RC Qualifier

ESC questions and problems

Hey everyone.
    I have a Merv, and its great! I got it for christmas, and my esc just went about a week ago. Its in gettin fixed right now, but I was wondering if this is something that is going to break frequently, because they are not cheap! lol
    Im running 2 traxxas series 1 batteries. If so, is there any way of avoiding this problem in the future? I took everyones advice on the upgrades and got all the rpm knuckes and a-arms and aluminum body mounts. Any one have any answers for me?

RC Champion
    Are you using the 'speed' pinion? There are reliable alternatives, some waterproof(LRP NEXXT 4X) and some non-waterproof(CC Sidewinder SV2). It's up to you.

RC Qualifier
    if you watch your temps of the esc and motor and keep them away from around 170 you will be fine and they wont break. you can buy a temp gauge at you lhs and ajust your gearing acording to your temps.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys, but can you put it in laymons terms? I dont know any of this technical mumbo jumbo, lol what do you mean change my gears? it came with the little gear thingie for 50 mph, but i dont have the connector for 50 mph. what do i do? lol should i get a fan or something? will that even work? so many questions, so little time. i dont know much about them, i just got it for a gift and got addicted. its my first rc

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you should have a speed motor pinion that came with the truck in a separate bag, it is recommended to install it if you are going to run batt in series.

RC Qualifier
    Im not running them for the 50 mph if thats what your saying, i just have the batteries setup for the longer run time. what difference does it make if i put it in? would that make it slower starting off and faster high speeds? or does it make any noticable difference?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by willy911 View Post
    Thanks guys, but can you put it in laymons terms? I dont know any of this technical mumbo jumbo, lol what do you mean change my gears? it came with the little gear thingie for 50 mph, but i dont have the connector for 50 mph. what do i do? lol should i get a fan or something? will that even work? so many questions, so little time. i dont know much about them, i just got it for a gift and got addicted. its my first rc
    I HIGHLY suggest you get a temp gun, to keep an eye on yer motor/esc temps. There is no set gearing to stay safe. Everyone runs there vehicles differently, the ONLY way to stay in a safe temp range is to monitor yer temps, and change the gearing accordingly. If the motor/esc are getting hot, put in a smaller pinion, or larger spur gear.

RC Qualifier
    whats the gear thing that came with it? is that a pinion or gear? and how much is a temperature guage?
    and im in canada lol

RC Qualifier
    There are 2 gears that can easily be changed. The pinion gear is the one that attaches to the motor. The spur gear is the one the pinion gear contacts and makes goes to the tranny, and makes the car move. you can get an infrared temp gun for around $30, and it will be the best investment you will make if your gonna get into this hobby. Check these out... http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...f01a95353e1206

Did you get it new? Did you read the manual? The pinion that came with it is a gear. Pinion=gear. A decent gauge is the Duratrax found at Tower for around $25.
    I also think you are confusing everyone by saying that you have two batteries connected in series (which ups the power but keeps the run time the same) but then later you said that you have the batteries set up for longer run time which is parallel.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    cool thanks