Thread: LiFe 1050 Packs

RC Champion

Question LiFe 1050 Packs

Has anybody tried these:

http://maxamps.com/proddetail.php?pr...050-99&cat=221

in their MERV?

They look really nice and they should be able to get around 40+ mph. Fast charging at 15 amps will charge in less than 20 minutes? Has anybody tried this?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by E-RevoVXL View Post
    Has anybody tried these:

http://maxamps.com/proddetail.php?pr...050-99&cat=221

in their MERV?

They look really nice and they should be able to get around 40+ mph. Fast charging at 15 amps will charge in less than 20 minutes? Has anybody tried this?
    I run the standard LiPo 3S packs from MaxAmps and really enjoy it. If I may ask, why are you thinking about the LiFe packs? It should also be noted that the Hyperion charger which comes with this kit, while awesome, can only charge at 6 amps max.

RC Champion
    I heard that the charger that comes with the RTR LiFe pack can charge 15C for LiPo and LiFe.

RC Qualifier
    I have that charger and it has a 6 amps max. You will need a much more powerful charger for 15 amps
    Slash 4x4
    E-Revo Brushless
    RC8.2e

RC Champion
    Not worth the money

$15 3s 1800mah lipo packs offer more power, speed and runtime

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Champion
    yeah, I think that you're right, crusey, but these LiFe packs are much safer and will not explode

RC Enthusiast

Using LiFe packs are fine.

I currently am using 2 1050 LiFe packs in my Mini Summit. Using 1 battery at a time, I barely notice a small decrease in top end compared to the stock packs. But that is because the LiFe packs are 6.6 volts, and the stock packs are 7.2 Volts. But after a minute or so, the Life Packs will continue to deliver good punch until they run out. These packs are fine IMO for the Summit because it sits higher and it is more top heavy. The lower center of gravity in the Slash or the Merv would handle the increase in power alot easier. They also make 3s 9.9 Volt 1050 Packs if you want to stick with Life to be safer.

RC Qualifier
    I don't have any experience with life batteries, but 1050mah isn't very much. Do yourself a big favor and get lipo batteries. You'll never want to go back to anything else. Lipo batteries are safe. All you have to do is read the instructions for proper use and you won't have an issue.

RC Champion
    yeah, I think that you're right, crusey, but these LiFe packs are much safer and will not explode
    Why would a pack explode ?

Look after them properly and they wont give you any drama

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Enthusiast
    I needed a charger so got that setup. The batteries charge fast and I run them in parallel to get 2100mAh and to balance the car. I'm going to get a parallel balancer setup so I can charge both batteries at the same time. I wish someone made a higher mAh LiFe battery though. I found a hyperion Rx LiFe pack that would fit in the 1/16 compartment and is 2100mAh, but I don't know if it would be able to handle the current draw? HP-FG305-2100-2S.
    Driving is not a leisure time activity.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey View Post
    Why would a pack explode ?

Look after them properly and they wont give you any drama

Cheers
    I'm still just not sure about Li-Po batteries, even if I get a Li-Po Sack (or an ammo box). I still just think that they are dangerous. Just my opinion. I know that tons of people run Li-Po batteries and have never had a problem before.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Champion
    Entitled to your opinion mate nobody can argue that

With a few simple precautions they are quite safe, there are always exceptions such as manufacturing defects etc..

Charge in a well ventilated / isolated area
    Never leave charger unattended
    Use a decent lipo specific charger with the correct settings
    Store them correctly
    Use the correctly rated battery for your application

Follow those simple rules and you wont have an issue

Almost all horror stories you hear are from people not following the above rules

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Racer
    I'm still just not sure about Li-Po batteries, even if I get a Li-Po Sack (or an ammo box). I still just think that they are dangerous. Just my opinion. I know that tons of people run Li-Po batteries and have never had a problem before.

I was in the same boat you were a few weeks ago. I was nervous to even buy them. But realized with them being the same batteries that are in your cell phone as long as they are charged correctly. ( lipo charge, correct voltage o the battery etc ) there will be no issues what so ever. I have a 1800 mAh 3S I COULD charge it at 1.8 amps. But I do a balanced charge at .9 amps. From near dead. ( 3.4 v per cell ) it takes an hour and a half to charge. I like the slower .9 amp charge. Maybe it's just me but I think it charges better than maxing out your chargig rate.

Im Assuming lipos when something goes wrong either get hot, bubble, smoke or smell. Or possibly all the above. After 2 hrs on a balanced charge my lipos are full capacity and cool to the touch.

Just do it. You don't know what your missing. Don't let the few ppl that ignored the charge rates and charged the wrong way scare you off

RC Enthusiast
    Oh. I got the Hyperion EOS 0720i-Net3 which can charge at 15amps.

Again, I really like the quick charge times on the LiFe, and feel safer with them. Just wish someone made a higher mAh pack for the 1/16th cars.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressRally View Post
    Oh. I got the Hyperion EOS 0720i-Net3 which can charge at 15amps.

Again, I really like the quick charge times on the LiFe, and feel safer with them. Just wish someone made a higher mAh pack for the 1/16th cars.

How much time do you need? They make up to 3000 mAh 2s lipos. Run in parallel I'm guessing would give you 50 minutes runtime. I guess I lose interest after 45 minutes so it usually doesn't bother me

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by comatoast View Post
    How much time do you need? They make up to 3000 mAh 2s lipos. Run in parallel I'm guessing would give you 50 minutes runtime. I guess I lose interest after 45 minutes so it usually doesn't bother me
    Yeah, that's all you really need is 45-50 minutes. I can't see someone standing for over an hour with a 13,500 mAH Li-Po battery... unless they are hiking or something... that would be fun.
    Last edited by E-RevoVXL; 04-09-2011 at 07:03 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I have had the MA Life 6.6v 1050s for well over a year now.... I run them in series for 4s power... I love em lots of power decent run time I charge them at 2 amps doesn't take that long with the DUO 3!!!! plus no LVC to worry about....

also you get a 5 year warranty or 1000 cycles Ive used this once for a pack swelling....called MA and had a new one in the mail a few days later...
    I have to add that they were my first real packs after NIMH's like a gateway pack LOL once you use these its easier to go to lipo in the sence of always putting them in storage mode and cycling etc...
    V Twin Emaxx
    inferno gt2 aka XO1 Destroyer

RC Enthusiast
    I'm talking about the LiFe packs not LiPo packs. I can only find 1050mAh in LiFe.

Powerpro seems to make a slighty bigger one: http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bat...o-p-30943.html
    Nobody is born with experience.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Powerpro seems to make a slighty bigger one: http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bat...o-p-30943.html
    Those seem like really nice batteries. Has anybody used them before?

RC poster
    what are you charging your 1050mah 2S Life pack at? amps?

RC Qualifier
    I got one 9.9v life.. It's better that 2s not as good a 3s so it's like a medium between them both.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

RC Champion
    reach in your right pocket, there is likely one attached to that phone....
    Welcome to Traxxas.com Yes, EVERYONE here IS a Pro Racer.... [/sarcasm]