Thread: Glow plug day

RC Racer

Glow plug day

Anyone have any ideas as to why I went through 3 glow plugs tonight. One right after the other. You can see the wire deformed inside the plug. I had the original in for half gallon of gas with no issues.
    Engine temping out at 243 degrees max, plugs slightly wet when removed like they should be.

Is this normal?

RC poster
    ya you are probably to rich when i started I went through glow plugs as fast as you to then I leaned it out and now each plug last maybe a week, using it each day. remember turn it right/clockwise to lean it out and left/counterclockwise to richen

Tear the engine apart to see if there is debris inside. Deformed plug wires are an indication.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Tear the engine apart to see if there is debris inside. Deformed plug wires are an indication.
    I am afraid your right....it's almost like something is exploding up inside the plug. I am not running rich....that I know.
    I read that distorted wires are a sign of a too lean condition. Double is prob right, I returned to factory settings and still am burning through them.
    Last edited by larlev; 03-15-2011 at 07:38 AM.

RC Racer
    Well here is a pic of damage. There is little bits of metal or whatever all over the top of the head. Everything moves OK with no grinding or binding. I'm not sure where this stuff came from. I clean out the glow plug area with wd and compressed air before removing plug every time. I hope Traxxas helps with this. I've only had this thing for a few weeks and not even ran a gallon through it yet.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...arlev/head.jpg
    Last edited by larlev; 03-15-2011 at 08:50 AM.

RC Racer
    I also found the connecting rod gouged and the wall gouged as well. Looks like the debris could have been in the crank before I did anything. There is no way a plug could have caused all this damage. It's packaged and shipping off...I swear, I have had many, many problems with this truck. Granted customer support has been great...but they need some QA help.