RC Enthusiast

Anyone used this lowering kit?

Found this on ebay. Noboody in the K.B. forum has used it yet. This is much broader forum tho. Anyone have luck witgh this? Suprised it took so long for someone to do this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160561174529

Why lower it? Isn't it already low enough?
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    why is everything i post getting deleted?

RC Qualifier
    Stiffer springs would be good, but unless these are too long, the Ralliestastang's ride-height can be set right down to the ground by dialing back the preload. If the price were about half, these would be a reasonable buy for 10lb R/C springs, imo. I wonder if these are any different than what one could find at a hardware store...
    The prototype project.

RC Enthusiast
    Not sure about that. I wish the car came with a droop screw setting though. I run x-patterns and the car has a very high cog and tends to flip. Without moddind the motor location lower, this is my only option to get the car lower. When I dial back the preload it flips even easier because of the unsprung droop. Maybe a sway bar kit would eliminate that.

RC Enthusiast
    @jono, I also posted this in the KB forum and management deleted the rally post for "double posting"

RC Qualifier
    ohhhh well i guess i posted it there then :P

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Why lower it? Isn't it already low enough?
    That's what I'm thinking too... I guess with very stiff springs and a very flat smooth surface it would be good
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Isn't it already low enough?
    no way it is not.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozpall View Post
    no way it is not.
    Yeah I agree, I think it could go at least a 1/4 inch lower to help it stay planted. All the touring cars Ive run have been less than 1/4 inch ground clearance and I would love to find a way to make this car a decent touring car as well. I think the GTR shocks with this kit, belted x-patterns and 35 weight shock oil is the ticket. We will see. Oh, and RPM knuckles of course!
    Last edited by Nismomike; 03-19-2011 at 11:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Pretty sure I just seen the same springs at ace hardware for like $.90 and those "limiters" are nothing but O rings from a shock rebuild kit. Save yerself the money and do yer own "kit"

RC Enthusiast

Angry

Just got my "kit" in the mail today. I will let you know how well it turns out. I noticed after I ordered it that its listed for $12.50 now with free shipping. $5 less than I paid.

RC Qualifier
    Yea, saw that... Half considering picking up the set as I've checked several local hardware stores and haven't found the 9/16 x 3/4 springs necessary...

Nismo, what's the length on those "kit" springs?
    The prototype project.

RC Enthusiast
    Okay so I understand the reason for the shock limiters. The springs are 1.125 inches long. Width is 9/16 though. The ground clearance under the front skid plate is 10mm and under the rear skid plate is 12mm. But the car is at its max when it sets. No droop. This thing is stiff! It takes as much pressure to push the car down as my 1/10 touring car with 12.5lb springs. With this stiff of spring I like having the rubber shock limiters. @tha-mule, they actually aren't o-rings, they are flat on both sides with a rounded outter edge and the center is straight cut. I messured with my calipers and the O.D. is .0015 smaller than the shock body. Installationthe rears were easy, the fronts were a little harder because their is not much room to sqeeze the lower spring cup back into. But other than that it was simple. Driving! First thing I noticed was how close I can mount the body to the tires without rubbing. The rears are tucking and the fronts are even with the fender. Love the new stance! No matter how hard I hit the brakes or turned, no rubbing. I am using X-pattern radials on stock Traxxas rally wheels and 2s 1800 lipo on driverside with 35 weight losi shock oil and RPM carriers. Much easier to keep on its roof than before. I dont see any body lean, and yet it does not bounce when it hits bumps. Seems like a good spring. Wish it was 1/8 or 1/16th in. lower still, but I can deal with this. So even though I got screwed out of $5, still happy. It was worth it for me because I like to show of my cars on the shelf in my house, and now I dont have to load and unload the preloads on the shocks to look good sitting and drive good too. IMO,it looks mean and drives better.

RC Qualifier
    Nice review. I just installed my sway bars. If im still not happy with the ride I'm goin to try out the springs from ace I picked up. Can you post a pic or 3 of yer car with and with out the body?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Last edited by Nismomike; 03-23-2011 at 11:21 PM.

RC Enthusiast

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the writeup. 1.25 sounds a little overkill... that's longer than most Slash springs (standard Greens are 7/8" long). I suppose if you're running stiff springs, you'll need the limiters anyway... there ought to be a way to keep some height-adjustability and pre-load.

Agreed, tho, stiffer springs are going to help a lot with road performance. Nice to have more options out there...

Tha-mule, how long are the ACE springs? I checked Home Depot, Orchard, Lowes for similar and nothing at any of them... Don't recall seeing any springs at the local (smallish) ACE so will have to trek out to the next town for the proper store.
    Last edited by prototyp; 03-23-2011 at 11:30 PM.
    The prototype project.

RC Qualifier
    Nice. Any way I could talk you into one of how much preload you have on the springs? I bought a bunch of different springs to try and would like to get as close to what you have as I can get to start with. Thanks for the pics.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
    Thanks for the writeup. 1.25 sounds a little overkill... that's longer than most Slash springs (standard Greens are 7/8" long).

