RC poster

Question in Deployment (help needed)

hi all, hope i am not upsetting anyone with this thread. I am new to the RC world, and have a Slayer 3.3 (Nitro) which my family has sent to me here on Deployment (Afghanistan). the problem is, we can't get Nitro here and can't be sent to us, and since I have another 14 months to go on deployment i wanted to get your kind input and recommendations, in details (since i am a newbie ) what i would require to get to convert my Nitro vehicle into a completely Electro running vehicle. (items and parts required, engine, batteries, charger and anything else?)
    thank you all, god bless you and best regards
    rocafella1978

RC Racer
    first, thanks for doing what you are doing out there !
    just search this forum for keyword "eslayer"
    http://outlawrccrawlers.createaforum.com/index.php

RC Qualifier
    I was in Iraq for a year and couldn't get my Revo mailed to me cause we were moving around so much it would have taken 6 months for it to find me. So I feel your pain brother. A couple guys had their family members buy the fuel at home, then pour the fuel into a listerine bottle and ship it that way. You have to think like you're in prison to get the stuff you REALLY need! Like Nitro fuel! Muahahaha! Stay safe over there! 323MP Co Toledo OH!
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC Racer
    Not at all. C'mon in and chill. A conversion I wouldn't think would be too easy for someone new to the hobby, but if you're set on doing some wrenching, I'd recommend just get a 1/10 brushless E-revo: Everything you need for the conversion is there. Specifically the ERevo chassis and parts, Erevo single-speed transmission, Erevo center driveshafts, brushless system, batteries, and charger. Good luck, have fun with the RC. Hope this is some help. Thanks for serving and stay safe.

RC poster

E-Slayer

Hey guy, Thank you for being where you are.

That aside. I've done my own Conversion from Slayer to E-Slayer Personally. I actually Converted a Slayer Pro to E-Slayer Pro. If you have a regular Slayer, It's a little smaller and possibly MUCH more expensive to Convert with 3rd party options.

If you convert the small Slayer cheap way, the truck will be longer and may not turn out right.
    The Longer Slayer Pro is a cakewalk conversion.

So Let me give ya a little run down on the basic needs for a Slayer Pro

Ebay is your best bet here. And here's why.
    - The Transmission in the current Slayer is a two speed that will not give you reverse and the electric motor doesn't need a first gear. You'd lock it out and convert it to reverse. It's complicated and uneccessary. Buy a E-revo brushless or Summit Tranny from Ebay. If you don't buy it second hand, you have to piece the transmission together. It's costly. A tranny will buy out on Ebay for around 50.00.
    - The Chassis. For a Slayer Pro, is identical in size to an E-revo Brushless. Again, You'd have to piece together a chassis from multiple parts. Buy out a Chassis on Ebay for about 20 bucks.

Ebay Aside:
    - You'll need a motor, Suggestions go through the roof for that, obviously. That's your preference. The Castle Creations Mamba Max SCT edition is great. But spendy at 220.00
    - Motor Mount
    - Spur Gear - I believe a 32p, 68t gear is stock.
    - Batteries - Any 2 cell Lipo battery over 25C. 4wd needs punch.
    - Charger - Any Lipo charger. I'm sure they can suggest
    - Driveshafts for the new Chassis. The tranny is upfront instead of closer to the rear on a E-revo chassis. These are cheap. (E-revo parts exploded views)

On the Flip side, An original Slayer is a tough one, Because you need a motor conversion kit which is 90.00 alone. You can reuse the chassis but the problem is the weight for an electric motor is you don't get a larger more expensive one. Most go to a graphite chassis for weight and that's about 120.00.

I know this is scatterbrained but lemme know for sure what you have, and I can lay it out for you a little more smoothly from there.

RC Racer
    Thank you for what you do so we can have a hobby like this....i agree with WH20 and say the listerene bottle is and excellent idea....unless ya just really want to wrench and experiment...i know if i have any more engine problems after i get mine back from Traxxas then i will be converting to E Slayer pro also...haver done alot of research and seems fairly do abble..any way good luck and hope u get to run the tires off that Slayer.
    You can get with dis or you can get with dat

RC Champion
    Iraq (zaf and hammer) 8 months Afghanistan (Salerno and Jbad)16 months, the rc cars are a nice little get away from the stuff that can go on there. I would say mail back the slayer and enjoy it when you get back. Order an erbe some batteries and a charger and have fun. Running a nitro can be done but getting the parts you need will take for ever, esp when you pop 4 glow plugs in a tank then split your con rod.

Here is a great step by step to turn a slayer to a eslayer if you so chose to.
    Last edited by insanity; 03-25-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA

RC poster
    hi all, thank you all for your replies and feedback, so much appreciated. it seems though, after reading all the posting and messages to me, that changing to the eSlayer will run about $ 500 min to about $ 1000 depending on the parts chosen. i am thinking of selling the NITRO or sending back to my younger brother back home, and getting myself a new vehicle which is already Electric for my deployment time.
    what would you all recommend getting for a new electric vehicle? thanks again to all of you for the rich input, expertise and being so responsive to newbies ) *** JTO SPG - AFG ***

RC Qualifier
    Iraq had terrible sand. Like, I hated walking anywhere cause it was that bad. So I would suggest getting something 4WD. I would love to have had my Revo over there. I suggest the ERevo or EMaxx. Bigger tires for the sand, if Afg has sand like Iraq. Or the new Stampede 4WD. Def something 4x4.
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC Champion
    I say an erevo brushless edition.

RC Enthusiast
    I am currently in Kuwait, so I know a little about what you are going thru. I think you would be happy with anything that has 4WD. Which ever one you decide to get, remember to get a few spare parts. Each vehicle has it's own "weak link" parts that seem to break more often. Check the forum for the model you decide to get and then order the extras for that truck. Also, consider getting some extra gears. I seem to strip both pinions and spurs for the first couple weeks until I get comfortable setting the gear mesh.

I hope this helps you. Keep safe and enjoy which ever truck you decide to get.
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, E-Slayer Pro 4x4

RC Champion
    Little PM note WD40 in Afghanistan will be a horible idea, check out ACF50 or Mooslick. Here is what mooslick can do watch it all.

RC poster
    A brushless e revo + a outerwear cover + some good off-road tires(I like pro-line Mashers), and you'll have more fun that you can imagine.

RC Racer
    I think a summit or mini summit would be perfect out there. And as for moo slick, I use it on all my rc's and so far it's the best stuff i've used! Can't wait to get my buggy/truggy to the outdoor track while using moo slick to really put the lube through it's paces.
    Mini Summit / Rally

RC poster
    im bagram....