RC Racer

battery question

can anyone clarify

i am currently running stock 7 cell nimh 8.4 volts...and the car has X amount of power and X amount of speed

what is going to happen if i run a 2S lipo more speed more power? Is it true that a 2S is only 7.2 volts?

thanks so much thinking about switching from nimh to lipo

RC Champion
    First its 7.4 volts =D
    I got a 2s lipo and noticed it is faster than stock included 7 cell, same top speed as good quality 7 cell. But did better wheelies and had better handling due to the much lighter weight. It it only 7.4 volts but has the same fresh off the charger kick to the second LVC kicks in so it is actually in a way faster than the 7 cell after the 7 cell is half dead.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Racer
    thanks man.....are you saying that there are alot better 7 cell packs that i could buy? does mah affect much besides run time? i think that traxxas makes a 7 cell that is 4200 mah...would that change anything or only runtime?

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN SPEED. View Post
    First its 7.4 volts =D
    I got a 2s lipo and noticed it is faster than stock included 7 cell, same top speed as good quality 7 cell. But did better wheelies and had better handling due to the much lighter weight. It it only 7.4 volts but has the same fresh off the charger kick to the second LVC kicks in so it is actually in a way faster than the 7 cell after the 7 cell is half dead.

RC Champion
    A 2s lipo comes of the charger ready to run at 8.4v 7.2 is the nominal voltage. when purchasing nimh batteries look for data about the individual cells, such as the actual cell voltage the higher the better. also make sure the internal resistance is relatively low compared to other batteries. Also make sure that all 7 cells are close spec wise, this helps the battery charge and discharge evenly, a pack with unmatched cells can either heat up excessively and burn out in maybe half the charge cycles, or it can be a dud from the get go. If the manufacturer doesnt even list these specs, then move on.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC poster
    Unsure about what stampede you are talking about but if its the 4x4 VXL then it most certainly is 8.4 volts.
    Current: Pede 4x4 VXL
    Old & Stolen: Nitro RS4 3

RC Champion
    Lipo:
    4.20v = 100%
    4.03v = 76%
    3.86v = 52%
    3.83v = 42%
    3.79v = 30%
    3.70v = 11%
    3.6?v = 0%

Capacity below 3.7v "resting" is not usable, it's where the battery voltage dump begins.

Discharge curves > http://access.time.angelfire.com/bat...t_data_01.html
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.