Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    RC Racer
    What are you going for with your truck are you trying to make it a crawler cause i like the way mine is for crawling except for the shocks and the articulation in the suspension. If i soften the shocks it sits low and sags but if i make them harder they dont have as much articulation. Anyway i was just wondering with what you did with you shocks if it will help with being more of a crawler

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by XJoeTheShowX View Post
    What are you going for with your truck are you trying to make it a crawler cause i like the way mine is for crawling except for the shocks and the articulation in the suspension. If i soften the shocks it sits low and sags but if i make them harder they dont have as much articulation. Anyway i was just wondering with what you did with you shocks if it will help with being more of a crawler
    the summit in my opinion will never be a crawler. that doesnt mean it can not play on the rocks

the shock work i have done is more for speed related stuff.one thing you have to remember and this goes for a true 100% rock crawler, to much articulation is just as bad as not enough. the "happy medium" is to set your truck up so it has a decent ammount of traval while keeping weight on the tire.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Racer
    yeah ok but mine definitely needs more articulation to get over the rocks so how should i go about doing that if you can help that would be awesome

RC Champion
    yeah ok but mine definitely needs more articulation to get over the rocks so how should i go about doing that if you can help that would be awesome
    whats your set up now ?
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Racer
    well its sorta a combo of stock and gpms shocks i had the spring retainer break on the stock one so i decided to swith them all out for the gmp ones and i also decided to switch out the pice that connects to the rockers to the gpm so its like a mix

RC Champion
    well its sorta a combo of stock and gpms shocks i had the spring retainer break on the stock one so i decided to swith them all out for the gmp ones and i also decided to switch out the pice that connects to the rockers to the gpm so its like a mix
    the easiest way to get more articulation is to go to a softer spring.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Racer
    twisted this thread is gold man! hey how have you found filling in one of the holes in the shock pistons, Is there a noticable improvement in the rebound?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosRR View Post
    twisted this thread is gold man! hey how have you found filling in one of the holes in the shock pistons, Is there a noticable improvement in the rebound?
    thanks, not a huge difference but enough. i was at 100 wt oil and it still had to much/to fast of a rebound with the 2 hole gpm piston.
    after i glued one hole shut it was better.

you might be saying " a 100wt shock oil'? ya got to remember my truck is a tank with the full cage and skid on it.

i just finished up painting the body panels so i should have some pics up soon.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Racer
    im using 70 and its still way too fast i think. Im going to give 100 a go next time i go lhs. You found that the heavy cage helped with tranction at all? I was thinking putting some weight on the front of the truck/chassis, just to help with them steep, hard to get over obsticals. ive noticed if there was some more weight up front it would get over even more. or maybe ive just reached its limits of climbing.

RC Champion
    im using 70 and its still way too fast i think. Im going to give 100 a go next time i go lhs. You found that the heavy cage helped with tranction at all? I was thinking putting some weight on the front of the truck/chassis, just to help with them steep, hard to get over obsticals. ive noticed if there was some more weight up front it would get over even more. or maybe ive just reached its limits of climbing.
    yes it does help with the slow stuff but at high speed it likes to tip easy.

you are on the right track though.putting weight up front and down low will help alot with climbing. i was looking for a steel front skid to help with that. its tough though. to much weight hurts the handling while going fast but helps while going slow. ya need to find a good happy medium... i havent.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted View Post
    ya need to find a good happy medium... i havent.
    yeah i hear ya there twisted. thats why i got myself a merv, in hope i dont get the urge to thrash the summit like i did the other day doing big jumps almost stripping another diff, only broke a diff bearing this time. Just cleaning the summit up now and doing a shock rebuild, going to give the glue in the hole ago. *thumbs up*

RC Champion
    yeah i hear ya there twisted. thats why i got myself a merv, in hope i dont get the urge to thrash the summit like i did the other day doing big jumps almost stripping another diff, only broke a diff bearing this time. Just cleaning the summit up now and doing a shock rebuild, going to give the glue in the hole ago. *thumbs up*
    just make sure no glue gets on the side of the piston. and also make sure that the hole is 100% glued shut.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
    Hi Twisted,

How tall are your tires and what pinion/spur gear combo are you using with them? Are the transmission gears flipped or stock?
    i will have to get back top you on a couple of things suck as tire height and pinion size as i dont know off the top of my head.

the tranny gears are flipped though and im running the stock spur. i plan on writing up my set up i just have been busy.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    i have been reading this thread for the past 2 hours and i honestly think i made my decision on what my next truck will be. seeing as how much potential the mini summit has and what i will be doing with it in the long run i will most likely do some of these mods/upgrades to it when i get it. thank you so much twisted for all the information you have given.

RC Racer
    i have no idea why this came to me know but i just realized that you said that when ever you run 2s the merv driveshafts don't hold up well i was just thinking i only run 2s and sense i switched to merv driveshafts i haven't had a single one break, nock on wood. Then i was thinking why is this what is different about our set ups to cause this to happen and thats when i realized its the rear a arms im running the rpms all the way around and i think it has something to do with it so reply what you think about this idea

RC Racer
    That could be it XJoeTheShowX, but he has a lot of extra weight to move around with that roll cage putting more stress on those shafts. Is the wheel base shorter on the RPM A arms? That would make sense to sense a telescoping pole for example gets more weak the more you extend it. Interesting thoughts Joe. I was wanting to start running some 2S lipo but know I wanna here what pans out here.

RC Racer
    yeah im not sure like you said it could be the roll cage but ive been hearing all over the place that the merv driveshafts dont hold up to 2s with the stock a arms so the rpms in the rear might be another way to help with the breaking driveshafts all the time.

RC poster
    Would you recommend any upgrades strait out of the box? Axles, springs, gearing?

RC Racer
    pjhuschka, Shim the diff's before you get any run time at all. The gears strip so easy on the mini summit. Even with one stock battery. Buying merv drive shafts would be a good idea so when you break a stock shaft your can replace it. The merv shafts hold up way better than the stock mini summit's and they fit pretty well to with no adjustments. A heat sink or a fan is also a good idea if you are gonna be running dual stock batteries or LiPo's. That little 380 Velineon get's pretty hot. Of course I can't have credit for these suggestions because I got them from other members. Thanks Twisted and JimmieNuetron.

RC Qualifier
    so did the merv shafts end up holding up okay in the summit? will they handle 2s lipo as its quite a bit faster than stock nimh.

RC Champion
    this truck is long gone. it was working fine with the merv shafts for me.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Enthusiast

Question

How did it turn out?

RC poster

RC poster
    They work great on my summit 1/16
    Full merv shaft