RC Qualifier

Whats your opnion on this car?

I currently have a Bandit VXL set up for street bashing and since I am getting birthday money soon I want to buy another vehicle. I want to have one sreet car and one off road car. I was thinking about converting my Bandit into a stadium ready Rustler (seeing $70 in parts and one afternoon will get this done very easily) and purchasing a Ken Block Rally for my sreet bashing vehicle.

Can someone who owns this car give me your opinion on it? Obviously I will mod it up to 50mph but some people in the other threads are telling me this car gets boring very quickly. I have a lot of people telling me to keep my Bandit as is and buy an E Revo for off roading...

Any opinions?
    Rustler VXL
    Two Slash 4x4 VXL's
    Spartan Boat

RC Qualifier
    Not boring, but I guess it depends on how you want to play.

I'm a massive road-racing fan, love WRC, even Baja... but don't find motocross/stadium/jumping stuff interesting much at all. The Ralliestastang™ is obviously not a rock crawler, or a big-scale go-anywhere don't need driving skills rig... It's quick, very nimble, very tunable, and very responsive. Running courses on pavement, concrete, dirt paths, in the rain ... with only a tire swap and maybe longer shocks for rough stuff, I'm having a blast on all of it. I could have gone Tamiya TT-01 but the smaller size of the Traxxas makes it even more versatile. HPI's Cup Racers are beautiful, but wouldn't even make it over the little curb between my driveway and the street. And I dig Traxxas' 1/16 merv chassis design...

This car makes high-ish performance R/C fun accessible everywhere.

Last edited by prototyp; 03-17-2011 at 12:35 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks... yea Im more of a road racing fan myself but I figure if I have 2 vehicles I want them to be as different as possible. I used to have a nitro Truck and it was a blast in the snow and off bmx jumps some kids made in the woods by my house so I think I would want at least one vehicle capable of doing that if I owned two. I really want to get one of these Ken Block Fiestas but I have to decide what to do with my street version Bandit. I love making these things as quick as possible and with two vehicles, one topping out at 70 and the other at 50, I would probably just continue to use the Bandit if left as is. I found a parts list in one of these forums with directions on how to convert a Bandit into a Rustler so Im seriously contemplating doing that and buying the Rally.

How tough is the Rally? It shows that it actually can be driven on dirt... and how quickly do the tires wear out? I have the Anaconda tires on my Bandit I feel like Im swapping out the rear ones everyother week its terrible...
    Rustler VXL
    Two Slash 4x4 VXL's
    Spartan Boat

RC Qualifier
    This is my only R/C so it's got to be able to handle everything I want to do with it... I've taken mine off-road quite a bit (swap in modified Slash shocks – longer, softer – and put on grippy tires)... haven't chased off the BMXers at the track yet, but will do soon to see how the Rally can hop there. With this setup, the Rally is basically a Slash, which is a great little offroad truck.

It is tough... I snagged a divot from a missing road reflector while drifting at high speed and put my Rally into a full 20 foot tumbling cartwheel which included launching itself off its nose up into the air 3 or 4 feet. Also had some nice barrel-rolls while learning about suspension tuning. Some dudes here have crashed their LiPo-fueled rockets into light poles at 50+ mph, that generally doesn't turn out well, but I haven't broken anything yet.

Maintenance is prolly standard RC stuff... Have to tune out some slop in the suspension periodically, RPM hubs are a good first upgrade (adjustable pillow-ball tension). VXL motor and electrics are faultless. There's a fresh flow of new parts out for this chassis, too, so you can go nuts upgrading till your wallet collapses.

Can't speak to the Block's slicks, but the Rally's tires are soft enough to be a little grippy and hard enough to slide around. Mine seem to be wearing pretty well, tread's worn on the inner edges but my suspension was pretty out of whack at first (way too much camber, gnarly toe out). Prolly have to change em out later this year but they're not the only wheelset I have. I also run HPI X's for offroad and grip pavement driving. Those have a couple months on them now and they're fine... maybe 80% tread left. I like to run a pack a day, bit more on the weekends. I have Traxxas Nitro 4Tec grip slicks are coming soon for speed runs as I'm thinking about getting a LiPo pack but want to get my aero parts done before then.
    Last edited by prototyp; 03-17-2011 at 01:14 PM.