Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Stock Merve shafts are not so great.... I've gone through prob 8 of them.The yoke gives out or the pin that hold the wheel stud( I guess that's a good name for it)cuts the yoke apart. But they are cheap, and that's what I'm going to continue running untell something better comes around.

I also have broke 8 GPM steel shafts. But we all know they are junk. (I didn't when I bought them ). Good thing 4 of them where free replacments.
    Last edited by hav24wheel; 05-17-2011 at 05:12 AM.
    If it is unbreakable, I'll break it.

RC Champion
    Mine had the Traxxas CVDs, never bent/broke 1 and all I run is 2s/3s because its all I have for the 1/16 vehicles.
    Everything overpowered...

RC Champion
    at hav24wheel,what tires you running ? got to keep in mind the larger you go the more stress is on the driveline.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    They are a 3.52 inch tall "mud" tire from GPM in Traxxas 2.2 dish wheels.

So they are the same hight as the dirt hogs everyone runs oon the Merv.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hav24wheel View Post
    They are a 3.52 inch tall "mud" tire from GPM in Traxxas 2.2 dish wheels.

So they are the same hight as the dirt hogs everyone runs oon the Merv.

are they heavy ? i have yet to break a stock merv shaft on my summit but again im only running nimh.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Racer
    I ran mine today with the 3s lipo and I think the spider gears let go or something in the diff's... I pulled it down to right at the front and rear diff' and opened up the transmission and so far nothing looks chewed up so I'm betting it is inside the front or rear diff's . I think I'm just gonna stop running those lipo's.. they are insane fast but every time I break something.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted View Post
    are they heavy ? i have yet to break a stock merv shaft on my summit but again im only running nimh.
    Noo they are rather light. I have heard from a lot of people they they havee no issues with stock shafts.

Right now I have a MMP and a 5700 KV motor on mine running 2s in parallel. So it is kinda hard on things.

Infact, I need some new skins right now. Last night I had a blow out. (The pic was taken after I found the pieces of tiire. When itlet loose I was spinning donuts in thhe driveway)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnohio View Post
    I ran mine today with the 3s lipo and I think the spider gears let go or something in the diff's... I pulled it down to right at the front and rear diff' and opened up the transmission and so far nothing looks chewed up so I'm betting it is inside the front or rear diff's . I think I'm just gonna stop running those lipo's.. they are insane fast but every time I break something.
    Is it ticking, or what's it do?

RC Qualifier

Thats how I break the stockers... Broke that around same time I blew that tire...

RC Racer
    "Is it ticking, or what's it do? "

yep,, but not when I'm easy on the throttle .. It's only when I hammer on it and it gets a good bite and transfers the torque to the drive line. still haven't opened up the diff's yet to confirm my suspicion.. I'm waiting to get some 100k diff lock before so I can do it all at once

RC Qualifier
    I would be surprised if it was the spiders.... At least the first set I've seen...

RC Racer
    I would be surprised if it was the spiders.... At least the first set I've seen...
    first off I wanna apologize to twisted for jacking his thread.. Hopefully were not getting too off topic and still helping others out who reads this to try and bullet proof their rides...

What is usually the culprit when it does the ticking? if not the spiders

RC Qualifier
    9 times out of ten, its the ring and pinion, doesn't take much either..

RC Champion
    hey dont worry about hijacking the thread as long as we are getting something out of it, who cares.

the ticking could be a couple of things , well i have 3 in mind.
    1, most likely the ring and pinion.
    2, could be the spiders
    3, the pins that hold the driveshafts u joint on the diff shafts sometimes back out just a little and hit the bulkhead.

hvae24wheel, do you have pics of the tires on your truck at a different angle ?
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Racer
    Thanks man do they make a better ring and pinion that I can buy .. If I tear into it and it isn't the spiders, it may be the ring and pinion but just not showing any obvious signs of failure yet.. seeing that it is under extreme power is when it does the ticking..

Great more diff problems.. I went through this big time with my mini lst2 and got this to stay away from those issues .. I wonder if there is a shim that someone could remedy this on these diffs with...?

RC Champion
    Thanks man do they make a better ring and pinion that I can buy .. If I tear into it and it isn't the spiders, it may be the ring and pinion but just not showing any obvious signs of failure yet.. seeing that it is under extreme power is when it does the ticking..

Great more diff problems.. I went through this big time with my mini lst2 and got this to stay away from those issues .. I wonder if there is a shim that someone could remedy this on these diffs with...?
    theres a screw in the bulkhead that squeezes the pinion into the ring gear. make sure that is tight. the diffs on these trucks are alot stronger then the mini lst's
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Racer
    you know I bet that is what it is.. I remember when I had it tight it was spreading the bottom case apart and thought If I backed it out a bit it would be better.. I will crank that sucker down and I bet that will fix it.. Thanks man

RC Qualifier
    hvae24wheel, do you have pics of the tires on your truck at a different angle ?
    These r the ones.. http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...&cat_name=MINI 1/16 SUMMIT

Keep in mind they are a bit smaller than the stock Summit tire...

