RC Enthusiast

so cool, its stock

this is an update and suggestion thread for my traxxas slash. its a first gen two wheel drive, and doesnt have a ton of flair to it. but after three years, i finally convinced a couple of friends to get themselves some. turns out the NEW models have all the upgrades i have on mine STOCK... so my mud tires, 2.4 radio, charger, 7 cell and body (all adding up to about $350 extra) are now included in its base price. fun, huh?

anyway, im open to any low budget hopups you guys can provide, and would appretiate any feedback you can give

RC Enthusiast
    my next order of buisness is a fresh set of shocks (either big bore or some Pro lines) or a lipo.

RC Champion
    Need a new charger to if your going lipo. Also you can't go lipo if you have the older setup, they are not lipo compatible. Meaning the esc and motor are not able to.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Racer
    Besides some Proline Bow Ties w/Split Six Wheels, I've added a Dynamite front anti sway bar, moved the rear shocks out one hole, with a small pre-load clip added, added some more negative camber, and of course some venom lipos!
    Slash VXL 2wd Greg Adler
    Rustler VXL-5
    CRF 450 R

RC Racer
    The stock shocks are good enough. Save that $100 for a good lipo / charger combo. Here's what I would do, I would change the shock fluid to 50w for the front 60w in the rear. You can also pick up some two stage shock pistons from rpm. Also get a set of aluminum shock caps Traxxas PN #2667 , each bag has 2 and costs $7.

All of the shock stuff that I said is 14 for the caps around 8 for the shock fluid and 7 for the pistons. A little over $30

And if you want to go Lipo its highly suggested to have an esc with low voltage cut off. And you'll probably want to go brushless. You can save some money by using the traxxas power up, trade in the XL-5 esc + the Titan 12T for the vxl-3s esc and Sensorless Brushless Motor (I think its a 3300 kv 10T?) for under $150.

ALSO its a big one and its for the transmission your going to need traxxas PN #2388X its the part number for the metal toothed planetary gear diff. The plastic ringed gear diff can't take brushless abuse. this ones $15.

RC Enthusiast
    i like the idea, but keep in mind Im trying to make mine into a trophy truck. so Im going to need long shock travel, as well as a low gear. as for the custom shocks, do they have any advantages over the big bores besides price?

RC Racer
    There is a difference , weight. Big bores and Prolines weigh more. If your interested in making a 2wd paperweight I can help with that too, LOL j/k

Honestly, its all how you dial them in for what you want to do. try the shock oils first, if they are too heavy go lighter or change pistons , you should have 1, 2, 3, and 4 hole pistons. the stock ones from the factory have 2's installed . go up in # if your truck is squating to heavy. Down in # if your truck is squating to light.

just thought this. you could probably put rear shocks shafts in the front, they are longer. You could use some nitro fuel line on the shock shaft to make bump stops . or go 1/8th scale for shocks.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by LessthanMetal View Post

just thought this. you could probably put rear shocks shafts in the front, they are longer. You could use some nitro fuel line on the shock shaft to make bump stops . or go 1/8th scale for shocks.
    that is what i am going to do.
    this form is so helpful.
    (___) This is Bunny.
    (+'.'+)
    (")_(")

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LessthanMetal View Post
    There is a difference , weight. Big bores and Prolines weigh more. If your interested in making a 2wd paperweight I can help with that too, LOL j/k

Honestly, its all how you dial them in for what you want to do. try the shock oils first, if they are too heavy go lighter or change pistons , you should have 1, 2, 3, and 4 hole pistons. the stock ones from the factory have 2's installed . go up in # if your truck is squating to heavy. Down in # if your truck is squating to light.

another good idea, but either way i think im going to be spending a LOT of time at my local hobytown

oh, and ill be bashing: so im not exactly measuring my truck in grams

RC Enthusiast
    ok, i feel like im the only one talking now, but i was also wondering if anyone has the pro-line powerstrokes. they are REALY pricey, but i hear they are worth it in the streights

RC Qualifier
    I'm not sold on the performance to cost ratio of the power-strokes. I would suggest the big-bores, tested tries and true...great shocks. Or do as LessthanMetal suggested. Ultimately the choice is yours and what your wallet allows.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rugruner View Post
    I'm not sold on the performance to cost ratio of the power-strokes. I would suggest the big-bores, tested tries and true...great shocks. Or do as LessthanMetal suggested. Ultimately the choice is yours and what your wallet allows.
    its true, im broke. looks like im going to have to get the bigbores. unless my hobby store has ALL the parts i need for the scratch built ones; im not willing to go through all that much trouble for these.

RC poster
    Hey i have a question, about the traxxas power up deal, do i need to cantact traxxas or can i go through my local hobby shop?