RC Enthusiast

Has Traxxas Addressed Spartan Issues yet?

Well spring is around the corner and I would like to know if Traxxas has addressed any of the problems the Spartan has? It is kinda obvious that there is a cooling problem and an esc problem on quite a few if not the majority.

The only thing I see posted is them repairing or replacing components. What about an actual Traxxas official approved fix for all stock customers?

Personally I will be going new esc (******* 180), new aluminum cooling jacket, new bigger cooling lines, dual cooling inlets/outlets. I think I will be fine running the stock motor and prop for now but will have the option of changing with the new esc installed. I definitely want it to be bullet proof or as close to it as possible when I hit the water in a month or so.

Thoughts/comments?

RC Racer
    go with tho flow mate, if things fry send them back im sure they will get replaced. i just could not have been bothered only because im in Australia when my boat caught fire. would of been nice to atleast get the hull replaced. but to late now i have cut holes in it. o_0
    <there's 1 Infraction to much friction yeah o yeah

RC Qualifier
    Hard to say exactly what Traxxas is doing to fix the known problems, they aren't providing us any details.

The next release of Spartans to distributors/retailers has been delayed until the end of April, so we are all waiting to see if the next release has any updates.

For the time being it is still wait and see.

Kevin

I have no idea what future production might bring. There are some simple things you can do to make sure it does not overheat, especially with higher voltage batteries. Make sure the water jacket is centered on the motor can. Check to see if the water cooling line is tucked in beside the receiver box. If it is then it can be re-routed for better cooling flow. Pull out the line, disconnect it from the speed control, trim off 3/4” (19mm) of the line and reinstall it on the speed control. This will remove any possible cooling flow restriction. To get better water flow at the rudder, use a round “rat tail” file and make a small half-moon shape in the leading edge of the rudder at the water inlet hole. The “half moon” only needs to be as large as the inlet hole in the rudder.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Qualifier
    has traxxas said anything official about this issue yet? I want to buy a spartan but not with these issues.. And I can't afford to drop a new system in a new boat right away
    erbe
    dewalt summit
    merv

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by aikin View Post
    has traxxas said anything official about this issue yet? I want to buy a spartan but not with these issues.. And I can't afford to drop a new system in a new boat right away
    No they haven't, and I am waiting on my 3rd motor. They've had it for 2 months, and support says they don't know how long it will be until they get more in. 2 - 5 minute runs, 2 motors, in 3 months, I can't return it and they don't now when they will be able to fix it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    A Spartan V2 would be killer!
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by filmmaker View Post
    A Spartan V2 would be killer!

We're already on V4

Maybe they'll get it right with V5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoVW72 View Post

We're already on V4

Maybe they'll get it right with V5
    UHHHHHH it's still the same one bro...
    First MiniSlash
    HK6XL Revo 4s 60mph Amsoil dealer

RC Racer
    Really
    The boat in my hands isn't a carbon copy of the one in the gallery.
    Nor the VXL-6s with out the cap bulge.
    Nor the new "half moon" rudder:

V1: what we've seen
    V2: ESC
    V3: what we got
    V4: rudder/ teflon liner
    V5: rumors of new motors/escs, but I know what should be done

A "V2" would be nice, but that would imply that there's a problem in the first place

RC poster
    I've been waiting for over a month for my motor/esc to be replaced. I'm not holding my breath.
    However, I hope the replacements won't be the same junk.
    In the meantime, I've installed a seaking 180a esc and leopard motor in mine. I will finally get to try it out this weekend.

RC poster
    Bought the Spartan, went through two receivers in a couple of hours. Traxxas says they will replace one of the receivers as a "courtesy". Warranty is invalid. If you want to spend $600 for a few minutes of fun go ahead but Traxxas will NOT stand behind their products. Just called them for the umpteenth time and now they say they did not get the receipt (it was included in the package).

FYI- service guy says only way to prevent damage is to completely encase receiver "Waterproof" unit in heavy duty marine grease. In other words, the Waterproof casement is anything but waterproof. A complete waste of $600.

RC Enthusiast
    Great experience with Traxxas support. I have yet to find another company that stands behind their products like they do. Had an issue with my Spartan radio and it was taken care of immediately. As far as receipts go, I emailed them a picture of mine.

RC Qualifier
    I have had the same experience as FearSys RN. Fantastic costumer support.