Anyway, agreed, stiffer springs are going to help a lot with road performance. Nice to have more options out there...

Tha-mule, how long are the ACE springs? I checked Home Depot, Orchard, Lowes for similar and nothing at any of them... Don't recall seeing any springs at the local (smallish) ACE so will have to trek out to the next town for the proper store.
    I bought several. The ones I intend on using first are comin out to 1.110 on my calipers. I also got some that are like 3" that I was plannin on cutting to length. I'll post a pic in a minute.

RC Qualifier
    How's this?

RC Qualifier
    Fwiw, an idea I'm working on is to use shorter rockers on the front to get a higher ratio of shock to wheel travel. The long rockers are great for the trucks with lots of travel, but for road use we're not utilizing most of the shock's capabilities. My theory is that with a "close ratio" rocker setup you'll get more subtle control. I have to get and shorten a set of front rockers before I can test it out on the road tho.
    The prototype project.

RC Qualifier
    How's the stiffness on that 1.1" spring?

The second longest one looks very similar in coil and wire to the Green Traxxas spring...
    The prototype project.

RC Enthusiast
    This is what was in the kit. Came in a padded envelope. And these are my babies.

RC Enthusiast
    @tha-mule. I will check the spring rate at work tomorrow. Ive got some tools to messure the lb pressure.

RC Qualifier
    The 1.1" springs are a little stiffer then the stock green ones that came on my merv, and those are a little stiffer then the stock green ones for the rally. I would say the difference between the green merv ones and the green rally ones is about the same step up in stiffness as the ace springs to the merv springs. If that makes sense? So in a stiffness comparison it would go stock rally (bein the softest) then the stock merv. Then the ace. Make sense?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismomike View Post
    @tha-mule. I will check the spring rate at work tomorrow. Ive got some tools to messure the lb pressure.
    Sweet! Thanks man. Wish I had access to something like that.

RC Enthusiast
    My preload is completely backed off. Still has a decent amount of travel. Just a very firm window of travel.

RC Enthusiast
    @tha mule, I dont want to take the shock apart to messure the spring, but the total spring rate of the car is 14.275 lbs from the balanced center point and stays consistant throughout the travel of the suspension till the last 1/4 of travel where it goes up to 14.825 before bottoming out. My touring car is about 25% higher.

RC Qualifier
    Any pointers on how a guy could test this at home?

RC Enthusiast
    Hmmm, thats gonna be tough. I work in an aerospace machine shop and we have digital balance scales for weighing components. I put everything on the car "lipo and body with clips" place the car on the scale table, then the scale transmits a laser point onto the compnent giving the location of center of balance. Then I control the speed and depth of how the shaft comes down on that spot and presses down in that C.O.B. location. I mounted a flat plate to the bottom of the shaft to keep from crushing the body. Then it reads like a scale to the .0000, and tracks the min max. If I had to replicate this at my home I would buy 4 digi scales and use an auto press. Then press around in a general C.O.B. area until I got very close readings on the 4 scales, then bring down the press in small increments and check the readings. Not worth the trouble, but good info to have for comparison if you have the means. Hope that helps.

RC Qualifier
    WOW! That sounds pretty in depth! lol. sounds like you got a pretty cool job. I'm a Union Boilermaker. We do some pretty cool stuff, but nothin like that. haha. But I know what you mean with the 4 digi scale thing. I have been to a few auto cross events where they do something similiar, but with full size cars. Thanks for all the info btw. Much appreciated!

RC Enthusiast
    If I can ever find time I'd like to machine some custom parts out of billet. Rockers or maybe drive shafts on the lathe. I'll post picks once I do.........

RC Racer
    I still think that achieving some suspension actuation and a firm/low ride and cog would be simply achieved by getting traxxas' stiffest springs and using say 60wt shock oil. I am running 60wt with the stock springs and that eliminated my roll overs in hard fast cornering almost entirely. I also run 60wt in my mini revo with the heaviest springs to take the abuse of constant jumping and fast cornering on an offroad carpet setup. So with the setup you ordered, it sounds like the perfect onroad only setup. Have you encountered any ruts or bumps to see if anything throws the car off while doing speed runs or high speed cornering?
    Mini Summit / Rally

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eurofocus View Post
    I still think that achieving some suspension actuation and a firm/low ride and cog would be simply achieved by getting traxxas' stiffest springs and using say 60wt shock oil. I am running 60wt with the stock springs and that eliminated my roll overs in hard fast cornering almost entirely. I also run 60wt in my mini revo with the heaviest springs to take the abuse of constant jumping and fast cornering on an offroad carpet setup. So with the setup you ordered, it sounds like the perfect onroad only setup. Have you encountered any ruts or bumps to see if anything throws the car off while doing speed runs or high speed cornering?
    I take all my cars to a very flat closed parking lot, used to be a costco and got repaved right before it closed. So not sure about ruts and stuff throwing it off, but once I put this kit on it and HPI X-pattern radials, no more traction rolls. Using 6mm offset wheels as well. Love the set up. Beats my brushless TC4 around the track every time.