RC Champion
    These r the ones.. http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...&cat_name=MINI 1/16 SUMMIT

Keep in mind they are a bit smaller than the stock Summit tire...
    yea i wanted to see them on the truck
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    yea i wanted to see them on the truck

Its basically a Merv with a Summit body/bumpers on it....

RC Qualifier
    hey guys, truck is pretty cool, but is there much of a difference between the merv and summit? i mean, the summit is made more for crawling isnt it? my merv could go over that obstacle couse NO PROBLEM, and its super fast, i was thinking of getting a summit, but if my merv can do anything they can do, is it really worth it?

RC Racer
    well it wasn't the spider gears or the bolt.. or maybe the bolt let it have enough slack to strip a small spot on the ring gear in the rear.. I had it pulled apart to send the electrics off to Traxxas, So I decided to find out exactly what it was. after tearing the front and rear all apart and cleaning things up I could then see a low spot on the ring gear.. Ordering new ones right now.. while my electrics are away I have a plan to make it run with what I have till I get the parts back... i will post up on a separate thread when I get it back together... Thanks man for all your help

RC Champion
    wow, sorry guys for the delay and any updates. for some reason traxxas wouldnt let me log in....

any how, i ran the truck today and its time for some maintenance and ill try to get some pics up of the shape its in after some extensive beatings.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Champion
    ok so ill give ya a small update for tonight...

here is a shot of the tb racing skid plate for the rally car i used on my summit to help with the rocks. this is when it was brand new:

here it is now after about 30 ish packs :

it definitely helps with the rocks. the skid is a very hard plastic and helps the truck to slide across the rocks. the truck no longer gets hung up on rocks due to the channel in the stock chassis.

here is another pic, not all that great but it shows the wear on the stock arms from hitting the rocks.these are still the original arms and havent been replaced. they are now chipped and rounded on the edges.they are holding up great.

more to come.
    Last edited by twisted; 06-05-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Racer
    sweet that was a good investment.. next on my get list.. thanks for sharing

RC Champion
    sweet that was a good investment.. next on my get list.. thanks for sharing
    make sure you get the rally one. it comes with a rear bumper you wont need though.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Champion
    Where did you get the skid plate?

RC Champion
    from t bone racing
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Champion
    from t bone racing
    Directly from them or from another site?

Do you have a link?

RC Racer

Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    yup thats the one.

well i have some new parts coming in. after i noticed some slop in some key areas i decided it was time to get it out. new rpm pillow ball hubs and some bearings for the steering rack. i was gonna get some shocks but can not make my mid up as to what ones to get.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-12-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: merge
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    From experiance and word in the Merv section the RPMs are not a good choice for knuckles. Aluminum like HOUR are a better choice.

RC Champion
    From experiance and word in the Merv section the RPMs are not a good choice for knuckles. Aluminum like HOUR are a better choice.

whats wrong with them ? i have aluminum ones on my merv and have had some bad expereince with the HR ones.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    What issues have u had with them?

I swapped HRs on in place of RPMs.

My old RPM, wouldn't hold bearings very well, broke one pillow ball cup. Also, had issues keeping the pillow balls from popping out of them. They caused me more headaches than anything.

RC Champion
    the aluminum was threaded poorly from factory on one of them. i used gpm ones up front and are alot better. i know of a couple of others that had the same issues with the HR ones.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    Only issue I had with the HRs are the o ring "locks" for them broke.. But a nice coat of red lock tight to fill the gap that the o ring was in worked wonders.

But GPMs seem to have less issues from my readings

RC Champion
    heres a small update.

well the rear shocks were defiantly leaking :

so i celaned them up and refilled them. truck should handle alot better now. gonna have to replace them anyway...

the servo mod i done to water proof it with silicone is working great. i have had it totally submerged.

and for all the doubters that the stock merv shafts wont work..well in my case they do and they hold up better then the stock summit shafts. all the pin holes look like these two and there is no twisting...with that said iam running just a stock pack..

PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Qualifier
    Glad to see the Merv shafts are workin for ya. Wish mine would. Lol.

RC Champion
    Glad to see the Merv shafts are workin for ya. Wish mine would. Lol.

prolly working because im not running to much hp.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Racer
    yeah those Lipo's are night and day difference between the nimh packs.. well the ***** 3s packs anyway.. but so far they held up on mine better than the cvd's