RC Competitor

Tmaxx tuning issues

hey i just rebuilt my TRX 3.3 and i cant for the life of me get it to run right. The clutch might be done with... im not sure. Before i rebuilt it i think i burned it out doing doughnuts. When it accelerates, it takes a huge amount of throttle to get going and then it shoots out tons of blue smoke. it accelerates VERY slowly and won't really change gears. I tried leaning the LSN and a little on the HSN and it did very little. Many times when i let down on the throttle the engine stalls. I have no clue what to do. it might be the clutch... what do you think?
    Last edited by robbyt1994; 03-24-2011 at 02:40 PM.

RC Racer
    You may be correct with the worn out clutch shoes, stretched spring or even the clutch bell itself. I would pull it off and check it out. BTW Have you made sure the slipper nut is tight enough it doesnt slip while accelerating? I've heard of people loosing pads because of a loose slipper nut.

Quote Originally Posted by robbyt1994 View Post
    hey i just rebuilt my TRX 3.3 and i cant for the life of me get it to run right.
    Were you sure to install the piston in the correct direction during the rebuild?
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Competitor
    I made a mark on the piston head to make sure that i put it in the right way. I recently got a new clutch bell. I checked out the slipper and the nut is as tight as it can go but the gear still wobbles around. it might be slipping but i dont know how to tighten it more.

RC Racer
    The spur gear wobbles around? That doesnt sound good unfortunatley, I would check your bearings on your top shaft in your transmission. Have you ever pryed against the spur gear? Like when you were trying to remove the throttle linkage?

RC Competitor
    yea. i think that the spur gear is actually ok. Its not very loose. i just looked. I have a feeling its my clutch because a few days ago when i saw it it looked very worn out. Im going to try to tune it a little more and if i cant fix it that way i'll just get a new clutch and see if that fixes it

RC Champion
    when i first broke my tmaxx 3.3 in it was great and after a few runs it would run at a high rpm and wouldnt move very fast.. i called traxxas supprt and as it turns out its very common that ur slipper clutch will come lose well when i tightened it i noticed that it was also wobblin.. the problem was that it came loose enough to lose a friction pad and if thats the case you will want to not run it as you can cause a tranny issue so pull ur slipper apart and check to see if ur missin a pad plus it cant hurt and when it comes to ur slipper clutch dont over tighten and leave it that way.. tighten as much as you can safely and losen just less than 1/8 of a turn
    road rage its not just drivin its a blood sport

RC Competitor
    ok. i dont think theres any pads missing? should i just replace them?