RC Competitor

New Engine or New piston and sleeve??? T MAXX 3.3

Ive had some recent problems with my TRX 3.3. I did a full engine rebuild because my engine stalled out and would not start. I finally got it going again today. When cold, the engine had good compression but it took FOREVER to start and after it ran for a little it stalled out and would not start for about 15 min. When the engine was warm I turned the flywheel and i noticed that the compression was very poor. I know this is a very bad sign for my engine. My question is should I just replace the whole engine, or just replace the piston, connector, and sleeve? Or if im wrong... is there something else i should do?

THANKS

Did you put the piston with the cutout towards the carb?
    Remove the piston and sleeve and try to push the piston up through the sleeve, if you can then it is done. If not, you need to make sure the gasket is still in good shape between the head and block and the glow plug is tight and the gasket correct:
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I took the piston and sleeve out and cold the piston slid out of the sleeve. not all the way, but a significant amount. i heated it up with a hairdryer and it slid even more. Im assuming that the block is still fine. Im going to probably get a new piston and sleeve. Is this the right step to take?

Do the check DG put up first.

If it does turn out to be toast ERP it, you'll almost as much into it with a new P/S and Con rod.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    If your sure you need a new sleeve and piston, do yourself a favor lol, and buy a new engine.
    Just like Wildman4910 said,check into the replacement plan,it'll most likley save you money, even if not at first, think about the the money it'll most likley save you in the future.Just my thoughts.
    Also, kind of off point but I like your sig. Wildman4910 lol, I like nitro too.

God answers prayer,pray,believe,never give up!
    Last edited by 1979chevy.; 03-25-2011 at 07:34 PM.

RC Competitor
    I haven't really looked into this plan. Will they still give me 50% of a new 3.3 even though im turning in a used 3.3?
    So it will cost around $60?

No the cost is around $115 or whatever they quote. Traxxas' retail price for the engine is about $250. So you could ERP it or buy a new one on eBay and have a spare carb, block, head for about $100.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Louisiana but originally from Ottawa, Canada
    If I was you I would eBay a new motor, and keep an eye out for motor that are auctions, you can find a decent deal that way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-3-3-TRX-...item27b996ba2a

(Edit) Sorry just noticed the above one doesn't come with carb so I would keep searching.

or a buy now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-5507-Jat...item4cf5d94bb4

and I didn't really look I just did a search on txr3.3 and those were the first two I seen.
    T-Maxx Predator 3.3
    Shockwave 36

RC Competitor
    thats a little out of my price range... i think im gonna get a piston and sleeve and see how that works out. I would rather spend 50 on those parts than spend 110 on a new engine unless i can find one for a good deal
    Last edited by robbyt1994; 03-25-2011 at 09:12 PM.

RC Champion
    that sounds fine,I would just clean the engine out real well and oil it up you'll be fine.

God answers prayer,pray,believe,never give up!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyt1994 View Post
    thats a little out of my price range... i think im gonna get a piston and sleeve and see how that works out. I would rather spend 50 on those parts than spend 110 on a new engine unless i can find one for a good deal
    I can fully understand your thinking in regards to expense. Something else to consider is this: The piston/rod/sleeve weren't the only thing to experience wear along the way. The crankshaft, block and bearings were enduring stress all the while the piston/rod/sleeve were wearing out. It would suck if after replacing the p/r/s to find that the bearings were junk and caused more damage.
    Last edited by Jack Tupp; 03-25-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: grammar
    ...that was jacked up!

RC Champion
    Louisiana but originally from Ottawa, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyt1994 View Post
    Okay just think of it this way.

You just piston and sleeve it, what about Conrod? I'm gonna assume your going to get an amazing deal and that will all come together, so 50$ for that, NOW what about the bearings wouldn't want to do all that work and 50$ to have it all mess up cause your bearings are bad....what about the crankshaft?? That could also have some damage!! and then your carb is it 100%??

What I'm getting at is this 110$ for a brand new motor with all the parts..Is cheaper then buying part by part.

Now I say this for this reason.
    I re-built a 3.3 that was given to me with new Carb & Head still in bag. I was like yay free can't beat that.

So I bought piston, conrod and sleeve 50$
    Then I bought bearings didn't want to assume they were good 20$
    Then I bought crankshaft cause again wanted to make sure all was tip top shape 20$
    So now I'm in it for 90$ and EVERYTHING but block is brand new. I put it all together and guess what front bearing leaks, so I call the bearing company they send me new one's and it still leaks, now I think the block is worn out and doesn't matter how many bearings I put in there it won't be a perfect fit and now I have to buy a block or ride it the way it is and let it wear out premature because its got an air leak and will run lean here and there. So I'm just saying sometimes you try and do things the quick and cheap way and it ends up costing you more then it would of. Hope if you go that route you don't have the problems I'm going through.
    T-Maxx Predator 3.3
    Shockwave 36

RC Competitor
    Thanks. i ended up buying a new motor off ebay for about 90 bucks. now im worry free