over backwards, I busted a rocker post off last night during a bad flip back that turned into a nasty cartwheel, this was fuguly for sure. quick fix with a drill and ez out, then I found a cracked rear RPM axle carrier, it's been cracked for a little bit too, could tell by the dirt, it didnt happen last night. the more you beat them the more your fixing them. That goes for adding power too.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Morancy View Post
    Brook, it's got a .28 in the XL, quick update one the 500 K fluid in the center diff, it's like not having a center diff, lol wheelies like mad, the good thing is being able to adjust the brakes, but even with all that steel in there all this thing want to do is flip over backwards, I busted a rocker post off last night during a bad flip back that turned into a nasty cartwheel, this was fuguly for sure. quick fix with a drill and ez out, then I found a cracked rear RPM axle carrier, it's been cracked for a little bit too, could tell by the dirt, it didnt happen last night. the more you beat them the more your fixing them. That goes for adding power too.
    how would you get a new rear carrier? because its the true track kit your useing right? do you have to call them and ask if you can order a true track carrier?

RC Qualifier
    How are the integy bulks working with the heavy bashing
    KNEE INJURIES HURT !!!

RC Champion
    No issues yet, I hit the set of stairs coming out of the shed while tuning yesterday no damage, nice square hit right on the corner of the stair tread center of the bumper, thought for sure something was broke, gave it a good look over and was really surprised, not to mention the cartwheels, I think some of them are on video, the center diff will be back in it this week, it's tuned nice now but if I punch it to half way it's over backwards. So the real tests will start after the 3 shoe alum clutch kit comes for OFNA and the diff and brake are set back up.

RC Competitor
    i'll send you my revo with the big block in it..maybe you can hook up me with break in & tuning..lol..is robins break in & tuning guide available on this..

RC Champion
    Look back there I have a link to it, don't worry you'll get through it just fine. Just be ready to sit around and burn up a gallon of fuel before your start tuning it for power, keep it fat and make your temps and putt around. Don't do what I did in the video or you'll be buying more parts like I am right now, lol One dummy around here is enough. Hey it's all just one big experiment.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by brookb100 View Post
    i'll send you my revo with the big block in it..maybe you can hook up me with break in & tuning..lol..is robins break in & tuning guide available on this..
    Which engine are you running?

Here's the link again.

ERCM's Performance tuning guide.
    Last edited by Extreme RC Mods; 03-27-2011 at 09:00 PM.

RC Champion
    Got started on the tear down tonight, what I thought was a fried clutch shoe turned out to be a fried bearing in the clutch bell and it was brand new, a little perplexing, this weeks work will be to put the center diff back in and the new 3 shoe alumn clutch kit from OFNA made for the Picco. This should handle the power of the .28, I'm biting the bullet and going with the RR steel gear set for the tranny, and that's going in a RD Logics Silver Case, just installed the Golden Horizons silver steering servo saver and arms. If I can avoid any light poles I think I may be in good shape to handle the power. It's looking more and more like a shelf queen, lol but queens were made to be beat as far as I'm concerned, and beat it shall be.

RC poster
    Thanks for welcome insanity, I have a jato coming any day now so I have a little research to do, this forum should help out with that.

RC Champion
    There is plenty going on in the jato forum to read up on.

RC Champion
    Just looked at that tuning guide for the first time, noticed it correlated nicely, to what i already experience as far as idle after a high speed run. im gonna try and tweak it a little better from now on! Thanks Robin!
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....